Violence outside Villa Park

Demitri_C

"They advised the meeting that they would meet with their supporters at 2.30pm and communicate the decision at 3pm but advised there was a possibility that they would not accept the tickets. Despite repeated requests before and after the 3pm deadline for a decision, there was no communication until 4pm when Legia informed Aston Villa that they wished to receive their ticket allocation."

It's this bit I find so odd. Legia hav to ask their fans if they want tickets? Do Legia fans think that they can just rock up to a game and be let in without them?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Based on what I've seen and read afterwards, the police did a good job of preventing something much much worse. 

A lot of them wouldn't have seen anything like that before, no training exercise could prepare them for that..

I know we live in different times, but I couldn’t believe how many female officers were on or around the front line last night. Seriously, in that kind of a situation your gonna need some serious muscle. Or am I just getting old.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Each to their own 

There were quite a few kids there last night, so that’s a no from me. Back in the Seventies I was a bit of a naughty lad, so I hear what your saying, but times change, the games more family orientated now, those days are over.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's this bit I find so odd. Legia hav to ask their fans if they want tickets? Do Legia fans think that they can just rock up to a game and be let in without them?

They’ve got away with it before on the continent. They found out the hard way last night that England is not so easily intimidated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meregreen said:

There were quite a few kids there last night, so that’s a no from me. Back in the Seventies I was a bit of a naughty lad, so I hear what your saying, but times change, the games more family orientated now, those days are over.

I know the game has changed and for the better the most part although I do feel the atmosphere has suffered for it . The police are there to prevent trouble which I’m totally for but they are never there to protect me on a personal note . I’m not saying I’d have done this or that like some people are taking the piss about but if some of our like minded fans would have reacted I’d say fair play . I take my lad most games so I’m not one of these hooligan wannabes. I’m all for our fans knocking the shit out of opposition fans if they are the same kind of minded individuals if you know what I mean.  You have doormen on the doors to prevent trouble but I’ve never considered that they are there to protect me that’s what I’m getting at.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know the game has changed and for the better the most part although I do feel the atmosphere has suffered for it . The police are there to prevent trouble which I’m totally for but they are never there to protect me on a personal note . I’m not saying I’d have done this or that like some people are taking the piss about but if some of our like minded fans would have reacted I’d say fair play . I take my lad most games so I’m not one of these hooligan wannabes. I’m all for our fans knocking the shit out of opposition fans if they are the same kind of minded individuals if you know what I mean.  You have doormen on the doors to prevent trouble but I’ve never considered that they are there to protect me that’s what I’m getting at.

I think we would have got on quite well in the seventies 😉

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I know we live in different times, but I couldn’t believe how many female officers were on or around the front line last night. Seriously, in that kind of a situation your gonna need some serious muscle. Or am I just getting old.

Dunno. were any of them in see through tops? In which case they should definitely be sacked.

28 minutes ago, meregreen said:

women are just as capable and physically strong as men, there is literally no difference at all.

• Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

6 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I think we would have got on quite well in the seventies 😉

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

The presence of police on the junction of Trinity Road & Witton Lane was frankly ridiculous. Had to walk through a mass of out of town riot police who were screaming directions/asking where fans were going as if they'd never been to Villa Park before. I've never seen that before any game before. Was clear where the trouble would be, and it certainly wasn't at that end of the ground.

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Fancied a pie?

When my Dad used to do the Villa games as a young PC back in the 70's, he tells the story of standing at the front of the Holte, when during a quiet spell, he hears someone shout "hey officer", so he looks up, just as a hot pie hits him the face :D 

Anyway, well done the Police last night. 

Edited by Xela

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not promoting trouble here but there’s been a couple of comments I’ve noticed where some have praised the police for protecting Villa fans. Ffs we are at home with best part of 40k fans there surely we can look after ourselves at home . **** this police protection off. 

I'm not a violent person and in no way condone violence of any kind but if I had witnessed any Villa fan getting attacked, then I'd have waded in. 

Luckily, we avoided the worst of it. 

We walked through a load of them on the roundabout near Tesco before the game, then after the game there were about 8-10 stood near the hairdressers on the same island and 4 in a group as we walked down past Tesco (one clearly had a red scarf on that you could see Legia written on). 

It was that sort of night, that if we had come out the ground and all hell had broke loose, then normal supporters would have had no choice but to end up involved. 

Thankfully, the police had got shot of them all by the time the ground emptied. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Do Legia fans think that they can just rock up to a game and be let in without them?

per the legia fan that called in to talksport last night, that's exactly what they thought would happen. "we didn't have tickets, but thought they'd just let us in"

• Like 1

Â