Villa player assessments you got humiliatingly wrong ...

Marka Ragnos

On 06/09/2023 at 02:52, FLVillan said:

Long long time ago, the old man said "that Tommy Craig is exactly what we've needed for a long time in our midfield."  Perhaps the worst signing we ever made prior to Balaban and the Djemba twins.  Certainly the worst of the Sir Ron Saunders era.

I think your Dad was probably right (they usually are;)). Problem is that we signed him too late. We should have got him when he was at Sheffield Weds and running their midfield, rather than after he left Newcastle. That said, I wouldn't say he was our worst signing before Balaban & Djemba. What about this one?

PROMATCH 96- #281-ASTON VILLA & YUGOSLAVIA-BOLTON WANDERERS-SASA CURCIC  | eBay

• Like 1

I thought McCormack would be just what we needed. Yeeesh!

Believed Richards was going to be an astute signing too. 

Had high hopes for Jean II Makoun, and also thought Remi Garde was going be a good manager for us.

No one should ever listen to my opinions again 😭

Edited by StanBalaban

6 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

While well past it at Baggies the year before he was at least functional/competent so I though he'd be somewhat solid if nothing else. 

Pulis knew he was done as a CB, pretty much just played him as a very defensive LB in a penalty box sitting defence the season before so he was always going to be a disaster in a Sherwood backline.

Can't remember who it was, but recall there being heated debate about selling Grealish to Derby for like £4m on here once when we got relegated. Admittedly I think I might have brought it up once or twice since.

Many people claimed Nakamba was better than Luiz.

On a personal note, I didn't really bat an eyelid when O'Neill compared Young to Messi and Ronaldo.

Thought Mings and McGinn were done under Gerrard, wouldn't say that was that outrageous though.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

A game he didnt actually play 😉

club website doesnt have him playing Walsall in 2013 but Donacien

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2014/08/05/walsall-0-1-villa-match-report-hutton-on-target-in-comfortable-win

I knew id seen him play at bescot............ but it was summer after - i defo saw him play the preseason he signed, and he was dross... think he got an OG and everything - possible up there with Ron Vlaar as the wankest centre half ive ever seen don boots

4 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2014/08/05/walsall-0-1-villa-match-report-hutton-on-target-in-comfortable-win

I knew id seen him play at bescot............ but it was summer after - i defo saw him play the preseason he signed, and he was dross... think he got an OG and everything - possible up there with Ron Vlaar as the wankest centre half ive ever seen don boots

Vlaar wasn't weak? He was just injured a lot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Well that was his probably his 1st game after injury

If think Vlaar and Okore were our worst centre backs then I assume you must really rate Richards and Lescott

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well that was his probably his 1st game after injury

If think Vlaar and Okore were our worst centre backs then I assume you must really rate Richards and Lescott

not at all, but the whole point of the thread is "players you got wrong" ...... i didn't get Richards or Lescott wrong.  Both formerly good players and way past their best and injury prone when we signed them - i cant put them as the worst as I wasn't expecting the earth from them … On the other hand, Vlaar and Okore weren't - hence I got them wrong.  I thought theyd be good signings, but the realism is they wouldn't have improved a league 2 club they were that poor.  

Okore was vs some foreign team in villa park when hed recently joined - abysmal showing - i thought then he would be a busted flush - he didnt get any better, then got crocked.  Really Really Bad

42 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

i didnt say he was weak....... i said he was Wank.  Polystyrene Ron

I misread, although I think wank is an even more inaccurate description. Tbf he was probably the best CB we had from the Lambert-Sherwood era, although that isn't saying much.

• Like 3

Â