ender4

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The high line has us in our highest league position in a decade and back in Europe. Why on earth would you want to 

High line has nothing to do.with it....its unai's work going forward.

The high line is more risk.than reward.

Playing it on the half way line gives the oppo a starting position of being onside...we go one way...they go the other.

There's the risk...both are going opposite directions...and has proven many times..we then have to back track and Emi makes the save.

Cant keep giving oppo a whole half to play with.

Drop 10.yards mid blockish narrow.the space between back line and GK...they can't go over the top then...theres no space...like what teams do to us.

Dropping it 10 means oppo is our half already starting from a potential offside position rather than an onside when it's on the half way line.

Why cure the problem....when.we could prevent it a lot more...just a thought 

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And then the flag goes up.

That bit is really important and it's one they constantly fail to consider on the TV - you get pundits claiming that Alkmaar and Forest constantly breached our high line, when in actuality, I'm not even sure that Alkmaar actually did it once (their goal was offside), and Forest maybe once or twice, down the sides, in the whole game - and then they talk about the five or six chances that were offside as if it were heavy pressure, referring back to saves Emi had to make that were completely void once the flag had gone up.

It works really well, and we're really good at it. Like any system it's not flawless and the ridiculous offside rule at the moment that gives a wait-and-see advantage to the team committing the offence makes it a little bit riskier and a whole lot more nervy to watch - but it is one of the keys to our success.

Letting the opposition hold possession in our half and allowing pressure by dropping deeper won't suit us and we'll lose something in having our centre backs ten yards further away from our forwards when we have the ball.

The high line is brilliant - and it's the system being used by the two team who most pundits would consider as over performing this year - it's Unai's way, were used to it and it works.

I would very much expect to see it today. 

Exactly this! Sometimes feels like we're really under the cosh when actually the flag comes up after the attack anyway. What I like about it is it keeps Martinez sharp! It's like he gets there or four chances to make a save each game that wouldn't count anyway. Stops him getting bored!

On 11/11/2023 at 07:43, omariqy said:

What time do the players usually arrive? Sons bday and want him to see Emi Martinez, his favourite player!

They also pull up right at the door and near  impossible to see them.  Not sure why they do that.  Wouldn’t be hard to park 30yards away and kids can see.  Had a disappointed son a few times 

47 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

If the high line was more risk than reward, we wouldn't be winning as often as we do.  We wouldn't be 5th in the league and wouldn't be on the cusp of qualifying for the next round of the conference league. 

Emery has the same set of players performing at this level that were relegation candidates under previous managers, and you think you can do even better?

Sure, we could cut out a few more errors, but they're only human. And completely changing our structure is more likely to hinder us going forward than help us defensively.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Drop the high line 10 yards

Up.the tempo in attack

This team.will.go.places 

No. Don't drop the high line.

It's what has taken us where we are

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

You have to be prepared and be brave and take risk to get to the next level.

Sure let's play like Moyes and put men behind the ball and purely rely on counter attacks and set pieces. But ultimately that style will only get you so far.

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

You have to be prepared and be brave and take risk to get to the next level.

Sure let's play like Moyes and put men behind the ball and purely rely on counter attacks and set pieces. But ultimately that style will only get you so far.

I also think playing such a high line helps control the tempo of the game.  Something i think Emery values over everything else.

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I also think playing such a high line helps control the tempo of the game.  Something i think Emery values over everything else.

Forces the opposition teams to play long balls which means we get the initiative of games.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Hhmmmm should I stay up for this (00:30 ko)one and go to work on stuff all sleep. I dont like missing matches at Villa Park!

Of course you should 🤔 Villa are far more important than work! 

Re highline: I know it’s a forum, but honestly, leave the footballing decisions to Emery, remind yourselves he’s doing alright so far. 

Need to win today, would great to smash them to get things back on track. Would love to see Moreno able to have game time today too. Gutted to drop points last match, would be sitting pretty today if we hadn’t, don’t think Emery will let that happen today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

i don't think it's a problem. i definitely don't think it needs to be cured.

The high line is what gives us Unai's work going forward - when we have the ball our centrebacks are close enough to our forwards to play balls into their feet - it's like having an extra couple of midfielders and it means we always have options with the ball.

And then the flag goes up.

That bit is really important and it's one they constantly fail to consider on the TV - you get pundits claiming that Alkmaar and Forest constantly breached our high line, when in actuality, I'm not even sure that Alkmaar actually did it once (their goal was offside), and Forest maybe once or twice, down the sides, in the whole game - and then they talk about the five or six chances that were offside as if it were heavy pressure, referring back to saves Emi had to make that were completely void once the flag had gone up.

It works really well, and we're really good at it. Like any system it's not flawless and the ridiculous offside rule at the moment that gives a wait-and-see advantage to the team committing the offence makes it a little bit riskier and a whole lot more nervy to watch - but it is one of the keys to our success.

Letting the opposition hold possession in our half and allowing pressure by dropping deeper won't suit us and we'll lose something in having our centre backs ten yards further away from our forwards when we have the ball.

The high line is brilliant - and it's the system being used by the two team who most pundits would consider as over performing this year - it's Unai's way, were used to it and it works.

I would very much expect to see it today. 

It usually works and sometimes doesn’t work. There is no perfect system to play or everone would play it! Meanwhile here in the real world Unai will continue with the basic formula and continue to try his best to improve the way the players carry out the plan. Some will manage it and some may be replaced if they can’t, either from the existing squad and youngsters or in the market if possible. The world, including football isn’t perfect, if this comes as a shock to anyone then i appologise for the distress this revelation may have caused you. Hopefully the game today will lighten your mood. UTV!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

We need Watkins to be pressuring Bassey all day long today, he’s looked awful when they’ve try to play it out from the back

We need to vary our attacks from crosses and through balls into the box. Dougs ball into Watkins for his headed goal is a good example of the type of balls we should throw in. Would also like to see a few at head height for Watkins to win with his back to goal and tap down to a player who's closer to him than we have been of late. 

Nice to score early in this and drag Fulham out, if we don't then just vary our balls into the box, if we keep using the full backs to cross the ball then we will struggle to break teams down who sit deep. 

Think we will win this one,  hopefully Moreno gets a start, help us vary our play. Reckon 3-1, we score first and early. UTV