Match Thread: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Thing is we only have ourselves to blame for being in this position. We had the whole summer to sign a striker and we didn’t.

Letting Archer go is absolutely criminal IMO. No way he passes these chances up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Again, offside is offside.  Doesn't matter whether it's 1cm or 1 mile.

But when it is SO marginal, I mean  a subjective millimetre, when do they draw the offside VAR line, at what point: when he touches the ball or when it leaves his boot, because that half second is the difference. What happened to favouring the attacker?

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Thing is we only have ourselves to blame for being in this position. We had the whole summer to sign a striker and we didn’t.

Diaby and Zaniolo though. Althought I think Watkins needs more clear competition.

• Like 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I'd simplify offside in a heartbeat.

If the whole of the ball has to be over the line for a goal, the whole of the attacker has to be offside.

Especially when they're pausing the clip at a particular frame. One frame or two later and everything looks different.

• Like 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

If the whole of the ball has to be over the line for a goal, the whole of the attacker has to be offside.

I'd probably like that in the spirit of giving the attacker the advantage, you'd still have people pissed off about marginal 1 inch decisions though, as it's just moving the line

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

No, what would you rather have, VAR being used to spot arm pit hair offsides or the likes of salah blocking the keepers view being given?

What they want VAR to do and where we are with the offside rule in general now is both bizarre and bullshit

Like Watkins also blocking the keepers view when Diaby scored at Burnley?

They've obviously decided those are generally fine (which I think is wrong, but they're consistent) and Diaby was offside there.  I'm failing to see the outrage if I'm honest.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

You'd still get the tiny, tiny margins.  It wouldn't be any more simple.

Just now, bobzy said:

Like Watkins also blocking the keepers view when Diaby scored at Burnley?

They've obviously decided those are generally fine (which I think is wrong, but they're consistent) and Diaby was offside there.  I'm failing to see the outrage if I'm honest.

Yes exactly like that