Transfer Near Misses !!

Adbo9

18 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Angel was from River Plate. And very highly rated when we got him.

Yes mate I know, I was crazy excited about him and overjoyed when he scored his first goal. We didn’t help him settle at all.

I was just referring to players we didn’t end up signing but could have… if Ellis had supported JG. A bit more backing and we would have had a much stronger and attractive side (even though it was quite good… we were held back in a sense and could have achieved things).

An Angel and Saviola partnership, supported by Aimar, with Yepes in defence…

We would’ve had one of the best and most devastating sides in the league 😂

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Angel went through such a hard time, the club wasn’t equipped to support him or help him settle properly. It was only after this that we employed someone for such a role:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2203885/gregory-confirms-yepes-interest

Gregory remains confident that Angel will find the kind of goalscoring form that convinced the Villa boss to splash out a record fee on him, insisting that the striker merely needs to get settled before he can be totally focussed on matters on the pitch. 

"He's made of strong stuff," said Gregory. "It's a difficult time with trying to keep his life together as well as playing. 

"His wife is in hospital and she's very ill. She's had an operation and he slept down at the hospital for a couple of nights because she's been so poorly. It's been a pretty gruesome time for him. 

"In addition his three-week-old son has been ill, he's living out of a suitcase, trying to find a home for his family in a new country and learning to speak English. 

"Also, he knows he's got the responsibility on his shoulders of being our record signing and the anxiety was there in his performance against Middlesbrough."

Would have been an even better player with more positive/effective seasons and more/consistent goals if we had supported him properly…

Collymore was a different case but we failed to support or help him with his issues too… could have got much more out of our players if we did. Different times…

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yes mate I know, I was crazy excited about him and overjoyed when he scored his first goal. We didn’t help him settle at all.

I was just referring to players we didn’t end up signing but could have… if Ellis had supported JG. A bit more backing and we would have had a much stronger and attractive side (even though it was quite good… we were held back in a sense and could have achieved things).

An Angel and Saviola partnership, supported by Aimar, with Yepes in defence…

We would’ve had one of the best and most devastating sides in the league 😂

I was big into Championshio Manager back then and can recall Angel being one of the first players where I was super excited because I had already known him from the game!

I think I had a save at one time with Angel, Aimar and Yepes in the villa team!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Angel went through such a hard time, the club wasn’t equipped to support him or help him settle properly. It was only after this that we employed someone for such a role:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2203885/gregory-confirms-yepes-interest

Gregory remains confident that Angel will find the kind of goalscoring form that convinced the Villa boss to splash out a record fee on him, insisting that the striker merely needs to get settled before he can be totally focussed on matters on the pitch. 

"He's made of strong stuff," said Gregory. "It's a difficult time with trying to keep his life together as well as playing. 

"His wife is in hospital and she's very ill. She's had an operation and he slept down at the hospital for a couple of nights because she's been so poorly. It's been a pretty gruesome time for him. 

"In addition his three-week-old son has been ill, he's living out of a suitcase, trying to find a home for his family in a new country and learning to speak English. 

"Also, he knows he's got the responsibility on his shoulders of being our record signing and the anxiety was there in his performance against Middlesbrough."

Would have been an even better player with more positive/effective seasons and more/consistent goals if we had supported him properly…

Collymore was a different case but we failed to support or help him with his issues too… could have got much more out of our players if we did. Different times…

saw something on that maybe last year or the year before, we were the first club to do it and now its commonplace, im sure they said liverpool had a whole team dedicated to it

angel and his wife changed the mentality of football clubs and how they approach new signings and settling down

I used to knock around with a lad who played cricket with John Curtis (manure rb). He was all set to join Villa, but went to see BFR who he thought was arrogant. He then went with his parents to see SAF at manure, and they didn't even talk about football, just how Man U would help John mature. So he joined them.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

JG’s scouting report from a River Plate game he went to see…

-

Ellis told him he could only have one player from there.

