Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

18 hours ago, PaulC said:

Maybe but I'd like to know what our results are without Kamara In the team.  Luiz gets all the plaudits but for Kamara is key to the way we play. 

They offer different qualities....but like any well oiled machine, one component missing, disrupts the synchronisation.

Thats why we need like for like cover as best as we can.....deploying players, with qualities best suited elsewhere is not the complete answer, just a temporary stop gap.

Our strength in depth will be tested over the second half of the season....This is where Man City usually show their worth.

3 hours ago, tinker said:

The whole weekend has been littered with horrendous decisions,  there's no agenda against us the officials are just crap, full stop. 

I'd agree with that.  Except they generally get more intimidated the bigger the home crowd which then benefits the "bigger" club 

3 hours ago, tinker said:

The whole weekend has been littered with horrendous decisions,  there's no agenda against us the officials are just crap, full stop. 

or is it that, the constant tinkering with the rules has everyone in a tizz. I don't mind saying, I have lost track, with what is right or wrong....but I guess, that could be a plan to stop folks moaning.

Some rules are so subjective, that it renders the ref, decides who wins the match.

The shoving has become a joke to me, particularly with the hands, how can that be subjective?  how is a hard shove or a soft shove with the hands, up for debate, its a shove?...how can any ref or anyone, determine the pressure applied, its absurd.

We all know, what a shoulder charge looks like, and it should be confined to that.

Too many subjective, elements and versions are creeping in and making the game an enigma.

On top of all that the media pundits, seem to think they are the authority on the decision process, when in fact its just another opinion.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

or is it that, the constant tinkering with the rules has everyone in a tizz. I don't mind saying, I have lost track, with what is right or wrong....but I guess, that could be a plan to stop folks moaning.

Some rules are so subjective, that it renders the ref, decides who wins the match.

The shoving has become a joke to me, particularly with the hands, how can that be subjective?  how is a hard shove or a soft shove with the hands, up for debate, its a shove?...how can any ref or anyone, determine the pressure applied, its absurd.

We all know, what a shoulder charge looks like, and it should be confined to that.

Too many subjective, elements and versions are creeping in and making the game an enigma.

On top of all that the media pundits, seem to think they are the authority on the decision process, when in fact its just another opinion.

There's always offences that are subjective but the hand ball in our game and even more so the Liverpool Arsenal game and the Forest sending off are just downright incompetent.

Any red card, even if its the second of two yellows should be checked. Its just common sense. Some of the people watching VAR seem completely hopeless, they need to held accountable and fucXed off if they can't grasp the basics of the game. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tinker said:

There's always offences that are subjective but the hand ball in our game and even more so the Liverpool Arsenal game and the Forest sending off are just downright incompetent.

Any red card, even if its the second of two yellows should be checked. Its just common sense. Some of the people watching VAR seem completely hopeless, they need to held accountable and fucXed off if they can't grasp the basics of the game. 

I agree....The mistakes they are making, seem to be judged by them as just collateral damage.

These mistakes cannot just drift, as unbridled elements of the game.

I accept mistakes will always be made, but I think the issue here is, some/many are just plain obvious....for example, when a shirt is pulled, how can that have mitigation?, how can it be subjective?....its becoming farcical.

I now see some Media numpties suggesting with VAR that you win some or lose some.....No, mate( to them) if its wrong, its wrong......you win every decision, if its right.

The notion that VAR becomes a random gift, is preposterous.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Reflecting a bit more on it.

I think we let the VAR decisions especially the overturned goal affected us. We lost control after that. They had all their 5 shots at goal in a 10 min period after that and took the lead. That was the disappointing part, losing control of the game by allowing events affect you. We could easily have turned up pressure as game went on and got a winner if we kept control of the match.

Positives are the fact we kept going and managed to get the point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I agree....The mistakes they are making, seem to be judged by them as just collateral damage.

These mistakes cannot just drift as unbridled, elements of the game.

I accept mistakes will always be made, but I think the issue here is some/many are just plain obvious....for example, when a shirt is pulled, how can that have mitigation?, how can it be subjective?....its becoming farcical.

