Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

Villaphan04

Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?   

188 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather win the ECL or FA Cup or qualify for the Champions League this season?

• FA Cup
    • CL Qualification
    • Conference League

This poll is closed to new votes

47 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

FA cup only trophy I have not seen us win. 

I was a kid for winning The League and European Cup.  Been to 4 League Cup Finals seen us win 2.  And 2 FA Cup finals both massive let downs.   So the FA Cup is the holy grail for me.

Have you seen us win the europa conference? 

;)

Conference league all day long. It's a European trophy.

Also, we play FA cup every year. I am hoping this year is a rare occasion when we play in 3rd tier European competition. 

And UCL qualification is not exclusive of either. 

• Like 1

I would rather win a cup, probably fa cup.  I feel if we get CL qualification this year, we'll never win anything.  The pressure to maintain CL football via the prem will mean we will always drop out of the domestic cups early and we will have very little chance to actually win the prem or CL.

Win a cup, then qualify next year 👍

12 hours ago, skarroki said:

Are you alright? You think what you wrote is a clear articulation of the certain future? If we finish top 4 we're guaranteed to keep hold of all our players and manager and also bring in better players and then win lots of trophies? If we win a cup instead it'll doom the club into a spiral?

This is supposed to be a bit of fun, you don't need to suggest that people who want to win a cup this year are mentally unwell. People are allowed to think different things. 

Are you alright? Can you read? Do you know the meaning of the words potentially, maybe and opportunity? 

I’ve not said anything about doom spirals etc and yes if we do finish top 4 we are pretty much guaranteed to hold onto every player we want, the manager and attract better players.

Carry on imagining what you want about what you think I posted.

Edited by DakotaVilla

10 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

It's a bit of a stupid question, as only the most shortsighted fan would take a cup over CL qualification. West Ham winning the Conference hasn't made much difference to their finances and hasn't helped them attract world class players. CL qualification allows that and gives more headroom for FFP. 

I'll stay short sighted then and hope for the FA Cup........fortunately I'm a football supporter rather than an accountant, so turning down trophies on the vague premise that coming 4th or 5th in the table keeps the number crunchers happy doesnt appeal to me.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah kind of my feeling too. 

The last FA Cup final of relevance was the 1991 one between Forest and Spurs. Slow decline since, with the rise of the Premier and Champions League.

Urgh I wish you’d told me that before the 2000 final, I’d have felt much better about our loss

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

I'll stay short sighted then and hope for the FA Cup........fortunately I'm a football supporter rather than an accountant, so turning down trophies on the vague premise that coming 4th or 5th in the table keeps the number crunchers happy doesnt appeal to me.

It's more about the players. Players want champions league and will move in order to play it.

1 minute ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Grew up in the 80s when the FA cup was massive, so would love to see us win that. But thinking about it, champions league qualification would probably attract the quality of players that would enable us to go on and challenge for a trophy every season.

I dunno, I think with the money, the draw of the PL, Unai, the players we already have and what were doing we can attract some very good players regardless

If we can get 2 or 3 more players on the level of Torres and Diaby we'll be fine 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, I think with the money, the draw of the PL, Unai, the players we already have and what were doing we can attract some very good players regardless

If we can get 2 or 3 more players on the level of Torres and Diaby we'll be fine 

Kind of agree, I just think the lure of the champions league might attract more of that type of player. But you're right, we already seem to be attracting quality at the moment 

If we had made the champions league in 2008-2009 we would have been able to keep Barry, Young and Milner. Our trajectory would have been very different. 

Players want to play in the CL. And it is easy to say you trust the club to replace players who leave but it isn't that simple. As we saw in 2011 once you start to lose good players to supposed bigger clubs it can really deflate a club and send it into a fast spiral of decline. 

So CL for me, still.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If we had made the champions league in 2008-2009 we would have been able to keep Barry, Young and Milner. Our trajectory would have been very different. 

Players want to play in the CL. And it is easy to say you trust the club to replace players who leave but it isn't that simple. As we saw in 2011 once you start to lose good players to supposed bigger clubs it can really deflate a club and send it into a fast spiral of decline. 

So CL for me, still.

Would we though? 

Man city still happily took the likes of sagna, clichy and adebayor from Arsenal 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

How many of them are there and how many of them would be willing to come to a club with CL football? Not many. 

Champions League is just worth a fortune financially and in our ability to progress as a club, keep our top players and bring better players in. Martinez, Luiz etc won't decide to stay because we won a cup, they will stay if we are playing at the top level next season.

Winning the FA Cup will do nothing and most clubs play the reserve players for the first few rounds even if the fixture is difficult, the clubs don't really care if they get knocked out now it seems. I think some of the older folk have a higher respect for the FA Cup than I do and want to see us win it, I'd prefer to hear the CL music at Villa Park though.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Reality is qualifying for the champions league means we didn't win anything.

Reality is also, (in the world of this poll), if we win the FA Cup, we've won something. An actual trophy. I've never seen us do that and it means so much more than coming fourth in the league. 

I have seen us win a cup. It's all in the past. I want to see us become a team like the Man U under fergie. I want us to create a new legacy!