2. 2. Manager's Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/23 at 23:59

Was at work, had to watch on replay and already knowing the score.  Citeh spent the whole first half not understanding what kind of match they were in, and I expect Pep counted himself lucky to be even at the break.  He lit some fire under his squad, and the first 15 minutes of the second half they actually tried to win the match... what's most impressive to me is that we didn't care, we just ate it all up and kept total control of proceedings.  Then from minute 60 on we bossed them utterly.  All of our possession was effective, all of theirs was utterly wasted.

We go again.  :D

Just a feeling of imense pride after tonight.  Special, special night. We just turned over the reigning league and European champions. Ok they had a few players out but they have an extensive squad of talent. Our midfield destroyed theirs. In the first half McGinn was world-class, tired a bit in the second. All of our players were at least 9 out of 10. Fair play to Bailey he deserved his goal he never stopped trying.  

Wave after wave of attacks with the Holte End roaring. Really got the hairs on the back of my neck up. It almost makes up for the years of total dross for nights like these. Those amiable ghosts came out tonight.

Arsenal, we are coming for you next. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

The arrogance of their fans before the game was staggering. I thought deep down we’d win but wouldn’t let myself believe it cos Villa. They thought they’d batter us. Absolutely no acknowledgment of where we are, what we have achieved and how unbeatable we are at home. Such a god awful club. 

Despite all of their recent dominance and trophies they are still a nothing club. The fanbase is a mixture of old timers who still harbour a small club syndrome for all of the years of United finishing ahead of them, or a load of new Sky 6 fans who have no real connection to the club.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Extraordinary.

We play the best football Ive ever seen a Villa team play - we're the smartest team in the league - he's just incredible.

it was a surreal thing to watch. no 5 or even 10 minute highlight reel can impart the true brilliance of the performance. we were performing a ballet inside their penalty area time and again. the determination was Shackleton-esque. i still cant believe that happened

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

i think that might be the best performance from a Villa side I've ever seen and I'm 51 years old.

I mean, we've beaten big teams before, had good performances, won big games, won trophies, but this performance was just something else - the European champions, outplayed, outworked, outthought; we were simply better than them. This was no fluke, there was no radical plan catching them off guard, no daft luck or huge man up front tricks, no novelties - we did what we do, we played the excellent football that we do and we were simply too good for them.

Every one of those players performed; Martinez only faced two shots, but kept them out brilliantly and passed the ball well from the back, Digne, tireless and all over Bernardo Silva, Torres, coolness personified on the ball, Diego Carlos, good in possession and too strong for Haaland, Ezri Konsa, Ezri f****ng Konsa, just...wow! 2023 Ezri Konsa is extraordinary, unbeatable in defence and suddenly very capable of bringing the ball out to hurt teams. Doug was excellent, he always is, and I thought Kamara had his best game for us. McGinn and his arse played like two men. Workaholic Watkins pressed all of City's centre halves relentlessly (and there were about five of them), and Tielemans worked his socks off and earned the right to make little flicks and tricks work for him late on.Then the icing on our cake was a confident, motivated, well drilled Leon Bailey free to cause havoc and loving it.

The noise at times was ridiculous, the celebrations for the goal nearly took the roof off - Villa Park on a big night is something special and this was one to remember.

And in the middle of it, watching, adjusting, cajoling, organising, thinking, is this extraordinary man, this extraordinary manager, methodically building a team in his own image - efficient, passionate, intelligent and capable - Unai Emery is at the heart of everything good we're doing, we're lucky to have him, he may be the best manager in this league.

We have great owners, a great manager and some great players - that's the recipe for these great performances, for a team that controlled a game against one of the worlds best teams, through our confidence on the ball and without it, that's the recipe for great nights, great results and a great future.

My throat hurts, but my heart is full, my smile is wide and I'm excited for where we're going.This was a performance that shouted our name loud enough to hear right through football - they know who we are - we're Aston Villa and we're only getting started.

And no cheating to spoil the occasion. 

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Arsenal have just collectively shit their pants.

I worry that we might have emptied the tank. They rested a few regulars vs Luton and will be fresher than us. But I still back us to win because Emery has captured lightning in a bottle.

Almost finished the Unai statue! MY GOODNESS!!! i am absolutely f**king buzzing!!! GET IN!!! Villa boys what a bloody win .. really cannot believe what I witnessed live in villa park tonight , the type of performance we just put on that was quite the display, leon bailey was mesmerising to watch and simply outstanding, Mcginn and Konsa were exquisite! And pretty much everyone else were solid

Stunned by all that and lost for words my first match at villa park this season and what a treat!! , i sung my heart out walking out that stadium today filled with goosebumps I BLOODY LOVE THIS CLUB AND Im on CLOUD NINE tonight.

About time we beat that w**ker Pep and his oil money boys which was eating away at me before tonight and we have finally done it after 10 years!! This is NOT the villa i know but i f**king love It 🤣, everything just feels amazing right now really does UTV ! 😍 

p.s gonna be knackered in the morning for work god help me 😂

• Like 4

You could FEEL Villa Park through the television tonight from the moment the teams came out the tunnel. It looked like everyone was standing the whole game, which is incredible. I'm envious of every Villan that witnessed that in person. This match, this performance will never be forgotten. 

Incredibly proud of the team and the supporters and I hope Deano enjoyed that too. These are the days, my friends, it's been a long time coming, but they are here!

Up The Villa!

• Like 1

From Blue Moon:

Fair play to Villa...although we were nowhere near our usual self and massively understrength no team has done that to us for years and years. It really could have been 5 or 6 and we could have had no complaints.

I'm just speechless.  And I'm watching a replay of the game to relive it all again.  I'm 49yrs old and given the opponent- that's the best I've ever seen a Villa team play.  They couldn't lay a glove on us, we were in complete control and dominant for the vast majority of the match.  Could have easily been 2-0 or 3-0.  Should have been frankly.

I saw on twitter from one of the xG stat posters- from the 11th minute until the end of the match- Citeh had 0.00 xG.  Thats how dominant Villa were today.  Remarkable.  Bring on the Arse this weekend. 

UTV

• Like 1