Match Thread: Liverpool v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We aren’t good enough for top 4 just yet let’s be realistic . Europa league we’ll be challenging no doubt , but honestly we’ve got to take the cups seriously . 

I thought the talk of us pushing for Champions League places before the season started was a bit ott as well. We're not there yet, but we're working on it. A season with less injuries would help as well....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Callum said:

Watkins off. 
Pau off. 
Kamara off. 

need duran tearing around, ruffling their back line. 

Pau, so far for me is no where near physical enough. extremely naive. Needs to get the basics right before trying his floozy tricks.

teilemans to replace kamara, who is the biggest Jekyll & Hyde of them all. Either borderline world class, or like today, absolutely redundant. 

As fans we really need to stop getting carried away. We’ve improved yes, but so has every single other team. Infact more in most cases. Every single time we come up against anyone half decent we are really, really questionable

lol 😂 Go and have a walk around the garden! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Poor half, these are the games we miss Mings the most. Liverpool not even out of second gear.  Worrying thing, is it’s the same as Newcastle - undone by the same thing over and over again in a half. Once. Twice maybe is forgivable but it’s constantly the same.  Desire also seems to be missing.

all that being said 1 quick goal, and we can get something - that’s crazy

For as badly as we have played, we could easily have had two goals had we had more composure n focus 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

Particularly when he keeps playing a high line against him.

Said before the season started the high line would crucify Villa against the better teams.

Exactly this.

We can’t play a high line with Torres.  Konsa and Mings are rapid, so it generally worked.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

If we're gonna be flat track bullies it might take us to another top 7 finish but you wont' ever challenge for top 4 if you don't get some unexpecting results.

We got plenty of unexpected results under Unai last season tbf.

5 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I don’t think Emery will make any changes at HT, but I hope he’s making some tactical tweaks.

For a start McGinn needs to sit on Trent and stop him passing. 

I'd rather get mcginn more central and stick diaby and bailey out wide and spring some diagonals at them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's not much different to last season's game except we were much more incisive on the counter. This is where we miss Ramsey, he has that ability to break with strength and pace.

Agreed, when's he back again?

I think we are defending too high again in a game whereby the opponents strengths are pressure and pace we should be dropping off a little more instead of inviting them in behind us. Seems so counter productive considering Newcastle away. The top teams play high with pace, you cant contain them with a high line.