Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Dragging a Birmingham born championship player up to the premier league, from a mid table club is a bit different to the way the morons at Chelsea operate. 

I don't mean how the business is done. I just mean the price that'll be put on the player if the football world considers us a 'big' club.

• Like 1

£15m wasn't actually that cheap for Rogers but it would have been more if we had have waited until the summer, for contrary to some comments he was actually doing very well for MIddlesbrough and his price would have shot up come the summer and there would be more competition for his signature by then, we just got in there early because we recognized he was suddenly living up to his earlier potential and he fitted the criteria of what Emery was looking for as himself recently stated, that is a player with similar attributes to Ramsey

If we waited until summer and Rogers had have carried on the way he was, would probably be talking £20m plus and a big chunk of that wouldn't be add ons as it reportedly is with the deal we've got

Middlesbrough did well out of it, they paid £1m for him in the summer, then months later they get £15m, for them was probably too good of an offer to do turn down, and,  they needed the money

They also got Azaz for what some deemed  a very good price, and we had previously helped them with Ramsey and Archer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar happen in the future

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

£15m wasn't actually that cheap for Rogers but it would have been more if we had have waited until the summer, for contrary to some comments he was actually doing very well for MIddlesbrough and his price would have shot up come the summer and there would be more competition for his signature by then, we just got in there early because we recognized he was suddenly living up to his earlier potential and he fitted the criteria of what Emery was looking for as himself recently stated, that is a player with similar attributes to Ramsey

If we waited until summer and Rogers had have carried on the way he was, would probably be talking £20m plus and a big chunk of that wouldn't be add ons as it reportedly is with the deal we've got

Middlesbrough did well out of it, they paid £1m for him in the summer, then months later they get £15m, for them was probably too good of an offer to do turn down, and,  they needed the money

They also got Azaz for what some deemed  a very good price, and we had previously helped them with Ramsey and Archer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar happen in the future

We didn't pay 15m though, we paid 8m with add ons up to 15m.

I would guess we will end up paying most of those add ons though tbf.

I think there's a lesson somewhere, not to judge attacking players soley on goals and assists, although as it happens Rogers stats for Middlesbrough in that regard were decent enough, he has nine goals and ten assists this season, seven of those goals and nine of those assists were for Boro, but he was also doing well in other regards, he was the top player in the Championship for increasing his team's chance of scoring, amongst other things, I think it was said he was also very good defensively

You only have to look at this highlights of his time at MIddlesbrough to see an indication that some of the good play he's been showing for us he was already showing for them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I will say, he will be a full England player , at some point.

As much as his play is really impressive its the attitude that gets me.  When he scored he was signalling back to Bailey ro say great ball and then when he put Ollie in behind to cross for rhe second he was clapping Digne. Plus he touched the Villa crest when he walked in at half time. Love that. He never celebrated his goal much either.  I think in his head 1 all is not good enough and not worth celebrating. THE right attitude not A right attitude on him.

• Like 4

Nice write up on him from sky 

The signing of the January window? How Morgan Rogers hit the ground running at Aston Villa to propel their top-four push, with exclusive insight from Michael Appleton, the man who gave the 21-year-old attacking player his Football League debut…

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/13122814/morgan-rogers-impact-at-aston-villa-strength-skill-and-the-ideal-fit-for-unai-emery-since-signing-in-january

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/04/2024 at 18:15, MaVilla said:

We didn't pay 15m though, we paid 8m with add ons up to 15m.

I would guess we will end up paying most of those add ons though tbf.

We also sold them azaz for fairly cheap who had 3 goals and 3 assists in 13 starts (also made 5 appearances off the bench). 

Only 2.5 mil for a 23 year old who had 7 goals and 5 assists in 26 matches for a relation battling team. 

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

Nice write up on him from sky 

The signing of the January window? How Morgan Rogers hit the ground running at Aston Villa to propel their top-four push, with exclusive insight from Michael Appleton, the man who gave the 21-year-old attacking player his Football League debut…

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/13122814/morgan-rogers-impact-at-aston-villa-strength-skill-and-the-ideal-fit-for-unai-emery-since-signing-in-january

Nice. I love the bit where Appleton says that he had a small side and didnt know how to mark the oppo effectively and Rogers said ' put me on the biggest player and i will do the job ' . He was 18 years old then. Bodes well . As he isnt just big. He is also strong for his size and knows how to use it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Nice. I love the bit where Appleton says that he had a small side and didnt know how to mark the oppo effectively and Rogers said ' put me on the biggest player and i will do the job ' . He was 18 years old then. Bodes well . As he isnt just big. He is also strong for his size and knows how to use it. 

Can see emery doing his homework on him and then asking Mark Harrison about his time with him at the baggies, sounds like another player with a great attitude, it's a clever way to recruit.

I think it may also help us with departures, poor attitude and you will be pushed out.......chuck 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 18:41, useless said:

I think there's a lesson somewhere, not to judge attacking players soley on goals and assists, although as it happens Rogers stats for Middlesbrough in that regard were decent enough, he has nine goals and ten assists this season, seven of those goals and nine of those assists were for Boro, but he was also doing well in other regards, he was the top player in the Championship for increasing his team's chance of scoring, amongst other things, I think it was said he was also very good defensively

You only have to look at this highlights of his time at MIddlesbrough to see an indication that some of the good play he's been showing for us he was already showing for them

You’d have thought Villa fans would have learnt that lesson from Grealish.

We all think this is a great find but anybody that watches the Championship will you tell you he stood out. 

I think we’ve got a bargain.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

On 24/04/2024 at 23:23, T-Dog said:

As much as I like JJ for his club connections, I think we might have found someone on par here, maybe even a better player.

I think they could be on the pitch together and wreak havoc if I'm honest, they are slightly different.

I also think some people have forgotten how good JJ is at his best, due to his prolonged absence and lack of being able to get there this season.

Doesn't always have to be either/or.

Worst case, we have two very good players who are strong, quick and athletic.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think they could be on the pitch together and wreak havoc if I'm honest, they are slightly different.

I also think some people have forgotten how good JJ is at his best, due to his prolonged absence and lack of being able to get there this season.

Doesn't always have to be either/or.

Worst case, we have two very good players who are strong, quick and athletic.

You could at times play Morgan at 10 and then JJ / Buendia and Diaby/ Bailey either side of him with Ollie / Jhon up front. 

Or in a 433 JJ left mid and Morgan left attack. That would be frightening to be fair as they could easily swap positions . 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 17:23, brendanvillatalk said:

I think we only got away with this price because nobody was taking us seriously. The way we're going we'll get stung for Chelsea prices if we spot any others in the championship.

Well, there are players like Rogers that might have interest from say Villa, Palace, Wolves, Spurs.

Wolves and Palace might offer 12m. Us and Spurs can offer 15-16.

Will the parent club say to Villa "no, we won't sell for less that 45"? No chance. The market dictates prices. If Middlesbrough want to make some money, they won't hold out for an improbable 50m. They will sell for what the player is worth. 

Â