January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

56 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Where is this quote from as he doesn't say the 2nd part in his press conference on AVFC TV

He said if they leave then in that situation we can add one or two players

BBC site from his presser 

7 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

BBC site from his presser 

This is what he actually said

"Some players can leave, for example two players, Bertrand Traore and Calum Chambers and in case that situation happens we can think to add one or two players in the squad. The players we have now, we want to help and support right now."

Unai Emery reveals two players who can leave Aston Villa in January as transfer plan explained - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Seems odd to mention Traore and Chambers by name unless something was close to happening. Maybe reading too much into it but not great for them to be specifically name checked (or advertised!) by a manager in a press conference if there is no clubs currently in for them. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

TBF to Chambers he's been providing nothing but cover long enough, he could go into selling tarps, waterproofs and even become a roofer. It's not all bad. 

Feel sorry for Chambers.

I think he's easily good enough for a mid to lower PL team or a top Championship team.

He does get slagging when he comes in but shouldn't really be judged on long interval sporadic showings.

He's had a few excellent performances since he's been here, but just isn't up to the standard we are now at imo.

• Like 1

Assuming Chambers and Troare will be off and we might get some in to replace. He’s not going to give a lot away in these press conferences either. But curious all the same - assuming deals are close or they’ve been told they can leave or requested such. 

2 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

Surely Kalvin Phillips on loan would be a sensible move

Have stated this when the window opened. Not getting game time at City and wants to make the Euro squad in the summer.

So Villa would be getting a very good hungry player in a position which currently has a massive drop in quality when Kamara is missing.

I’d also suggest, when up to speed, he would indeed challenge Kamara as first choice DM and would get plenty of game time with Villa.

• Like 1

We're not signing Phillips, he's not good enough to get in our team ahead of Kamara or Luiz, and he's not going to leave Man City bench, just to sit on the bench of another team, he will want to go somwhere where he gets a guarantee of first team football.

Also we won't be signing a midfielder at all unless Dendoncker leaves, Emery said today no players coming in without one going out.

And the sale of Chambers and Traore if they happen, won't lead to first team players for this season, so it's not like letting even one of them go will allow us to bring in a big name for the squad, Emery said their replacements if they happen won't be relevant yet, as I said, by which I think he means young project players.

CC and BT were on the outer limits of the squad, so don't need replacing with players that are going to come straight into the team, or even be second choice, so younger options are the logical replacements for them, I guess similar profile to Duran as he was when we first signed him

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Have stated this when the window opened. Not getting game time at City and wants to make the Euro squad in the summer.

So Villa would be getting a very good hungry player in a position which currently has a massive drop in quality when Kamara is missing.

I’d also suggest, when up to speed, he would indeed challenge Kamara as first choice DM and would get plenty of game time with Villa.

Up to speed would require compensating his form for the past two years, where he has played little or nothing at all. Even more, it would require for him to have a fire to WANT to regain that form. I've seen the few games he played at City and he sucked in 100% of them, and the last thing it seemed is that he was hungry to challenge any of his companion's positions.

So, even if he were to seriously reduce his pretended wages (I doubt that), I'd rather Villa avoided him. Also, I doubt he'd be able to challenge Kamara at all: City is worse whenever he plays, Villa is worse whenever Kamara doesn't play.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, useless said:

We're not signing Phillips, he's not good enough to get in our team ahead of Kamara or Luiz, and he's not going to leave Man City bench, just to sit on the bench of another team, he will want to go somwhere where he gets a guarantee of first team football.

We might be interested if Luiz was sold (for an insane sum). Dont think that would be January business though. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I would be totally gutted if we sold Luiz for £100m and brought Phillips for £50m as an example.  Even selling Luiz for £120m and buying Phillips for £40m would still be gutting.  

So would I! 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I would be totally gutted if we sold Luiz for £100m and brought Phillips for £50m as an example.  Even selling Luiz for £120m and buying Phillips for £40m would still be gutting.  

sell Luiz for 100/120m, and let Emery buy a sexy spanish DM/MC for 20-50m.

Out of all of our current 1st eleven Luiz and Kamara IMHO are unsellable, FFP or not. They are what makes us tick. 

We should be getter cover in for both them, not thinking of selling them, which I don’t think the club are going to do, it’s just with all this talk of FFP restraints, they might be tempted.

We don't have to spend a fortune to improve the team though, there are bargains to be had, even in January. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

sell Luiz for 100/120m, and let Emery buy a sexy spanish DM/MC for 20-50m.

I understand the ffp/financial accounting benefits but Luiz is such a cog for us it would be hard to take to lose him.  I trust Emery, I just hate the ffp rules that are unfair to non-traditional top six clubs and impact teams like us and Newcastle who are beating some of that top 6 but are being thwarted by these rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

Out of all of our current 1st eleven Luiz and Kamara IMHO are unsellable, FFP or not. They are what makes us tick. 

We should be getter cover in for both them, not thinking of selling them, which I don’t think the club are going to do, it’s just with all this talk of FFP restraints, they might be tempted.

We don't have to spend a fortune to improve the team though, there are bargains to be had, even in January. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Feel sorry for Chambers.

I think he's easily good enough for a mid to lower PL team or a top Championship team.

He does get slagging when he comes in but shouldn't really be judged on long interval sporadic showings.

He's had a few excellent performances since he's been here, but just isn't up to the standard we are now at imo.

I honestly don't think he's anywhere near mid prem standard, especially with the lack of game time.

For example, if he'd started against Boro I would have been nervous.

Think a promotion chasing championship team might be a good next step if he can find one.

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Absolutely don't want this to happen but realistically who's got £120 million to spend without breaking FFP?

• Like 1