-

I really admired JG, his passion and love for the club was obvious. Always talked us up and praised us… he really wanted to take the club as far as possible… competing for the highest honours…

Hurt me even more to see how hurt he was at failing short (from his own aspirations or aims)… we played so poorly in what was a winnable FA Cup final…

I remember when we were top of the league for so long and all the media were constantly saying was “when will the bubble burst?” and more shite and condescending crap like that…

Unfortunately we fell away quite drastically and failed to add from a position of strength… again… Mr. Ellis…

Wow, what a document to have. Incredible.

Apparently,  if the calendar year 1998 was a premier league season we would have won it. We ended 97/98 so strongly and started 98/99 the same.

The less said about the year 1999 the better (ended 98/99 abysmal and were steugfling at the half way point of 99/00 before rallying in December).

Yepes would've been great in premier league, imagine him and Mellberg as the CBs.

Aimar took a while to settle at Valencia so not convinced he'd have been a great fit in our team.

One that actually hasn't been mentioned but was mentioned in Brian Little's autobiography was we had Danny Blind at the ground ready to sign right after Euro 96 (so with timeline probably McGrath's replacement) but then Doug kept mentioning stuff like inventing the Bicycle kick to him so unsurprisingly he decided to stay at Ajax.😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

HDE actually picked him up from BHX in his roller and took him to Villa Park, no wonder he left and signed for Arsenal. :( Here are a few more:

image.jpeg.4934c7960c75e26af2829f9ee51d8ece.jpeg image.jpeg.3a6593e355185c4fb6ef4f5565a9ada1.jpeg image.jpeg.272167c878dba7a5d5a622297b8d0edc.jpeg Michael Owen admits believing he was still best in world at 33 - Mirror  Online 

When was Owen ever linked? Unless was when he was at Liverpool/Real then wouldnt call it a miss

Just now, Zatman said:

When was Owen ever linked? Unless was when he was at Liverpool/Real then wouldnt call it a miss

Maybe linked when he came back to sign for Newcastle? They were hardly a bigger draw than us in summer 2005.

Also thinking about it think people were calling for us to sign him after Newcastle got relegated but he was finished by then as top level striker so would've just been an expensive bench warmer and that's what he did at Man. United giving Fergie some horse racing tips instead.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe linked when he came back to sign for Newcastle? They were hardly a bigger draw than us in summer 2005.

Also thinking about it think people were calling for us to sign him after Newcastle got relegated but he was finished by then as top level striker so would've just been an expensive bench warmer and that's what he did at Man. United giving Fergie some horse racing tips instead.

We wouldn't have been able to afford him then, we struggled to pay 6 million for Baros that summer 😂

It took us about 6 more seasons to pay a transfer fee like that for Bent

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

When he was at Newcastle, I agree with the above, but at least he wouldn't have scored against us in the 2010 LCF. 

7 minutes ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

I'll never forget seeing an article in the Daily Mail saying that Dennis Bergkamp was flying in to the UK that day to sign for us - done deal.  The next day, it was announced that he'd signed for Arsenal.

I know. What a load of nonsense that was.  He doesn't like flying for a start.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Yepes would've been great in premier league, imagine him and Mellberg as the CBs.

Aimar took a while to settle at Valencia so not convinced he'd have been a great fit in our team.

One that actually hasn't been mentioned but was mentioned in Brian Little's autobiography was we had Danny Blind at the ground ready to sign right after Euro 96 (so with timeline probably McGrath's replacement) but then Doug kept mentioning stuff like inventing the Bicycle kick to him so unsurprisingly he decided to stay at Ajax.😂

In Little Villan, published in 1996, Little referenced a player that would be signing but didn't think he named him. I assumed it was Curcic! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that MON could have signed Suarez in the January window where he decided that Heskey was the best option.

I think there were rumours after we played AJAX in the uefa cup we were sniffing........... 

• Like 1

Â