Villa player assessments you got humiliatingly wrong ...

Marka Ragnos

15 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

i remember going to the annual preseason game at Bescot when wed signed Jores Okore, and i was looking forward to seeing him play, and he was embaressingly bad,  he kept shanking the ball, shirking headers, closing his eyes, turning his back - i knew then he was a dud - one of the few I got right

A game he didnt actually play 😉

club website doesnt have him playing Walsall in 2013 but Donacien

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, FLVillan said:

I thought one of these two was a very useful signing and one was a complete waste of money.  I was correct.  Except I got it backwards...😀

ScreenShot2023-09-06at7_58_37PM.thumb.jpg.ca7c20f301548242ad67a956e26bfdfa.jpg

Yes Nigel  Callaghan was good at Watford but was the slowest thing on two legs I have seen.. Ian Ormonroyd did well the season we finished second. A Graham Taylor type player.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes Nigel  Callaghan was good at Watford but was the slowest thing on two legs I have seen.. Ian Ormonroyd did well the season we finished second. A Graham Taylor type player.

Sticks

On 06/09/2023 at 08:21, Kiwivillan said:

Thought he was instrumental in our run to playoffs under Smith and then was left out in finals as was reasonable. Elmo really stepped up when Hutton was ruled out. I think we didn't get promoted if Hutton didn't get injured

No. The amount of suicidal passes and ridiculous errors that lead to goals or huge chances meant he was a constant liability for me. At least one of them got Bruce the sack though

After this initial breakthrough  in a back 5 with Ugo and the clueless manger bloke  , I though Gareth Barry was too slow to be a quality player at the top level , moves like he's running through treacle  was how I used to describe him ..

though tbf it did take a few mangers and settling on him at CM  before we got to see his real quality 

Edited by tonyh29

JJ for me. I didn't rate him at all and didn't think he'd make it here.

I still maintain he had some absolute stinkers when he first came through but I was obviously completely wrong about his potential

• Like 2

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think that window under Houllier we were also linked to a Fofana from France but he had to retire a few seasons later injured.

Christ it's enough just to be linked to Villa for the curse to strike. Just look at Tammy now.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

no way! i hated signing him, he had 1 good year in him

lost in the mire of the terrible relegation season but i think he's the worst player to ever play for aston villa

he was **** terrible

I remember years back when Kozak got in and scored a few people were convinced he was going to be Benteke's replacement when the time came. I argued at the time Kozak was very too limited to do that....so of course we then signed a guy who was even more limited technically than Libor to replace Benteke.

Saw Gestede early that season v Sunderland and he couldn't control the ball when it was played to his feet so there and then I knew he wasn't going to be good enough unless we were just putting pinpoint crosses onto his forehead as Amavi did a few times.

Shows how bad our transfer strategy was although Sherwood's plan was to sign Adebayor and he was past it at prem level by 2015, think Berbatov was linked aswell.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

no way! i hated signing him, he had 1 good year in him

lost in the mire of the terrible relegation season but i think he's the worst player to ever play for aston villa

he was **** terrible

Scary part is he wasn't even the worst player in our relegation squad

I thought the Fonz would be immense, or at the very least a decent PL striker. In the end he was an average League 1 striker...

On the other hand I didn't think that much of Jacob Ramsey. Thought he'd be another Bannan/Herd. Never thought he'd end up half as good as he is already.

• Like 1

Â