Jareth

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Had a dream we came from behind to beat Liverpool 2-1 and keep the home record going.

giphy.gif

some blonde guy with the winner, looked like Birkir Bjarnasson from a distance but I guess it could be a January signing.

You mean Dougie had dyed his hair again!? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaAlex said:

Not saying it's at all likely as Sunday particularly will be tough but imagine by 10pm next Friday we could be top of the Premier League after 18 games. Absolutely insane.ย 

We can go top of the league this Sunday for a bit as long as we score against Brentford before Arsenal score against Brighton.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2023 at 09:03, VillaJ100 said:

Out of morbid curiosity I had a look at the 98-99 league to see what happened there. We were top at Christmas with 36 points after 18 games (so one more point than now having played two more). The second half of the season we only brought home 19 points in the last 20 games, collapsing to finish 6th by a point.

ย 

I'm a bit too young to remember any details but what happened? Injuries? A 1-D play style that got figured out? Too intense play style that led to fatigue similar to Newcastle? Or were we just playing out of our skin/lucky results and reverted to type?

It was mainly Injuries and Losing our best player ( Opinion)Dwight Yorke at the Start....However as you say we started well.

• Bosnich was a huge miss after 8 games, going on to miss 19 games
  • Ugo missed 12 games back end on the season
  • Gary Charles only played 10 games, missing most of the season
  • Stan Collymore was in and out of form and the team
  • Lee Hendrie missed 6 games, back end of the season
  • Paul Merson missed 12 and had 5 part games
  • Gareth Barryย  missed 6 after a 17 game start and consecutive run playing in 5 part games.

as a consequence we relied on too many second tier players....you can't win things doing that.

I think in conclusion...Injuries was the main culprit, and relying so much on a first 11.....We hadn't the money in those days, like we have now... we went 10 games without a win from match 22...That washed away the good start.

I also think your point about intense playing style is a valid one, it has come home to me,lately,ย  that this can be a significant factor, in overall seasonal positions.....maybe I should have understood that before now.

I am learning as a fan, that UE is well aware of it, and is cutting his cloth accordingly, hence some, what appear to be passive games....He seems to manage the energy and minutes with a slide rule.

He seems to be on top of everything.

PS I think when you deduce, that we won the league in 1980/81 with 14 players, it tells you everything....keeping your best 11 playing, is paramount to success....not so easy today.

ย 

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was mainly Injuries and Losing our best player ( Opinion)Dwight Yorke at the Start....However as you say we started well.

• Bosnich was a huge miss after 8 games, going on to miss 19 games
  • Ugo missed 12 games back end on the season
  • Gary Charles only played 10 games, missing most of the season
  • Stan Collymore was in and out of form and the team
  • Lee Hendrie missed 6 games, back end of the season
  • Paul Merson missed 12 and had 5 part games
  • Gareth Barryย  missed 6 after a 17 game start and consecutive run playing in 5 part games.

as a consequence we relied on too many second tier players....you can't win things doing that.

I think in conclusion...Injuries was the main culprit, and relying so much on a first 11.....We hadn't the money in those days, like we have now... we went 10 games without a win from match 22...That washed away the good start.

I also think your point about intense playing style is a valid one, it has come home to me,lately,ย  that this can be a significant factor, in overall seasonal positions.....maybe I should have understood that before now.

I am learning as a fan, that UE is well aware of it, and is cutting his cloth accordingly, hence some, what appear to be passive games....He seems to manage the energy and minutes with a slide rule.

He seems to be on top of everything.

PS I think when you deduce, that we won the league in 1980/81 with 14 players, it tells you everything....keeping your best 11 playing, is paramount to success....not so easy today.

ย 

With regards to number of players, apparently that season Ipswich played something like 25 more games than us in all the cups added up and that's what killed them in the end

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

With regards to number of players, apparently that season Ipswich played something like 25 more games than us in all the cups added up and that's what killed them in the end

I assume you mean 1980/81 season.....could well have made the difference.

I am unaware of how many players Ipswich used, but they was a fine team withย guile and poise....but it does strike a chord of how significant it is.

What we did in terms of 14 players, will never be done again.

I must confess for a layman like me, its hard to assess the true significance of energy in the tank.....We have to trust the management to get that right.

ย 

ย 

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I assume you mean 1980/81 season.....could well have made the difference.

I am unaware of how many players Ipswich used, but they was a fine team withย guile and poise....but it does strike a chord of how significant it is.

What we did in terms of 14 players, will never be done again.

I must confess for a layman like me, its hard to assess the true significance of energy in the tank.....We have to trust the management to get that right.

ย 

ย 

Yes sorry in 1981