Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

English is only the third most popular language in the world

Really?..

I'm assuming you're grouping all the types of chinese together and having Chinese as one of the 2 then?.. what's the other?

In terms of native language I'd imagine that was correct. But out any language spoken (as in counting people who speak english as well as their native language) surely English must be number one?

Even as native language I find it hard to believe English isn't number 1. You have the United Kingdom, USA, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, all with English as native language... unless you're breaking English down into English, American English, South Africa, Australian...

George Foreman has 4 sons...All of which are named George

doesn't he also have a daughter called Georgia ?

Edit :

just wiki'd it

he has 10 Children .. 5 called George , 1 called Georgetta , 1 called Freeda George ..the others are called Natalie, Leola & Michi

English is only the third most popular language in the world

I'd be interested to see a source on this.

By total speakers (which you'd have to use if judging "popular") English is by far number 1 with 1.8bn speakers, Chinese being second with 1.3bn, but that includes all dialects of Chinese.

If you're going native speakers only, it's still 2nd behind Chinese. Many people try quoting Spanish as having more native speakers, but use old data (wikipedia for one shows Spanish as second, using the figures for native Spanish speakers in 1995, and native English speakers in 1984, I think anyone can see the huge problem with that).

I'd always heard the answer was Mandarin and that whilst English doesn’t have the most speakers, it is the official language of more countries than any other language

Well, English would win on 'most countries' by a long way.

Chinese/Mandarin is even a debatable one for most speakers as it has many many varieties... and before anyone says anything, it is NOT like comparing it to geordie and scouser... they are totally different languages... but they all descend from one language..

If we're counting all types of Chinese as one language, then you'd have to make a point for Latin, which gave birth to pretty much every European language, including English and Spanish.

The language rankings are subject to a lot of variation, depending on how one defines fluency, how dialects get broken down (for instance, American English nearly has more native speakers than all other dialects of English combined (about 275 million vs. 600 million)), etc.

So if you go by the highest credibly published number of speakers, the table is:

1. English (1800 million)

2. Chinese [all dialects] (1300 million)

3. Hindustani [Hindi and Urdu being essentially the same language] (829 million)

4. French (600 million)

5. Arabic (480 million)

6. Spanish (450 million)

7. Russian (285 million)

8. Portuguese (235 million)

9. Bengali (230 million)

10. Indonesian/Malay (200 million)

German (200 million)

12. Japanese (132 million)

By taking a median of academically credible studies

1. Chinese [all dialects] (1036 million)

2. English (618 million)

3. Hindustani (487 million)

4. Spanish (376 million)

5. Arabic (285 million)

6. Russian (278 million)

7. Indonesian/Malay (234 million)

8. French (213 million)

9. Bengali (207 million)

10. Portuguese (203 million)

11. Japanese (127 million)

12. German (91 million)

By native speakers, it goes as follows:

Mandarin Chinese: 873 million

English: 508 million

Hindi: 497 million

Spanish: 438 million

Portuguese: 236 million

Arabic: 206 million

Bengali: 171 million

Russian: 145 million

Japanese: 122 million

French: 113 million

German: 95 million

Telugu: 94 million

Punjabi: 88 million

Korean: 78 million

Tamil: 78 million

Wu: 77 million

Javanese: 76 million

Marathi: 68 million

Vietnamese: 67 million

Italian: 62 million

And of course, if you go the furthest and look at language families by native speakers, you get:

1. Indo-European

2. Sino-Tibetan

3. Niger-Congo

4. Afro-Asiatic

5. Austronesian

6. Dravidian

7. Altaic

8. Austro-Asiatic

9. Tai-Kadai

10. Japonic (though Japanese is considered by some linguists to be Altaic)

The current targetted ad at the bottom of the screen. Bizarre

hebrew-full;init:.jpg

Presumably in the interests of balance, I now have one for an Arab dating site. WTF?

The current targetted ad at the bottom of the screen. Bizarre

hebrew-full;init:.jpg

This is a crappy ad. As far as I know (and I am a native Hebrew speaker...) there is not much difference between modern-day Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew...

And beside, who speaks Biblical Hebrew?!

Â