Ratings & Reactions: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 22:59

Emery is man enough to live and die by his decisions. This man has coached midweek for 16 years in a row. He knows the effect playing your strongest team all the time has on a season. 

Its a balance he is trying to find. Thats on him as the coach and he is showing his balls by trying to do so. We won. His calculated risk came off and we are now still level with the other teams in the group with 4 to play  . 

Diaby Kamara Moreno and Ramsey are out still. When they come back in things will get far better in terms of team strength 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were way too slow and ponderous in the first half too often taking 4 or 5 touches before releasing the ball which meant we too often found ourselves going sideways and backwards. Second half we played the ball much quicker and therefore pulled them out of shape more which enabled us to make runs in behind them especially down our right side. On another day that second half could have seen us score 3 or 4. No better feeling than a late winner though. 

• Like 1

Credit to the opposition, they were a tough nut to crack like some of these unknown foreign teams are. They up their game for obvious reasons and sometimes we don’t take them serious enough. They have a fair chance of qualifying so good luck to them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Diaby Kamara Moreno and Ramsey are out still. When they come back in things will get far better in terms of team strength 

And longer term Mings and Buendia.

Even when we brought on the "first team" for the second half, we were still down six first team players.

1 hour ago, mole86 said:

Tielemans was still awful second half, weird that you’re trying to take a negative slant against Emery. We were always going to rotate

Not really, Emery even said he tried something different tactically and it didn’t work in his post match interview.

Edited by jim

How about Villa's character today? You gotta give them that. Lots of digs at Tielemans, but he and the rest of the lads kept trying. The whole squad never gave up even when it looked like a certain draw, and in fact, one of the Tieleman's passes -- for all his clumsy moves and almosts -- started the cycle of actions that led to McGinn's goal. That's how champions play. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Youri wasn't bad, infact his passing was very sharp. The problem was a lack of urgency on the ball, we needed to move it quicker all over the pitch, especially in the final 3rd. Cash made a huge difference, Zaniolo started sharp but faded. Martinez save was great bit the player that shot was a yard offside in the build-up. 

I agree with most of what you say, but maybe not this if I understand you correctly. Simple confusion about the set up and lack of experience with that set up can sometimes looks an awful lot like lack of effort. Tielemans is a professional. He wants to do well, but he's more of thinker and clinical pivot-man passer than a sprinter, and you could see a big gap in front of him continually that looked .. strange. Something wasn't quite making sense about today's set-up. I have no doubt Emery will work out what happened.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I’ll admit… I didn’t see it… but John has really grown into his role as captain since Unai arrived and is embodying pretty much everything that should entail…

So fitting for that role now 👏 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’ll admit… I didn’t see it… but John has really grown into his role as captain since Unai arrived and is embodying pretty much everything that should entail…

So fitting for that role now 👏 

Same I'm amazed how good he's been. 

We win the conference league and John McGinn goes down as a villa legend. More so than Jack Grealish

• Like 1