Transfer Near Misses !!

Adbo9

Still convinced Defoe would've been great under O'neill. Him, Carew and Gabby would've been a brilliant strikeforce to rotate in the european seasons.

We then signed Heskey and was beginning of the end as just a typical O'Neill signing that was just a clone of what we already had in those positions and of course older and on bigger wages.

Even under Lambert I don't get why we didn't go for him Robbie Keane style as he went to Sunderland and was still very good for 18 months in his mid 30s.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Doug should never have let him leave his office without signing.  Juninho 

image.jpeg.27ecb9595329de72bbd20299e6408705.jpeg

Juninho was never really the same after he broke his leg just before the World cup in 1998. Came back to Boro twice and was o.k but nowhere near level in his first spell.

I also don't really get where he'd have played in Gregory's 3-5-2 as we had Dublin and Joachim as the established front two and Merse as the attacking midfielder who was great the next season.

I don't really think Juninho would've been better than someone like Carbone.

Robbie Keane was a far bigger miss in that period.

Some links, some closer than others, from late 90s

Les Ferdinand 

Robbie Keane

Christian Vieri

Alan Shearer!

Juninho

Izzet

Benni McCarthy

Van Nistelroy (remember talk of a £15m bid at one point)

Our problem in the 90s wasn't that we didn't spend enough it was that we spent on the wrong players: Curcic, Collymore, Steve Stone, Alan Thompson to name a few. Of course Merse and Dublin were terrific signings. 

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that MON could have signed Suarez in the January window where he decided that Heskey was the best option.

Falcao, not Suarez…

FFS MON 😡🤦‍♂️

He was mostly shite at signings, so limited.

Wasted too much money on too much dross, Lerner should never have given him such free rein.

-

We would have been unstoppable had we somehow managed to sign Vieri…

In fact, if Gregory had been allowed to sign his top targets… we would have been a really formidable team back then and maybe have won a few things…

-

Failing to extend Carbone’s stay was quite devastating at the time… what a player he was… I’ll never forget his hat trick in the cup vs Leeds…

Benito and Merse brought the flair and skill that we had desperately lacked…

We really F’ up that FA Cup final and finishing sixth after being first for so long… 🤦‍♂️🥲

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mic09 said:

"Transfer near misses".

It's "near hits". If you nearly miss something, you hit it.

Yes, I am the life of any party. 

Yeah, the title is a bit misleading or confusing 😆

It sounds like players we were GLAD to have missed out on, that would’ve turned out to be terrible for us.

Tbf though… I think we’ve covered that as a club and more missed out on the signings or players that would have been Amazing for us! 😂😂😂

Or does it mean players we nearly missed out on but did end up signing? 🤷‍♂️ 😆

😵‍💫

Apparently the final straw for John Gregory (in fact I think he was quoted on this) was that he had Diego Forlan and Andres D'Allessandro all but signed yet Ellis put a block on it due to how long it took Juan Pablo Angel to settle.

13 hours ago, NeilS said:

I might be misremembering but think we were linked with Klinsmann and ended up with Fashanu, Klinsmann then went on to join Spurs.

Also, a strong link to Bergkamp from Inter Milan, ended up with Savo. I think we were linked with a young Pires , pre Arsenal as well.

Christian Vieri and Junhinho were strongly linked back in the 90’s, but again neither signed for us.

HDE actually picked him up from BHX in his roller and took him to Villa Park, no wonder he left and signed for Arsenal. :( Here are a few more:

image.jpeg.4934c7960c75e26af2829f9ee51d8ece.jpeg image.jpeg.3a6593e355185c4fb6ef4f5565a9ada1.jpeg image.jpeg.272167c878dba7a5d5a622297b8d0edc.jpeg Michael Owen admits believing he was still best in world at 33 - Mirror  Online 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villan95 said:

Adebayor supposedly had photos taken with the shirt before divine intervention 😆

That was nonsense, he came to the training ground out of respect for Sherwood but he had no intention of signing. 

12 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

The summer we signed Draper, Southgate and Milosevic

I'll never forget it. Seeing Southgate in the stands sitting holding the new Villa shirt at the time that had a horrible big square patch across the centre of the shirt with AST Computers punched out of it, It looked quite shit.

Thankfully, we went on to just have the 'AST Computers' wording letters pressed onto the shirt instead of the stupid big square.

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Wiki says born in halesowen, went to school in Hagley, villa fan, signed a youth contract with torquay... How does that happen?!

Not sure if anyone listens to undr the cosh podcast (its a very good listen btw) they had Lee Sharpe on recently and he said that he was released by Blues, and something like his mates dad worked for a supermarket who had a friend in Torquay, a few of Sharpe's mates were having a trial at Torquay so asked if he wanted to go with them. Missed a trial and Wolves, signed for Torquay and 6 months later or so he was at Man Utd.

• Like 1

Falcao AND Cavani were offered to us. We were heavily linked to Moutinho too (Along with Everton). We signed Heskey. 

Shearer (twice) once before Southampton or was it Bburn.

And then when he had issues at Newcastle when he had his injury. Also Robbie Fowler when he left liverscum he was available but we couldn’t deal. 

Roberto Carlos n Bergkamp too. 

Â