Transfer Near Misses !!

Adbo9

2 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

Only ever had one bit of ITK, which I only found out straight from the horses mouth only a couple years or so ago...… we were as close as you can get to signing Jimmy Flloyd Hasselbaink after selling Yorkie,  but he turned us down last minute when he was at Leeds.   Told me his agent had heard rumours of interest from the big clubs in Spain and from Liverpool, so decided to push those moves, but they never came off and he eventually got his move 12 months after.   He tried to ressurect it but wed since been and signed Dion Dublin.

Went to Atletico Madrid, scored 20 + goals in La Liga and got relegated so that worked out well for him.😂

Probably sums us up in the late 90s...a bit more luck (and money) and we could've had a front two of Hasselbaink and Robbie Keane for a couple of seasons and then sold both on for big profits.

As excellent as Merse and Dublin were for us for long spells they were late 20s when we signed both and eventually left on free transfers. Nilis aswell although of course just terrible luck with losing him after 3 games.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, picicata said:

We were pretty close to signing Lampard but he chose Chelsea instead

Who was the player that was announced as 'signed' on Sky Sports, complete with yellow ticker tape and everything? I think it was a Spurs player? Early 2010's? And then it turned out no one knew anything about it or where it had come from

Fairly sure we were about to sign Chimbonda one transfer deadline day, probably one of the seasons MON was playing Reo-Coker or another midfielder at RB.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Hasselbaink would have been one hell of a signing.

He also said that Atletico signed him on JG's recommendation to the Atlético Chairman, Jesus gill weren't it - played for Luton with him.............. 

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

And he played at Luton with who? I'm so confused.

John Gregory played at Luton with Raddy Antic who was atletico madrid gaffer, and it was JGs recommendation to him about JFH

• Thanks 1

Can you imagine Ellis and Jesus Gil in the same boardroom when we played Atletico Madrid in 1998?! Surprised they didn't come on and have a half time bicycle kick competition infront of the Holte.

Don't really believe we recommended them Hasselbaink either given they messed us about with Juninho's bonus and wanting us to pay that to get the loan done.

20 hours ago, picicata said:

We were pretty close to signing Lampard but he chose Chelsea instead

Who was the player that was announced as 'signed' on Sky Sports, complete with yellow ticker tape and everything? I think it was a Spurs player? Early 2010's? And then it turned out no one knew anything about it or where it had come from

Clint Dempsey, think he signed for Spurs later that day

Tim Cahill another one Sky said was a done deal

Not a player coming in but I remember back in the mid-2000s that me and my dad had been to a game, can't remember now which one, but it was a evening one. 

On the way home we stopped at the services, Frankley on the M5 South. 

There was a chap who had a puncture and was struggling to sort it. We asked if he wanted a hand & he straight away clocked the Villa tops we had on. 

Anyway, got talking and he asked if we had been to the game. He then said he had and asked what we thought of several players - I remember distinctly one was Olof Mellberg. 

Turns out the chap was a scout for Galatasaray. 

I remember getting back in our car and being fuming that this bloke had been there watching our players 😂 

So, if you ever bump into a random at a services and they ask what you think of such and such a player, always say 'Oh him, yeah mate, he's shit'. 

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Not a player coming in but I remember back in the mid-2000s that me and my dad had been to a game, can't remember now which one, but it was a evening one. 

On the way home we stopped at the services, Frankley on the M5 South. 

There was a chap who had a puncture and was struggling to sort it. We asked if he wanted a hand & he straight away clocked the Villa tops we had on. 

Anyway, got talking and he asked if we had been to the game. He then said he had and asked what we thought of several players - I remember distinctly one was Olof Mellberg. 

Turns out the chap was a scout for Galatasaray. 

I remember getting back in our car and being fuming that this bloke had been there watching our players 😂 

So, if you ever bump into a random at a services and they ask what you think of such and such a player, always say 'Oh him, yeah mate, he's shit'. 

That would be an interesting scout report:

"Mellberg - poor game but some random blokes at the services said they rate him so I think we should make an offer." ;)

Â