Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/12/23 at 23:59

54 minutes ago, allani said:

Not sure how we were lucky.  We were on top well before the red card - sure it reduced the threat of them scoring on the break but it was a potential career ender from Ben Mee.  If Bailey's foot had been planted on the floor who knows what damage would have been done.

We were 1-0 down and getting caught on the break regularly, and although we dominated possession, we weren’t creating clear chances.

Of course the red card was deserved, but we needed that stupidity from Mee to change the momentum of the game.

A well earned win on the road in the end, but wasn’t a vintage performance by any means.

• Like 1

I’m confident he will make sure they learn from this. Even the most experienced teams and players have their moments. 
Brentford away is one of those games we have never coped well with, and I think in previous years we might have crumbled under the physical pressure and gamesmanship they were trying. But we are made of sterner stuff now, and I think we gave as good as we got.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Pretty terrible for 75 minutes lets be honest. Sorted ourselves out for 10 minutes, took the lead and then lost our heads? :lol:

The adrenaline of 2nd place must have hit because **** knows what we were doing towards the end, complete shambles. 

I still worry about the away performances but big win. We move. 

Really? Thought we controlled the game and created enough in the first half to get at least one goal. Ramsey, Moreno (x2) misses were all decent chances. Brentford make it hard for every team to create chances (see: Arsenal vs them recently) so I thought we were pretty good. A more front-foot performance than alot of the other away games. And so much grit to get the win. Very important to win that for our confidence away from home. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67743379

Brentford Boss Thomas Frank says he "didn't like" some of the behaviour by both sides after an ill-tempered match ended in a 2-1 victory for Aston Villa.

He's convinced that when Maupay tried to bounce across Konsa is was a penalty and thinks it was the big turning point in the game - grasping at straws.

In fairness, I actually think the VAR did really well today. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We were 1-0 down and getting caught on the break regularly, and although we dominated possession, we weren’t creating clear chances.

Of course the red card was deserved, but we needed that stupidity from Mee to change the momentum of the game.

A well earned win on the road in the end, but wasn’t a vintage performance by any means.

They had four shots all game. Of course they're going to get chances on the counter with the way they sit behind the ball and how we push up the pitch. But I don't think they were a constant threat by any means. 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 3

In the end, I'm pleased that we've found a way to win without our two creative midfielders - dug deep, hung in and found a way. Brentford in the end beat themselves and all we needed to do was keep some pressure on.

Doug back for the next one, Kamara out, hopefully Tielemans back for the one after that - we need to learn not to get sucked into this stuff, but it's a lovely away win and we can look forward to Friday.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, I actually think the VAR did really well today. 

Certainly got the first red card correct that the idiot ref thought only a yellow.

This is what VAR should be for, not micro millimetric offsides

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Really? Thought we controlled the game and created enough in the first half to get at least one goal. Ramsey, Moreno (x2) misses were all decent chances. Brentford make it hard for every team to create chances (see: Arsenal vs them recently) so I thought we were pretty good. A more front-foot performance than alot of the other away games. And so much grit to get the win. Very important to win that for our confidence away from home. 

Strange game as I thought we were by far the better team first half and should have had 3 goals. Second half, a goal up, they decided to be shithouses knowing they were winning and rather than, as in the past, crumble under that we went toe to toe at them.

We thoroughly deserved that win, no matter how frustrating it was. I hater this Frank Brentford side. Bunch of shithouses hiding their horrible intent and tactics behind being plucky.

How they go down.

Edited by stewiek2

19 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Were we?  I am pretty sure that most of their breaks were flagged offside (or would have been had VAR had to intervene).  There was one run in the second half where the guy made a great run from deep and did break the offside trap.  The trouble is that with the linesmen not flagging immediately a lot of attacks are allowed to develop that really shouldn't.  It is hard to create clear chances when the opposition have all 10 outfield players camped on the edge of their own box.  When we did create gaps they tended to fall to the likes of Konsa, Cash or Moreno rather than one of our attacking players who might be more likely to get a good shot away.  Moreno and Cash both had really good chances and Ramsey had a very clear cut chance that he completely fluffed.  The commentators on the channel I watched said at half-time that Brentford had created more and then the stats came up and showed the exact opposite - the "chances" that they created were all chalked off the official stats because they were flagged for offside and so don't count.

• Like 2

What a ride in the second half. Like everyone else, super happy with the win, the grit and standing up for team mates. Need to be smarter though when winning and just minutes to go. Love Emi  but so lucky to not get red carded. He’s usually so good at provoking but not being provoked and he just got sucked in.

I’m mostly going to miss Kamara playing with Dougie vs Man Utd on Boxing Day. Set to watch with my Dad and kids (massive Villa fans) and my brother who became a Manure fan at the age of 11 because he couldn’t take the Villa rollercoaster. I’m guessing it will be Dougie and McGinn in the middle. We are just so better with McGinn a bit forward and free to deploy the butt as needed.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Were we?  I am pretty sure that most of their breaks were flagged offside (or would have been had VAR had to intervene).  There was one run in the second half where the guy made a great run from deep and did break the offside trap.  The trouble is that with the linesmen not flagging immediately a lot of attacks are allowed to develop that really shouldn't.  It is hard to create clear chances when the opposition have all 10 outfield players camped on the edge of their own box.  When we did create gaps they tended to fall to the likes of Konsa, Cash or Moreno rather than one of our attacking players who might be more likely to get a good shot away.  Moreno and Cash both had really good chances and Ramsey had a very clear cut chance that he completely fluffed.  The commentators on the channel I watched said at half-time that Brentford had created more and then the stats came up and showed the exact opposite - the "chances" that they created were all chalked off the official stats because they were flagged for offside and so don't count.

V fair point re the late flags