January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

Reyna is no better than Rogers and I’m not even keen on Rogers but thats just my opinion think we can find another machine elsewhere and stop restricting ourselves have a look in portugal or brazil must be some don dadas over there surely🤔

Reyna is a gamble too but I don't agree he isn't better than Rogers, in terms of talent Reyna wins hands down, he was starring for Dortmund just last season at the age of 19/20. It's a loan with option to buy too so no risk if he doesn't perform, unlike with Rogers who we'd have to buy outright. 

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

We need to be looking to bring in players that are going to keep us in the top four i think thats the most sensible statement to make and Rogers is not someone I’m banking on to help achieve that, thats not saying he isn’t  good but we can wait until the summer for players like that… right now we need some beasts, Monchi needs to be more confident and go for some sensations ! 🤝

The issue is teams like Spurs and West Ham, just behind us, are getting stronger by signing players for the first team while we are selling useful squad players like Dendoncker and no one knows if a replacement is coming in. The one player we have signed looks promising but not ready yet as we have loaned him back to his club and the other player we are interested in looks a very bold punt and a strange move given we could have got him for £1m in summer if we really wanted him. 

If we don't make the top 4 this season, or heaven forbid we don't even make the top 5, we can point to this lack of strengthening as a very key reason IMO. Let's hope it doesn't matter. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

Cannot understand why some feel spending a reported £5-7 mill loan fee plus £700’000 per month on wages for a player who hasn’t played for ages would be a good deal for us for someone who wouldn’t get into our best XI - too much money for little reward 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

1. Do you understand the concept of FFP?

2. Do you understand signing new players/strengthening doesn't guarantee improvement. Diaby big money signing not getting picked to start, Carlos looking like a liability often. Other clubs spending stupid money on flops.

3. We achieved 2nd most points in 2023 and strengthened halfway through and have dropped points along the way with key people unavailable at various times. 

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

The issue is teams like Spurs and West Ham, just behind us, are getting stronger by signing players for the first team while we are selling useful squad players like Dendoncker and no one knows if a replacement is coming in. The one player we have signed looks promising but not ready yet as we have loaned him back to his club and the other player we are interested in looks a very bold punt and a strange move given we could have got him for £1m in summer if we really wanted him. 

If we don't make the top 4 this season, or heaven forbid we don't even make the top 5, we can point to this lack of strengthening as a very key reason IMO. Let's hope it doesn't matter. 

Yeah Leeroy, yeah

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Cannot understand why some feel spending a reported £5-7 mill loan fee plus £700’000 per month on wages for a player who hasn’t played for ages would be a good deal for us for someone who wouldn’t get into our best XI - too much money for little reward 

Yeah, exactly, but this is nothing new. There will always be these comments and questions despite the suitability or fit regarding the player in question.

I don't mean to be negative, and I do understand FFP, we need to give full attention to increasing our revenue and income streams in the months and years ahead because quite frankly we aren't doing well here. I'll just give 2 examples: January 1999 and January 2009. We were in the top 4 on both occasions, and fell away badly on both occasions for not strengthening accordingly. I just don't want history repeating itself, which it always seems to do being a Villa fan. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I don't mean to be negative, and I do understand FFP, we need to give full attention to increasing our revenue and income streams in the months and years ahead because quite frankly we aren't doing well here. I'll just give 2 examples: January 1999 and January 2009. We were in the top 4 on both occasions, and fell away badly on both occasions for not strengthening accordingly. I just don't want history repeating itself, which it always seems to do being a Villa fan. 

Look at Newcastle. It doesn't guarantee anything.

We need sustained improvement and success. CL would be that and be amazing (and I would argue the Europa League would be a major success too). However, it (CL) isn't worth getting desperate and throwing big cash around in January and setting ourselves back on growth/FFP. I do think if a long term target suddenly became available we would pounce (Nico Williams ilk).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I get this. Who could possibly forget, in January 2009, when we spured the chance to sign Falcao (because we wouldn't fork out £5m) from River Plate and, instead, opted to sign Heskey from Wigan for £3m...

However, I've never been more secure in the knowledge we have the best people in the right places. I've never felt so trusting of our ownership and recruitment staff (Unai included). We'll do what we need to do, within the rules we're bound by. We're in good hands; arguably the best in the league.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This is so interesting.

So many of these clubs unperturbed by FFP.

Why are we so constantly hamstrung by it?

Yes I know many of the 20 have vastly bigger incomes, but then you've got **** West Ham and Newcastle there 🥴

11 minutes ago, burchy said:

If Chelsea want Duran, why don’t we do a straight loan swap for Ugochukwu as he’d be decent Kamara cover. 

No chance do I want to help Chelsea out.  They need a striker and so he would play but Ugochukwu would just sit on our bench.  Unless it’s of serious benefit to us ie player, then I don’t want to help them out.

Unai himself said he’s happy with the squad.

The January flops that Villa have brought in alone just to do “something” is innumerable and damaging compared to Moreno and Duran last window. 

Coutinho, Chambers, Olsen, Sanson, Samatta, Borja, Drinkwater. That’s just in the last few years!

Who could also forget the Grant Holt, Yacouba Sylla, Simon Dawkins 😂, Michael Bradley, J2M.

Probably the only successful window was when we brought in Mings but that was a whole revamping of the back line for Deano. 

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Unai himself said he’s happy with the squad.

The January flops that Villa have brought in alone just to do “something” is innumerable and damaging compared to Moreno and Duran last window. 

Coutinho, Chambers, Olsen, Sanson, Samatta, Borja, Drinkwater. That’s just in the last few years!

Who could also forget the Grant Holt, Yacouba Sylla, Simon Dawkins 😂, Michael Bradley, J2M.

Probably the only successful window was when we brought in Mings but that was a whole revamping of the back line for Deano. 

John Carew and Ashley Young January 2007 

• Like 1