2030 World Cup

Villaphan04

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Would this be the only time ever that the world cup has returned to the same confederation 12 years after its last trip?

No. Every 2nd tournament used to be in Europe:

2006-Germany

1998-France

1990-Italy

1982-Spain

1974-West Germany

1966-England

and so on

CONMEBOL went 36 years between tournaments (1978-Argentina and 2014-Brazil)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, a-k said:

No. Every 2nd tournament used to be in Europe:

2006-Germany

1998-France

1990-Italy

1982-Spain

1974-West Germany

1966-England

and so on

CONMEBOL went 36 years between tournaments (1978-Argentina and 2014-Brazil)

Ahhh, fair enough. Comparing the number of hosts in each area though, make it pretty clear what's going on here. 💰  💰 

On 05/10/2023 at 13:56, John said:

"Fifa says only bids from the Asia and Oceania regions will be accepted for the 2034 tournament". Another winter world cup then, in Saudi this time. :rolleyes: Looking forward to hosting World Cup 2166 in England ....

I actually think having it in winter made the tournament a lot better.  At least Saudi Arabia has people and cities in it, so ticks more boxes than Qatar.  I wonder if the Aussies will even bother putting a bid in to compete with the Saudis, though I suppose they’ve already got the Olympics on the horizon.

Edited by sharkyvilla

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I actually think having it in winter made the tournament a lot better.  At least Saudi Arabia has people and cities in it, so ticks more boxes than Qatar.  I wonder if the Aussies will even bother putting a bid in to compete with the Saudis, though I suppose they’ve already got the Olympics on the horizon.

I think Australia were going to, but it seems like a done deal now with most of the African and Asian delegates expected to back Saudi. :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, John said:

I think Australia were going to, but it seems like a done deal now with most of the African and Asian delegates expected to back Saudi. :rolleyes:

After Qatar I wonder the aussies can even be bothered to spend the £20m odd the bid is rumoured to cost

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only good thing about saudi arabia hosting is watching their team get humiliated and fail to get past the group stage

FIFA will probably agree to them using a few of the Citeh and Newcastle players, to make it a fairer contest. :D

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What a pile of shit who thought that be a good idea 🤦‍♂️

Fifa doing their best to kill the game

Its what the next World Cup was originally supposed to be but they are trying to change back to 4 team groups now

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

After Qatar I wonder the aussies can even be bothered to spend the £20m odd the bid is rumoured to cost

I'd like to think we'd save our money.

• Like 1

Putting the hosts aside, I don't mind a winter world cup IF it's bid for that way.

The reason Qatar was such a farce was because the original bid had no mention or intention of moving it to the winter. The bid was made for a country where it was physically impossible to play football in the summer. It shoudl have been laughed off the table on that basis alone

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont want a world cup at Christmas again.

Its for the summer not the **** winter when its dark and cold.

World cup you watch in summer evenings with your pals at pubs.

I have no friends and I don't drink but I fully agree.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont want a world cup at Christmas again.

Its for the summer not the **** winter when its dark and cold.

World cup you watch in summer evenings with your pals at pubs.

I'll be 55 for the Saudi World Cup in '34, i'll be happy with a Horlicks and a bed bath from my personal nurse! 

• Haha 2

Â