Ratings & Reactions: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 22:59

14 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

The funniest thing for me was the booing at half time when the announcer was advertising Terrace View and Lower Grounds

Couldn’t hear it in the north upper that much unfortunately, good on the holte for doing that!

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yep… Tielemans is sadly nowhere near him and I’m struggling to envisage him improving as drastically as he needs to (hope he does and I’m proven wrong)…

Quite disappointing, even surprising, to see how weak our midfield depth and quality (beyond our first picks of Luiz & Kamara who are absolute class) is really…

Yeah we’ve had injuries and tough luck but… I think we’ll have to and will do more business in January… I think Dendoncker and possibly Chambers will be moved on with much better players brought in, hopefully… we could really do with a quality defensive alternative to Kamara. We need players that can win the ball and protect the defence, not just pass or shoot…

Some of the past links to midfielders maybe make a little more sense now…

I agree, totally.

just as an example.....Newcastle and West Ham, who are both durable teams...they both have players who regularly feature for them, who we would baulk at.

I am not suggesting we ignore, good passers of the ball....But I do think we need some proper back up for Luiz and Kamara.

Another effective central midfielder is needed for the squad.

I also think, we need a more direct replacement for Bailey....his self indulgent MO, and hesitant approach play, slows down the progressive work of the team. His tentative style lacks conviction, and it holds us back from showing more urgency and intensity imo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

How is Emery so astute & wise, whereas no Villa manager ever has been, except to some extent Saunders & Taylor?

shows the different Levels.

I think Atkinson, Little and Gregory deserve mentions, but I don't think they was this level.

UE could possibly turn out to be the best we ever....hIs win ratio to date surely is.

However, Saunders and Taylor were more like Eddie Howe in the way they built their teams, in my opinion.

I think Unai is like Arsene, very technical.....but I would like to see him add a bit of pragmatism to defending as a team.....I think he will.

Mings is a huge miss in that respect.

I think we do have games like Brighton and Newcastle at Home....where the durability and pragmatism, in our play,  shows.....we just have to find more consistency, in that respect......Sunday would be a good day for a repeat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Squad depth we just haven’t got, the players that come in should be doing so much better but dendoncker and tielemans when they play are bloody awful, made hard work of tonight 

I wouldn't say Tielemans is blood awful.....but he does need to stop giving the ball away, and getting caught on it.

As a free signing, so to speak, there is not much risk, just wages.......So we just have to see whether, he can improve....but to date, he is not in Dougies class.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I stand corrected, apologies.

when is a clear shirt pull, not a foul?

I was puzzled how it wasn't even discussed on TNT TV

There does seems to be regular dismissal of controversial incidents in our games....where with other teams, the media seem to create a monologue on them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

Well last night proved their will be no easy games in this competition and that's doubly so, when we start with a team that is way below full strength. We need to go strong from the start in future games, because leaving changes until half time only gives us the second half to turn things around and we have now shown twice that might not always be enough time. Better to bring players off, when we are already say 2-0 up, in my opinion. 

Without Emi we would have been 2-0 down before our captain's late winner. We were a different team in the second half, but didn't they defend well? Their supporters will rightly feel proud of their team's performance  last night, they defended like their lives depended on it and there were shades of England v Poland in 1973 about the second half. We bombarded their goal, but couldn't find a way through more than once and Mostar also had a keeper, who we had been told was a clown, but who performed like Lev Yashin on the night.  

To be fair, I think we have only shown once that a stronger XI in the second half might not be entough to turn games around. Last night. I think we did turn things round!

Unai keeps saying he has to be able to rely on the entire squad to cope with the number of games we may have this season. I think we need to bear with him while he works at that. Last night seemed like a step forward to me.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Just noticed that for prize money from the Conference League that you get €500k for every victory in the group stage and €166k for every draw. So far including having qualified for the group stage, Villa have earned €4.45 million (£3.85m).

Miles off Champions League money obviously where every victory in the group stage nets around €2.8m (£2.42m) alone. Qualifying for the Champions League group stage gets you around €15m (£13m) and the TV rights for that earns you a lot more.

Still, no harm in earning a little bit extra here and there.

12 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Just noticed that for prize money from the Conference League that you get €500k for every victory in the group stage and €166k for every draw. So far including having qualified for the group stage, Villa have earned €4.45 million (£3.85m).

Miles off Champions League money obviously where every victory in the group stage nets around €2.8m (£2.42m) alone. Qualifying for the Champions League group stage gets you around €15m (£13m) and the TV rights for that earns you a lot more.

Still, no harm in earning a little bit extra here and there.

Yeah its not bad- far more money than the league cup and probably the FA Cup unless you get to the final.

14 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Just about covers Digne's wages 

Right guys?! 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, neilski said:

Anyone else still fantasizing about the scenes if that zaniolo overhead kick had gone in!!??😱 I nearly had an accident as it was 😬 

It was virtually straight at the keeper , so only 5/10 for me. 😏

Thought we were OK, doing everything more or less right but struggled past their parked bus. In fairness the stats backed up our utter dominance. Dont let the anxiety of the occasion leave you with a false memory of a poor performance. A telling stat is offsides - shows they didnt try and attack us, nor was there any space behind them at any point. Their keeper had a great game too. If half our chances went in we could have finished 4 or 5 ahead and I reckon we wouldn't have questioned the performance.

image.png.cc83296a62b1568adea474a9b70532cb.png

Konsa is a great recovery defender, was quick and alert, however his distribution is ponderous, he seemed to stand with the ball for 5-10 seconds considering his options. Once Luiz cam on that midfield urgency that we have become accustomed to, returned. There is no doubt, our bite centres around the smart interplay of Kamara/Luiz and the energy of Diaby and Watkins. Without them (probably £300m worth of players) we are a little more blunt and laboured.

FWIW, there is an unfair weight of expectation in this B side on Duran, he is only 19 and its totally different slotting into our A team than carrying the responsibility while those around him are making heavy work of things.

Zaniolo is still bedding in and finding his place in this team, but I am more concerned at Tielemans and Bailey who look very average and a shadow what they are capable of.

There is a rumour that we are going to try for Dani Cabellos again in Jan which you have to assume is because Tielemans hasnt met expectations.

With Ramsey and Buendia to come back, I would not be upset if Dendonker left in January. I hope we buy Zaniolo.

Edited by thunderball

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree, totally.

just as an example.....Newcastle and West Ham, who are both durable teams...they both have players who regularly feature for them, who we would baulk at.

I am not suggesting we ignore, good passers of the ball....But I do think we need some proper back up for Luiz and Kamara.

Another effective central midfielder is needed for the squad.

I also think, we need a more direct replacement for Bailey....his self indulgent MO, and hesitant approach play, slows down the progressive work of the team. His tentative style lacks conviction, and it holds us back from showing more urgency and intensity imo.

In theory Dendoncker should be a capable ball winner but one of the problems with him and Tielemans on the pitch seems to be the lack of athleticism. So I'd say it's vital the next DM/CM addition is a good athlete first and foremost.

I haven't given up on Tielemans yet because he has pedigree and is undoubtedly a good footballer. I'm just not sure he suits being in a midfield 2 for us.

• Like 1

Â