I now see some Media numpties suggesting with VAR that you win some or lose some.....No, mate if its wrong, its wrong......you win every decision, if its right.

The notion that VAR becomes a random gift, is preposterous.

May as well spin a wheel of fortune/misfortune and add some real suspense, drama to the whole show, could show it on the score boards.

Joking apart the fact it isn't being addressed by those who are in a position to change things and make improvements is the worst part of it all. They need to be questioned, who governs them? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we let the VAR decisions especially the overturned goal affected us. We lost control after that. They had all their 5 shots at goal in a 10 min period after that and took the lead. That was the disappointing part, losing control of the game by allowing events affect you. We could easily have turned up pressure as game went on and got a winner if we kept control of the match.

Tbh a comment I heard in the crowd,  more than once, was what's the point in scoring when they will disallow it anyway. 

VAR needs to keep the fans informed, why the replay isn't shown on the screen in the  ground while they are making the decision and even the audio played is another mystery, just hiding incompetence is my guess. 

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

stoicism can be a useful tool in such circumstances.....Project for UE.

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

May as well spin a wheel of fortune/misfortune and add some real suspense, drama to the whole show, could show it on the score boards.

Joking apart the fact it isn't being addressed by those who are in a position to change things and make improvements is the worst part of it all. They need to be questioned, who governs them? 

Just tickled me....my imagination is a weakness, at times.

I accept the randomness of VAR in football. It's just a new part of the random. Without it we'd just complain about players being on side or offside and scoring. Ref missing fouls etc..

The randomness of these things benefits one team over another and vice versa. It is part of the game and critically a part that the team and players are not in control of.

How the players react to these things is in their control. I think Emery would accept a game where we were in control for the whole match and had an off day in terms of chances created. 

I think Emery would have been very annoyed at the loss of control but the fight we showed to get a draw was also a positive. Of it was a 0-0 he would have been accepting of the result. 

It got overlooked that 78% possession is the most Villa have had in a game ever in the Premier League. 

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If there was no VAR we still wouldn’t have got the penalties but we wouldn’t have had the goal wrongly chalked off either. 

I don’t understand why they are finding it all so hard to get right.  

Swings and roundabouts. You get some go your way you get some that don't.  Hopefully it levels itself out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Swings and roundabouts. You get some go your way you get some that don't.  Hopefully it levels itself out.

I guess it’s just frustrating when there is 3 in one game. PGMOL have apologised and explained why a penalty wasn’t given to Liverpool. I actually understand why they didn’t give it as he slipped. But what is the explanation for the Sheffield United handball? I just can’t get my head around how it’s not a penalty and I haven’t seen an explanation from PGMOL either. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I guess it’s just frustrating when there is 3 in one game. PGMOL have apologised and explained why a penalty wasn’t given to Liverpool. I actually understand why they didn’t give it as he slipped. But what is the explanation for the Sheffield United handball? I just can’t get my head around how it’s not a penalty and I haven’t seen an explanation from PGMOL either. 

We don't get explanations, that's only for the beloved few. I'm still baffled by the disallowed goal and penalty but have moved on now and looking forward to six more points to Villa this week.

• Like 1

Our biggest problem against Sheffield United and other low block teams is we don't shoot from outside the area enough, we are trying to be to precise, bit like the arsenal team under wenger.

Also our wide players are so easy to defend against as the don't go past the full back and there's no over lapping, also doesn't help we play with inverted wingers.

Cash frustrates me as he goes down the wing but always cuts back its so easy to read.

When we started with Bailey and diaby I was expecting them to switch wings and us to go for it down both wings, but all they did was focus on the right side and being left footed was easy to play against.

I love how we play and it works against teams that play, but against the low block we run out of ideas.

Any onto man United, 3 points there for the taking and we need to keep this run going.

Utv

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So everyone saying we have no chance of finishing top 4 after drawing against bottom of the league Sheffield, don't know what they are talking about.

Arsenal and Liverpool BOTH drew against bottom-of-the-league Saints last year, and they both landed in CL spots.

• Like 2

Â