Sheffield Wednesday

tomav84

no sheff wed thread...surprising. anyway, saw the photo of this incident doing the rounds on social media over the weekend. there's banter, but this was a proper scumbag thing to do. glad they caught him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-66979372

A man has been charged after reports an image of Bradley Lowery was used to taunt opposition football fans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

no sheff wed thread...surprising. anyway, saw the photo of this incident doing the rounds on social media over the weekend. there's banter, but this was a proper scumbag thing to do. glad they caught him.

From what I can gather he held up a newspaper photo of the kid on his phone?

Using the photo as an attempt at ‘banter’ very moronic thing to do but I’m a bit shocked it’s an arrestable offence, potentially even with a prison sentence? I understood he’s been sacked from his job and that’s a decision for his employer but is it a criminal matter as well?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Using the photo as an attempt at ‘banter’ very moronic thing to do but I’m a bit shocked it’s an arrestable offence, potentially even with a prison sentence? I understood he’s been sacked from his job and that’s a decision for his employer but is it a criminal matter as well?

The Public Order Act has been around for several decades now (1986). The relevant sections concern 

A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/4A

The test here is abusive and insulting, especially when done in such an intentional public arena where multiple people are targeted for point B. I should add that a section 4A offence is considered a lesser of the public order offences. Max sentence usually for a lesser offence is around 6 months so if they are convicted or could be a non custodial sentence. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Its a heinous crime in my opinion and i support a big punishment for him hopefullya prison sentence.

My heart goes out to the young childa family

It will be a fine and a banning order.

Reasoning being that’s what was decided for the handful of Southampton supporters who did the arms out, aeroplane gestures to Cardiff supporters following the Salah crash. 

8 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'm still trying to fathom why anyone would do this, never mind a 31 year old. And I wish they'd stop blaming alcohol.

He deserves whatever the maximum penalty is and I doubt he'll attend another football match for a long time

People are **** weird.

There's people on here who make up nicknames for players and teams they dislike, refer to Liverpool as Victim FC.  If you just step a tiny bit away from that and, sadly, fuel with drugs, it's easy to see how "banter" becomes shit.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The Public Order Act has been around for several decades now (1986). The relevant sections concern 

A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/4A

The test here is abusive and insulting, especially when done in such an intentional public arena where multiple people are targeted for point B. I should add that a section 4A offence is considered a lesser of the public order offences. Max sentence usually for a lesser offence is around 6 months so if they are convicted or could be a non custodial sentence. 

Not defending the guy as what he did was messed up.

But referencing this statute is worrying for me as it's very loosely worded and you could arguably arrest a very large number of fans at any game in the country.

27 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

But referencing this statute is worrying for me as it's very loosely worded and you could arguably arrest a very large number of fans at any game in the country.

I've personally sat in a Villa away end in small heath where at least 1,000 people were singing the Tracey Andrews song (serial killer) + something awful about CIsse's family (drowned in a boat accident).

The guys deserve to lose their jobs and the "social justice" that's come to them. However i'm a little uneasy about criminal convictions and feel it's a slightly worrying path. If this is deemed criminal then where does the line draw? Criticising the government? Anti vaccine? Anti war? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Both because our political discourse is very influenced by American political discourse, where they really do have strong free speech protections, and also because the right in this country have started talking a lot about 'free speech' in recent years (I leave it up to individuals to decide how sincerely, I know this isn't the thread) a lot of British people sometimes labour under the misapprehension that we have much in the way of free speech protection in this country, and we absolutely do not. You're right that this law can be applied very broadly, and that's exactly what was intended when it was brought in. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Both because our political discourse is very influenced by American political discourse, where they really do have strong free speech protections, and also because the right in this country have started talking a lot about 'free speech' in recent years (I leave it up to individuals to decide how sincerely, I know this isn't the thread) a lot of British people sometimes labour under the misapprehension that we have much in the way of free speech protection in this country, and we absolutely do not. You're right that this law can be applied very broadly, and that's exactly what was intended when it was brought in. 

This is why it worries me.

Who sets the bar on what is offensive or what causes alarm or distress?

Who defines what is insulting?

Is this the first step on a very slippery path?

It's actually the right wing in this country that worries me with this. Could people be given jail time for doing something they find insulting and offensive but that most other people would find perfectly natural?

You're right that this is probably not the right thread for it though.

Honestly can’t get my head around this, it’s just utter vile . There’s borderline banter then they’re wrong , then there’s this. As a club I like Wednesday one of my favourite clubs and I think their core fanbase are very loyal, great away support . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67268518

Sheffield Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri has asked fans to raise £2m in the coming days to help the club pay an outstanding debt to HM Revenue and Customs and cover wages.

The Championship club were placed under a registration embargo on Friday by the English Football League.

Chansiri told the Sheffield Star that he has a problem with "cashflow".

Gill Furniss, MP for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough, called the development "very concerning".

She said in a post on X, formerly Twitter: "It is the responsibility of the owners to fix this, not fans. I will be seeking an urgent meeting with the club to discuss this."

Chansiri, who has been in charge at Hillsborough since 2015, said cashflow is currently a problem "all over the world" and that he is also owed money as a result, adding that any funds given by supporters would be paid back "with interest".

He said last month that he would stop putting "additional funding" into the South Yorkshire club and said "some fans need to have more respect for owners of clubs" after some supporters had thrown tennis balls onto the pitch during a 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough to protest against his ownership.

In the interview with the Sheffield Star he said that Wednesday, who are bottom of the Championship after making their worst ever start to a season, could face a lengthy transfer ban if the monies owed are not paid by 10 November.

Under EFL regulations the Owls are now nine days into a "persistent default" for failing to pay their HMRC debt and should they also fail to pay players' wages, which are due on Tuesday, that will open up a second default.

Clubs who accrue 30 days worth of breaches in a year, from 1 July to 30 June, are liable to be banned from registering new players for three transfer windows.

The Thai businessman said: "If 20,000 people gave £100 then it's £2m, and it'd be clear - so we can finish it.

"That would cover everything, HMRC and the wages. That would need to be done before 10 November if they don't want to pass the 30 days, but that means that there can be no next time.

"It'd need to be before to make it safe - if it was on the fifth then there would be 10 days left… If we were to hit 30 days then we'll get a ban for three windows."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Chansiri,  proper joke! My first year at the university of Sheffield was in 2015 and they got to Wembley in summer 2016 nd messed up on the day. Ever since it’s been a downward spiral with him at the helm. Feel sorry for their fans 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Chansiri,  proper joke! My first year at the university of Sheffield was in 2015 and they got to Wembley in summer 2016 nd messed up on the day. Ever since it’s been a downward spiral with him at the helm. Feel sorry for their fans 

So many of these owners who gamble the club's future on promotion. Xia, Morris and Chansiri to name a few just off the top of my head in the last several years.

• Like 1

They have been an utter mess this entire century. Back in the 90s they used to be seen as quite a big club getting to cup finals etc. You would be brave or mad to take this club on. Hillsborough is an ancient relic of a stadium still largely associated with a terrible event that happened nearly 35 years ago. They would either have to move or spend hundreds of millions to get up to modern standards.

Â