• Moreno (Digne 49)
    • Diaby (Ramsey 77)
    • Zaniolo (Bailey 77)
    • Durán (McGinn 86)
    • Iroegbunam (Dendocker 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/12/23 at 23:59

57 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

What a complete load of rocket polishers you all are. Total and complete overreaction - you sound like whining Spurs fans.

It was clear that the players that came in were not anywhere near as good as our first choice for the city game. I'm still enraged at Kamara/ Emi for that stupid sending off. I seriously believe the Sheffield game we win with him in the side.

Pau/ Tielimans were massive misses too. 

Yeah it's frustrating - but to be saying we're back to old Villa after a couple of bad games when our first choice 11 is depleted is a bunch of nonsense. Somebody needs to knock your heads together...

Unai didn't have much to work with to change it up when things weren't working.

It's more annoying because we looked so good for the first 25 minutes and then just sat back. But holy heck - to those of you saying we're back to old Villa given where we are in the table, well, you're idiots.

I think you might have mis read the intention, presuming, I have read it right.

I didn't read folk saying "we are back to old Villa" I read it felt like "Old Villa".....I read that folk were saying THAT PERFORMANCE was back to old Villa, implying similar traits...I think there is a subtle difference.

lets see how we react.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

What a complete load of rocket polishers you all are. Total and complete overreaction - you sound like whining Spurs fans.

It was clear that the players that came in were not anywhere near as good as our first choice for the city game. I'm still enraged at Kamara/ Emi for that stupid sending off. I seriously believe the Sheffield game we win with him in the side.

Yeah it's frustrating - but to be saying we're back to old Villa after a couple of bad games when our first choice 11 is depleted is a bunch of nonsense. Somebody needs to knock your heads together...

It's more annoying because we looked so good for the first 25 minutes and then just sat back. But holy heck - to those of you saying we're back to old Villa given where we are in the table, well, you're idiots.

Has anybody actually said we are back to old villa?  I agree though that in certain positions we don't have backup players thst csn to a similar job. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Has anybody actually said we are back to old villa?  I agree though that in certain positions we don't have backup players thst csn to a similar job. 

Don't think so.

• Like 1

I had such faith that Villa would manage the game and Trust Unai etc that I was shocked that it all fell apart. I'm still sort of reeling.

There were moments of concern in playing it out early on where it all went to shit because of the 6 outfield players who work it out, 4 were back up or playing out of position. Only Luis and Digne were where they should be. And then Digne went off so there was only 1 of the first choice in position. 

And that was not likely to hold, despite the lead. I would have been happy with a draw going into the game and we nearly got it. I wonder if we could have abandoned our playing it out early on and try to go long just to not run the gauntlet on those 5 back up players. Maybe easier to say in hindsight. 

Thought I'd leave it a while after the result before posting....but still so, so angry. For the first time in my 40 years I felt we were dominating and bossing at OT. Then after 30 mins the arse fell out of our performance and we threw it away. So sloppy, tired, lackadaisical and plain self inflicted wounds. Holes down the sides that they barely broke sweat to exploit, Diego passing Luiz into trouble every time, Watkins and diaby awol and nothing on the bench left to shift momentum. I get we're tired, I get we're 10 years behind the gulf states, I get we're backed up with injuries and suspensions, I get its just 1 game, I get its the first time we've lacked resilience....but I'm just so disappointed. I'm normally a glass half empty type but emery had me dreaming. Please get back to it vrs Burnley. I liked the feeling from before the 23rd. 

Edited by tommytenjobs
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Certainly ruined my evening which had been excellent pre-9 o’clock 

I thought you were ready to behead someone after losing a Christmas quiz?! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YLN said:

I had such faith that Villa would manage the game and Trust Unai etc that I was shocked that it all fell apart. I'm still sort of reeling.

There were moments of concern in playing it out early on where it all went to shit because of the 6 outfield players who work it out, 4 were back up or playing out of position. Only Luis and Digne were where they should be. And then Digne went off so there was only 1 of the first choice in position. 

And that was not likely to hold, despite the lead. I would have been happy with a draw going into the game and we nearly got it. I wonder if we could have abandoned our playing it out early on and try to go long just to not run the gauntlet on those 5 back up players. Maybe easier to say in hindsight. 

Similar feelings.... Just when I had begun to "re-programme" myself to Unai's Villa, we blew it at Old Trafford and all the bad memories came flooding back.... 

I considered the same as you - to going long to bypass the press, but then with Varane and Evans, in particular, being dominant in the air I just couldn't see a way of playing that would have allowed us to get back into any sort of rhythm.  I was hoping we would bring on Duran and Zaniolo a bit earlier to compete for long balls with their centre-backs, and change how we were playing, but to be fair, Utd had so much momentum at that point, the result was inevitable.....

