Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

I don't get how it can be a ship. Probably something stupid like it's pillars are floating or something... but it's a permanent structure, concreted in... how can it be a ship? And it's hardly a captain... it's someone who lifts and lowers the bridge for REAL ships.. just because they call him a captain doesn't mean it's a ship... it's a stupid title to make someone with a shit boring job seem important.

didnt know charlie sheen and sean penn used to skip school and going surfing together or that alec guiness was a real introvert who had problems playing obi wan because he was a devout catholic until today though!

He was a devout Catholic until today? What made him stop believing?

My useless trivia:

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.... don't say I didn't warn you.

Tower Bridge in London is not a bridge and is in fact a ship it even has a captain

Im not having that.

london_tower_bridge.jpg

Its clearly a Bridge. Yes, its a Drawbridge, but its still a Bridge!

it's to do with the way it's insured if i recall correctly .... it's insured by Lloyd's of London on the shipping register as a ship

whats that story about the american that bought london bridge thinking that he'd purchased the one above only to find out after that that is actually tower bridge?

London Bridge was knackered and needed repairing, and someone who was on the council of the City of London decided that they should try to sell the bridge instead of knocking it down. This was in the late 1960's.

Some American guy bought London Bridge thinking that he was buying Tower Bridge. He has since denied this of course.

london_bridge_lake_havasu.jpg

The old Bridge is now in a place called Lake Havasu City in Arizona, almost on the Arizona/California border. If you draw a line directly south from Las Vegas and directly east from Los Angeles, the point where the two meet pretty much where it is.

They havent done too badly out of it though, apparently it is the second most popular tourist attraction in Arizona after The Grand Canyon. Dunno how much of a tourist destination Lake Havasu was before they bought the bridge, but they certainly seem to have set themselves up as a tourist destination these days, selling the great weather they have to compliment it as a first class place to take a boating holiday.

I wonder how many people turn up to the place expecting to see Tower Bridge though. :lol:

8505.jpg

Not far from where the letter 's' in 'Palm Springs' is on this map.

it's to do with the way it's insured if i recall correctly .... it's insured by Lloyd's of London on the shipping register as a ship

Let's hope they never crash it and Lloyds send someone out to do an assessment :P

IIRC the buzzing noise made by most flying insects (including bees) isn't made by their wings, but them breathing.

Why does that noise stop when they aren't flying then?

:clap:

Is it cuz they hold their breath so they can sneak up on you like 007. Can you imagine that? A bee sitting on your shoulder and starts to hum the bond theme???!!!

There's only 1 natural body of water in Scotland called a lake, the Lake of Menteith. Or so a friends dad told whilst driving past it last week. All the others are called lochs, or are artificial.

There is only one lake in the lake district too.

Same reason as the Scottish fact. Most of the bodies of water there arent called "lake xxx"

my contribution - the olympic marathon is actually 26 miles 385 yards long

And the reason those 385 yards were added to the distance was so that the race would finish outside of the Royal Box in the 1908 London Olympics.

Dunno why they didnt just move the start line, but there we go..

Â