Villa player assessments you got humiliatingly wrong ...

Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Thought Ashley Westwood was underrated. 

Turns out he was perfectly rated in every squad he was in. 

He did really well for us when Sherwood took over, was outstanding in the Liverpool SF win.

Badly exposed once Delph left though and we had no mobility in the CM area anymore though. 

1 hour ago, KAZZAM said:

I thought Makoun was gonna be really good. 

Him and Michael Bradley that window was actually on paper a decent amount to reshape the midfield post Milner and Barry. Think that window under Houllier we were also linked to a Fofana from France but he had to retire a few seasons later injured.

Instead both flopped and were gone without six months and we just went back to Stan who did his best pre illness and had some very odd choices next to him. Pretty sure all of Clark, Heskey, Warnock and Chris Herd all played central midfield for parts of that season next to McLeish so it was real sticky plaster when we should've given Bradley and Makoun more games and then signed one of them permanently. They were both mid 20s and had done well in other leagues and internationally.

• Like 1

Maloney and Harewood on for Petrov and Gabby at HT vs Newcastle game I went to changed the game. Marlon was man possessed. I yelled Marlon you legend from lower Holte when he forced corner and he heard me and put his hand to ear for chants. So exciting first game experience. Thought Maloney was going to be special. Had good game in Chelsea away win from memory but thought MON misused him but didn't kick on after us

Edited by Kiwivillan

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Two nil against Palace i think , first game of the season, he scored, 2004?

As mentioned above it was Southampton.

Darius Vassell got the first and our old "friend" Uriah Rennie was the ref.

Team:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He did really well for us when Sherwood took over, was outstanding in the Liverpool SF win.

Badly exposed once Delph left though and we had no mobility in the CM area anymore though. 

I said to all of my non supporting Villa mates he would be in the England squad within the year. What the hell was I thinking? I shouldn't be allowed to watch football.

I was one of those who thought Hogan was making good runs but was poor because the other players were not on his wavelength.  I thought similar of Weimann and thought he could be a top level striker in the right setup.

In contrast I did like Peter Crouch and could see there was way more of a player in there than someone to just lump long balls up to.

Loved Petrov's debut, thought we had acquired a cracking attacking or box to box midfielder,  but everything after that disappointed me, even when he loads of others eventually took to him.     

I thought Curtis Davies was destined to be Villa and England's new Rio Ferdinand....

I also thought Guy Whittingham was gonna fire us back to the Title and the FA Cup.................. 

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

I think he had a chance of being so without the injuries

Yeah probably, and the inconsistency. One match he’s like prime CR7 the next he’s shanking the ball out for a throw in and ambling around… mad

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think if he was born 10 years earlier, he might have been quality. He was doing well but coming up on the age of the gegenpress and all-athletic midfielders. 

As it was - he wasn't even pacey enough for the top end premier league but he still almost every game for a bottom half Burnley and think he would've stuck around Villa had we stayed up.

As a pure passer, he was above average but he couldn't dribble and his defensive work was nosh.

• Like 1

From that cursed team - I thought Jores Okore was going to be quality. I forget that clip - but he out paced some UCL player and he was excellent during his debut.

Then he did his ACL and never looked the same again.

Henri Lansbury.

From the moment we dropped into the Championship I was adamant that Lansbury was mustard and was the ideal player to sort our midfield problems out. He then played his debut at Villa Park against Preston and I left the ground believing he was prime Iniesta.

Turns out I was wrong.

32 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

From that cursed team - I thought Jores Okore was going to be quality. I forget that clip - but he out paced some UCL player and he was excellent during his debut.

Then he did his ACL and never looked the same again.

i remember going to the annual preseason game at Bescot when wed signed Jores Okore, and i was looking forward to seeing him play, and he was embaressingly bad,  he kept shanking the ball, shirking headers, closing his eyes, turning his back - i knew then he was a dud - one of the few I got right

6 hours ago, mrchnry said:

A 13 year old me sat in the tennis courts pub in Perry Barr for the cup final in 1996 proudly exclaimed "get Savo off the pitch he's crap" about 30 seconds before he scores a screamer. 

People didn't even celebrate they just turned round and looked at me. 

Mine was similar. Was watching it with a few mates at the time and as he was pulling the trigger from 30 yards out and I shouted "noooo what are you doing???!"

Â