Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

34 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Definitely seems a new breed of supporter around me in the lower holte , mass over reaction to the performance , streaming out when Sheffield scored and moaning non stop. We are still unbeaten at home for 10 months. It's almost like they have only just starting supporting us , it's the best it's been now for 15 years or more , get behind the team.

Yes there is definitely a sense of entitlement that has come with this changing set of results and aims for the season.

A lot around me were angry saying we should be beating Sheffield United, but then equally surely we shouldn't be beating Man City and Arsenal back to back, unless we've suddenly broken the code for football, and win every game we ever play. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul33 said:

McGinn was poor, Luiz was poor, Ramsey had 30 minutes and was then dead in terms of fitness, Watkins was lazy and tactically we failed to deliver quality final balls up front.

............ we go again !

You should have woken up today and edited this , your having a bad emotional reaction, if bailey goal is given you would NOT be saying this, its funny how a goal can change a whole dimension, both luiz and mcginn played well , ramsey and cash DID not 

Edited by RicRic
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

PGMOL have waited so long since the phantom goal to rectify it against us and Sheffield United.

And Wilder is still an absolute bellend. A modern day Allerdyce of a shithouse and dinosaur manager.

Wilder is mot a bellend because he played defensive football. He knew they couldn't beat us, so set up to hold us back, an it worked, bloody well too. If that was us in the dark days, we would be over the moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Slept on it before commenting here, but that joint refereeing performance from the on pitch ref and VAR was truly atrocious. 

I think there were two bad subjective calls (the Watkins penalty and the Bailey goal) and then one truly horrific call,  with the handball.

For the first two,  you can't claim Ramsey is fouling the keeper,  and that Watkins wasn't fouled. So either we should have a penalty, or neither is a foul and we should have a goal.  There's an argument we should have both, but I accept Ramsey was fouling the keeper, even if he was being fouled himself, and the phase of play thing is all a bit of subjective nonsense. 

Then you have the truly poor decision of the movement of an arm towards the ball which connects with it in the penalty area.  How in the world is that not a penalty?

I dont buy that we didn't create enough against bottom of the league.  They didn't play like bottom of the league. They didn't play like they have done all season. We created 2 clear chances, one of which we scored from,  and then had two penalty calls and a disallowed goal. We weren't relying on one moment of magic. And by the time Sheffield scored we'd been robbed by the ref a number of times. 

Games like this make me hate football. 

Perspective on the situation though,  we're second on goal difference and good chance we still make make top spot later in January.  And we'd have lost that game as the villa of old. 

It's not a penalty because the ball hits above the "sleeve line".  It was also why the VAR check was so short (which people were moaning about).  As above, they've just **** the handball rule entirely.

A lot of people have been angry about the refereeing decisions but, for me, the only one which I think was wrong was the foul on Watkins first half.  On the disallowed goal, I think it could be argued that Ramsey is pulling down the goalkeepers' arm at the same time as being pulled so the goal should stand, but I think Ramsey was pulling down first (marginally).  The more contentious aspect was the amount of time allowed between that incident and Sheff Utd (not be able to) clearing the ball which is pretty debatable - but I always go for the "would I want <x> if it happened the other way round" and I'd probably think the goal should be disallowed.

The Watkins one though... he's just shoved from behind.  It should be a penalty.  That said, they've got previous for pushes being allowed so who knows what the hell is going on.  But yeah, that's the call I think they got wrong.  The penalty for handball is the correct call and the disallowed goal is probably fair enough.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Wilder is mot a bellend because he played defensive football. He knew they couldn't beat us, so set up to hold us back, an it worked, bloody well too. If that was us in the dark days, we would be over the moon.

I know I just think he's a bellend.

As the rules on phases of play read: “Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack”.

The Sheffield United defence and goalkeeper had time to reset once the ball left their box, the goalkeeper wasn’t impeded thereafter, and we don’t regain the ball until Ollie intervenes. by the wording of the law, it’s a perfectly valid goal for me. 

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297401

1 hour ago, mattyvilla said:

Definitely seems a new breed of supporter around me in the lower holte , mass over reaction to the performance , streaming out when Sheffield scored and moaning non stop. We are still unbeaten at home for 10 months. It's almost like they have only just starting supporting us , it's the best it's been now for 15 years or more , get behind the team.

I've seen this at the women's matches this season too, after last season's success, more people attend, we don't play well, those people moan and leave. Last season I don't think I really heard any complaining even when we weren't playing well, nothing but support.

• Like 1

It’s really frustrating but end of the day we didn’t create enough chances and work their goalie enough. Needed to go a bit more direct when running out of time but I get why Emery wouldn’t want to do that. 

Go and win at all Old Trafford and all is forgotten. 

3 minutes ago, peterwithethewinner said:

Very frustrating game for us. Will be interesting to see what(if anything) we do differently when Burnley visit

Burnley won’t park the bus the same way. They try to come out and play more which will be their downfall.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Out of interest, where we disposess Sheffield United as they leave their area with the ball, but if we fouled them, is that a yellow card and a free kick to Sheff U, or do you go back to the goalkeeper foul? 

I'm genuinely confused. Is it only a foul on the keeper because it's a goal. 

Edited by turvontour

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

No - because it's not a handball.

They've royalty stuffed up the rule.

I didn’t get my point across at all there, but I meant will it be like those times where they’ve ballsed up and changed the rule afterwards and say sorry it won’t happen again (like that ridiculous offside goal that Man City scored two seasons ago)

I’m sure we’ll be getting an apology from PGMOL in the coming days, at least one of the four key decisions (3 x penalties and 1 x disallowed goal) should have gone our way. The Watkins one for me was the most blatant but the handball not given comes close and I’m amazed that our disallowed goal was deemed a clear and obvious mistake.

• Like 1

Probably time to stop dwelling on VAR decisions. What’s done is done. Another game like Brentford where we struggled to create too many chances against a packed and well organised defence. This is what needs addressing, not irreversible VAR decisions.

• Like 1