Weekends Football 27/29 October

andykeenan

My question (if they're not going to introduce semi automated VAR) is why are people manually drawing lines? A football pitch is just a rectangle in perspective - it's trivially easy to project a grid onto the playing surface and then let a computer plot the lines. All the officials should be doing is selecting the furthest part of the attacker and defender's body. As it stands (as far as I understand it) you're trusting that a VAR official is able to draw the correct line in perspective. Or am I incorrect and the perspective is ready-drawn?

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

My question (if they're not going to introduce semi automated VAR) is why are people manually drawing lines? A football pitch is just a rectangle in perspective - it's trivially easy to project a grid onto the playing surface and then let a computer plot the lines. All the officials should be doing is selecting the furthest part of the attacker and defender's body. As it stands (as far as I understand it) you're trusting that a VAR official is able to draw the correct line in perspective. Or am I incorrect and the perspective is ready-drawn?

The tech does this and the var via the camera tech basically just picks the best angle, frame, and the tech drags the line into position

1 minute ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Ah, ok. Then why do they still get it wrong so often? Shouldn't it be foolproof?

I don't think there are too many (any?) examples of them getting a physical onside/offside wrong, in fairness. Where decisions have been wrong/controversial has been the infamous comms breakdown in the spurs/liverpool game, and then more subjective decisions like interfering with play, etc.

That Liverpool/Spurs decision and the footage released is how I know about the lines, you can see their process here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/3718057?sf269410963=1, you see them drawing the lines about 50 seconds in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think there are too many (any?) examples of them getting a physical onside/offside wrong, in fairness. Where decisions have been wrong/controversial has been the infamous comms breakdown in the spurs/liverpool game, and then more subjective decisions like interfering with play, etc.

That Liverpool/Spurs decision and the footage released is how I know about the lines, you can see their process here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/3718057?sf269410963=1, you see them drawing the lines about 50 seconds in

Ok cheers. They drew the lines wrong at Bournemouth initially though. I still don't get how it's possible if the perspective is being handled automatically.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Bellingham is some footballer, just destroyed Barca after they led with a brace and the first one was an absolute worldie...

He may well be the best English player of all time by the time he retires. Safe to say if he puts in a couple of seasons like he's started this one for Real he'll be a legend there for a long time.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Bloody wolves 

They've played o.k in fairness, Neto as ever a huge danger in final third.

They'll score at some point tonight, thought they might have been starting the big CF now and having Cunha and Neto running on to his flick ons.

Â