Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They're both ball carriers and can see them getting in eachother's way quite a lot.

Can't see a world where Emery would play them together

Getting in each other’s way how?  If they both start they’d have different roles to play.  I mean I agree they play similar roles so would probably be rotated but I’m sure if needs be they could both start at the same time. 

• Like 2

Would love to see both Ramsey/Rogers in the same line-up next season. I'd imagine Rogers would play as a 10 with Watkins like the Man City/Arsenal games if they were to play together. 

Watching his highlights reel from Sunday, I was hit with the sudden realisation of who he reminds me of. The way we stands, moves, runs, turns and dribbles, and even the way he finished for his 2 goals against Brentford and Bournemouth.

He really reminds me of Collymore.

Not sure whether he will end up being a centre forward, and he seems be showing the work ethic that Stan lacked maybe, and hopefully he doesn’t have the issues Stan had, but watching him live and then watching the clips, he has the explosiveness that Collymore had. He’s got the raw natural ability, just needs the attitude and hard work and he could be a star.

But on that basis, I would say that he and Ramsey aren’t actually that similar, and in fact they could play in the same team if Rogers is in the no10 role.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, T-Dog said:

His link up with Oli yesterday gave me a semi. They looked like they'd played together for years, not just for 4 months. I can see them becoming a ridiculous pairing for many years to come.

????????????

semi detached house.jpg

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ramsey, Rogers and Bailey behind Watkins is certainly… powerful. 

Surely Buendia starts ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I look at Rogers and think is this what Aaron Ramsey should have been? Or could be? I know why we sold him, but could he have flourished in the same role? He was more effective than Rogers at Boro by far. 

Not knocking Rogers at all, he's been wonderful. 

12 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I love this kid.  Proper football brain. 

If Archer comes back next season they need to think of a different title for the videos as well....

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I look at Rogers and think is this what Aaron Ramsey should have been? Or could be? I know why we sold him, but could he have flourished in the same role? He was more effective than Rogers at Boro by far. 

He is 5 inches taller probably 3 stone heavier and is a far stronger runner on the ball. Aaron is a very good footballer. So is Philogene. But for the left hand side / number 10 Emery has specific requirements. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Difficult to compare, they are young players with different skill sets who were playing under different managers in a different league.

It could very well be that Rogers is being much better utilised, is maturing more quickly and suits the system better, and Ramsey "peaked" at that level and may not be transposable to the premier league, as happens to many good championship players.

Some decent premier league players also don't seem to get significantly better when they drop down a division, I'm thinking of Westwood and Ayew when we got relegated.

All speculation mind you, I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Ramsey to make that judgement and he may well end up being the better player 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

It might sound so blindingly obvious....but at some point, potential has to be proved.

Its fine, folk saying this player will be this, and that player will be that.....but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The amount of times, I thought, this or that player, would make it....and they didn't.....some did obviously.

It's still too soon, to say will Aaron make it or not....but at some stage, he has to prove it.

I have always thought, the first team, is the only place for potential to be born....Morgan has been lucky, to get his chance, and he has proved he can do it....I don't see any going back for this boy.

I think JJ was lucky to to get his chance, ( meaning an opportune time at the club) and he too, took it.

It's make or break, to get those chances, and luck plays a part too.

I think Morgan has more physicality, to ride the challenges and resist the bullies.....its hard to find the spaces to showcase your talent, with muggers around your neck...Morgan seems to have the necessary frame and feet to do that.

I too was very hopeful of Aaron, but injuries, have derailed his progress.....we will see if he manages to fulfil his promise......I think Morgan is well on his way now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He is 5 inches taller probably 3 stone heavier and is a far stronger runner on the ball. Aaron is a very good footballer. So is Philogene. But for the left hand side / number 10 Emery has specific requirements. 

It makes a huge difference.

if you don't have that....you have to be extremely exceptional.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

It might sound so blindingly obvious....but at some point, potential has to be proved.

Its fine, folk saying this player will be this, and that player will be that.....but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The amount of times, I thought, this or that player, would make it....and they didn't.....some did obviously.

It's still too soon, to say will Aaron make it or not....but at some stage, he has to prove it.

I have always thought, the first team, is the only place for potential to be born....Morgan has been lucky, to get his chance, and he has proved he can do it....I don't see any going back for this boy.

I think JJ was lucky to to get his chance, and he too, took it.

I think Morgan has more physicality, to ride the challenges and resist the bullies.....its hard to find the spaces to showcase your talent, with muggers around your neck...Morgan seems to have the necessary frame and feet to do that.

I too was very hopeful of Aaron, but injuries, have derailed his progress.....we will see if he manages to fulfil his promise......I think Morgan is well on his way now.

Morgan has McGinn strength in a longer frame. Which is a pretty scary proposition for opponents. Thats why in the Pitchside cam you can see Bournemouth resorting to rugby tackling him to stop him.  He has had 3 years out on loan and at Boro. Now he is in an elite set up again i expect him to get far stronger working at BMH. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Morgan has McGinn strength in a longer frame. Which is a pretty scary proposition for opponents. Thats why in the Pitchside cam you can see Bournemouth resorting to rugby tackling him to stop him.  He has had 3 years out on loan and at Boro. Now he is in an elite set up again i expect him to get far stronger working at BMH. 

I think moving forward, our team will become, more powerful.

Morgan relieves that bit of pressure off Ollie, and acts as a decoy, they could become a very formidable duo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think JJ was lucky to to get his chance, and he too, took it.

You are right, but up until a month ago or so I would have said A Ramsey and Rogers were in the same boat - lauded as elite academy players, but yet to make a mark in the big time. Rogers has taken that chance brilliantly, aided as you say, with a bit of luck with injuries. Thats all you need sometimes. 

I was just merely musing if AJ had stayed, whether he would have had chances after Buendia ad JJ's injuries, and Philogene's sale. Who knows? Sliding door moments are everywhere in football. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Its down to character as well, you have to be forceful, strong and confident to push yourself forward when your surrounded by regular premier league and in some cases international players. Rogers has that, I don't think Tim does,  from what I have seen. 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

You are right, but up until a month ago or so I would have said A Ramsey and Rogers were in the same boat - lauded as elite academy players, but yet to make a mark in the big time. Rogers has taken that chance brilliantly, aided as you say, with a bit of luck with injuries. Thats all you need sometimes. 

I was just merely musing if AJ had stayed, whether he would have had chances after Buendia ad JJ's injuries, and Philogene's sale. Who knows? Sliding door moments are everywhere in football. 

I do see your point, and I agree.

I know, I will get criticised for this, but teams like Bournemouth, Brentford and others....won't let you play, so you have to have sufficient muscle to fend them off in addition to the necessary skill to play the game. Officials won't protect players anymore, you have to fend for yourself.....they will just read it as going to ground too easily.

Morgan has proved he can, and he won't be bullied off the ball, without attracting yellows for the aggressor.....sadly, thats where football is.....and physical prowess is not a fancied feature....it's a must.

There are plenty of fine young players, with bags of skill, who will not make the top flight, because of their inability, to let that skill, feature or take effect....they get negated, by stronger players.

Our boys showed on Sunday, they will not be bullied out of the game........that was not the case a while back.

It's all well and good, us all being attracted to the frills of the game.....but it has to be accompanied, by a robust mentality, as we did.

We all know our team is talented.....but, they are now applying it, through a refusal to be out muscled....I say Bravo.

Edited by TRO

Â