I just think we were very poor from the off. We scored from 2 set pieces due to the worst defending you'll ever see, but did absolutely nothing from open play. 

Saw a bunch of tweets at half time suggesting we'd played well but genuinely not sure what game they were watching. 

Although they were offside a lot, they played so many balls over the top that they only needed a few to work. They snatched at a few chances in the first half, but were more composed in the second. 

We didn't deserve anything and the scoreline flattered us. Just beaten by a much better team on the night. 

• Like 1

Honestly I don't think they were much better.

In the first half - they were largely useless. People still harp on the balls over the top but it was predictable and caught offside easily.

It wasn't as if they barraged our goal either. 

They found a tactic and exploited it ruthlessly - which only really highlighted what we all knew since Legia away - our reserve players are not up to the way Unai wants us to play.

I think, more than anything, people are bitter that we had a 2-0 lead at OT against a pretty hapless United team in the first half. It's hardly a side of fluidity and cutting passes. A bit like Newcastle in a way -they just stole the ball and then ran hard and used a numbers game in transition.

Their league position will be lower than us at the end of the year because the way they play is not sustainable.

But under the lights in OT, Boxing Day, a new 25% ownership to make them feel better, the crowd eager and braying - we buckled.

The reverse happened to both City and Arsenal at home as they buckled under intense pressure from Villa and the fans. That's football.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Thanks 1

Other teams will analyze this game and implement similar tactics.

Which is spamming long balls in behind.

Unai needs to find a way to counter it.

United actually beat the offside trap far more times than we are used to.

Edited by Pinebro

I’ve stayed off here for the last day just to allow myself to calm down. 

All I’ll say is this, no one will be more angry/ disappointed with that second half than Emery. Every setback under Unai we have seen a positive reaction. I expect to see another against Burnley. 

49 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I’ve stayed off here for the last day just to allow myself to calm down. 

All I’ll say is this, no one will be more angry/ disappointed with that second half than Emery. Every setback under Unai we have seen a positive reaction. I expect to see another against Burnley. 

But Sheff Utd was a setback considering the positions of the sides involved. :(  yesterday wasn’t a positive reaction. It sucked. 

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you might have mis read the intention, presuming, I have read it right.

I didn't read folk saying "we are back to old Villa" I read it felt like "Old Villa".....I read that folk were saying THAT PERFORMANCE was back to old Villa, implying similar traits...I think there is a subtle difference.

lets see how we react.

Yes if you're going to on a rant like the one you posted on, it's pretty important that you aren't oblivious to context....

Spot on mate!

6 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Well if you are going to on a wild rant like this, you would want make sure you're accurate about what was said.

You have gone off one and you're not accurate with your facts.

To label people idiots when you are totally out of context..... Is interesting to say the least....

I wasn't bothered conceding those goals because it was so obvious they were coming.

As time goes on I'm getting angrier. We've been robbed of an all-timer.

The lasting image of Fernandes standing offside in a huff, taking himself out of the game, should be going down in history as something we can laugh at forever.

Only thing that cheers me up is that they are still shit and will continue to lose to most sides.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

It's the manner of the defeat.

It's like defeats like that isn't supposed to happen under Emery.

Normally he is pro active with subs to prevent that from happening and change the flow of the game. He didn't on Tuesday.

Little concerning. I can handle defeats but not in that manner. Like watching the Villa of old.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 2

On 27/12/2023 at 05:34, Kiwivillan said:

Can't believe we went 2-0 up against the team I watched lose comprehensively to Bournemouth recently. I said after 2-0 up why have we given up high press on their defenders and letting them run at us. Seemed like we gave up on the basics that have seen us do well. I can't help but put that on the players not following the gameplan

Whilast you may be right, there’s no denying that was a tired performance after a long run of difficult games most of which we did very well in. It’s the stage of the season when injuries amd suspensions start to really hurt the less experienced and less expensively built squads, like ours. Why do you think that the FFP immune Man City consistently win the league and late season cups? This January Pep the Cheque will be up to his usual tricks of strengthening their squad wether they need to or not and weakening their rivals, I hope we’re not stimied by the usual ffp nonsense designed to protect the hierarchy amd keep the likes of us in our place. I’ve no love for Newcastle and particularly their state ownership and how it conducts it’s sport washing nonsense to hide their sins but it’s noticeable that they’ve been fairly aware of ffp and haven’t used their full financial muscle as they know the world is watching, However their results and performances have dropped off at this stage, the PL and European football is as bent as a fishing rod with a good fish on the hook. I hope we can find a way to strengthen in January, central midfield muscle is always handy and Sorry @TRO a fancy Dan winger who scores and creates goals would be just fine. Control and fear is a great combination for a team like us. 

Â