Villa player assessments you got humiliatingly wrong ...

Marka Ragnos

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I saw Carlton Cole make his debut and he was **** electric, the complete centre forward.

Never had another decent game and faded into obscurity.

Two nil against Palace i think , first game of the season, he scored, 2004?

Edited by Follyfoot

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I thought Glenn Whelan was an absolute clogger, brought in to try to help 1-0 our way to promotion under Bruce. Turned out he was very technically and positionally sound. 

Thought he was instrumental in our run to playoffs under Smith and then was left out in finals as was reasonable. Elmo really stepped up when Hutton was ruled out. I think we didn't get promoted if Hutton didn't get injured

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I saw Carlton Cole make his debut and he was **** electric, the complete centre forward.

Never had another decent game and faded into obscurity.

You weren't the only one. I'd seen him a fair bit before, but my mate was adamant after that Southampton game that he was gonna be amazing. I tried to tell him he really wasn't all that.

Edited by Tom13

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not a player but i though Paul Lambert was gonna be the man to sort us out, he most definitely was not.

i was there last game of the season norwich away chanting his name

I once had delfouneso on the back of a shirt...it was the turquoise and black one too which was a great shirt but that ultimately led to me getting rid of it

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thought he was instrumental in our run to playoffs under Smith and then was left out in finals as was reasonable. Elmo really stepped up when Hutton was ruled out. I think we didn't get promoted if Hutton didn't get injured

i hated elmo under bruce, he was the epitome of bruce ball, 5 to 10 ponderous passes along the back 4 before elmo sprung some sort of mythical trap with a long ball in to space down the right wing for kodjia to leave his striker role and go chasing 

he was fine under smith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Albrighton,  thought he would help us stay in the league, not help Leicester win it. 😬

saw him in the peace cup along with bannan, lowry, herd, lichaj even guzan and there was a proper buzz around us and it felt like these kids had to make it

the cross for the 3rd goal

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think many ‘overrated’ him in that I don’t know anyone who thought he was amazing - he was just a solid top-half PL midfielder and I recall him being widely seen as such after we realised his amazing debut was a one off. I do think your position is slightly off on the bang average/got sick bit at the end of his career - I remember that as everyone saying “why is he playing so badly right now?” and then the answer was “oh because he has leukaemia” - it was understanding the situation rather than leaving it alone. No doubt his form had dropped but I’d say very few leukaemia patients would smash it in a PL game!

Don’t think I’ve got too many calls wrong with players, but I did overrate Draper - couldn’t understand why he wasn’t in the England team - and I definitely expected more from Vassell than ended up happening (weird thing to say for someone who got 20+ England caps). Curtis Davies I also thought would go to the very top and then he fell off a cliff…

Ironically I think his last game v Arsenal? We were absolutely shit but he was amongst the better players

Couple that spring to mind in Tony Cascarino and Stan Collymore. Both meant to be the missing piece of the jigsaw, but we’re disappointing overall.

I even thought Micah Richards on a free was an astute bit of business, but obviously his knees were shot on arrival.

A major one though that I remember was Saša Ćurčić. Immense talent, but turns out he wasn’t really bothered about performing on the pitch. Retired at 29 and just wanted to have sex. The Serbian George Best.

IMG_0910.webp.5e894f1ce43ad1059b586f7f8068b384.webp

• Like 1

Â