January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If the rumour about Ngonge is correct it's baffling. Why are we obsessed with signing left footed right wingers. He'd be the 4th and McGinn is often who we play in RM anyway. 

We need actual right footed players like Nico Williams. Width comes from wide players playing on their side. 

Yeah really can't see why we'd be interested, he's decent, he's not a cut above what we have though already and we have enough left footed right wingers...

Unless Emery is planning on using a left footed right winger at RB ;)

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah really can't see why we'd be interested, he's decent, he's not a cut above what we have though already and we have enough left footed right wingers...

Unless Emery is planning on using a left footed right winger at RB ;)

For the same reasons - I struggle to see this happening. Lowest on our list is yet another left footed right winger. We've got about 4/5 players that already play there and only 1 RB!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Not been in here much lately, so don't know if you lot have trashed the Ngonge link yet. Any informed opinion on him, irrespective of whether he signs or not?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MaVilla said:

maybe he had an infected toe from kicking Emery's office desk in anger.

Or maybe Emery did a Ferguson and threw a boot at him, but instead of the Beckham eyebrow cut, Duran got hit on the foot and got an infected toe.

sounds reasonable.

I think its more likely he was ear wigging ,outside Unai's office window, and trod on some broken glass, in his flip flops....trying to find out if UE is signing a striker.

I made that up....did you? 

ps sorry for the satire.

• Haha 1

I really would love us to sign lutsharel Geertruida from Feyenoord. Good height, age and can play CB,RB,DM. Contract expires next summer too. Maybe too expensive for January with Feyenoord top of the league but hopefully one for summer. 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Like this is just your bs "everyone else is fixing the game. They're all cheating and it's always the way. Boo hoo boo hoo."

Just because you don't understand how the rules work doesn't mean your ignorance is anywhere near the reality.

The reality is other teams worked under the old rules and now UEFA are tightening them every year. All teams have FFP struggles.

Arsenal had to loan Raya they were at their absolute limit for example for example. 

I bow to your unquestionable knowledge of FFP then, but please allow those of us that may be perceived as "ignorant" by comparison, to have an opinion and to give it. Some of those opinions might be "bs" as you so succinctly put it, but clubs have been charged/found guilty of cheating in the past, so it is not unreasonable to suggest they, along with others may be doing so again, whatever rules are in place. That could also be said to be the reality for example... ;)  

41 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If the rumour about Ngonge is correct it's baffling. Why are we obsessed with signing left footed right wingers. He'd be the 4th and McGinn is often who we play in RM anyway. 

We need actual right footed players like Nico Williams. Width comes from wide players playing on their side. 

Maybe potentially they think he can play striker? and challenge Watkins/Duran/Diaby
Or just a BS link.

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Maybe potentially they think he can play striker? and challenge Watkins/Duran/Diaby
Or just a BS link.

Yeah that's the only asset i saw which had credence, ability to play striker and second striker.

If Duran really is moving on it may be a backup move.

40 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

For the same reasons - I struggle to see this happening. Lowest on our list is yet another left footed right winger. We've got about 4/5 players that already play there and only 1 RB!

Yeah agreed, I don't quite see how it makes sense. Also, the idea we have had a fee agreed at £10m but we're happy to twiddle our ****s whilst he waits for Fiorentina to bid instead doesn't quite sound like how we work.

That said, only way I could see it making sense is if we maybe wanted to bring in somebody on loan and so we had to give up Zaniolo - and Ngonge was Zaniolo's replacement?

For example:

Dendoncker out, Ngonge in (fee's offset)

Zaniolo out, Ceballos in (loans offset)

Still don't see it, particularly as Lenglet is the loan we've talked about potentially being cut. But that's one way I could see it making sense and not adding to our Left footed AM's. Traore barely counts there either considering he won't play for us again most likely.

Edited by HalfTimePost

51 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I would be happy with this signing.

Wonder what happened to Gnonto? 20 games 1 goal 1 assist. He was the more hyped wasn't he? 

He wanted out in the summer and was brought back into their team only recently. It is reported that he may leave for Everton, Lazio, Inter or Fiorentina during this window for under £10m. 

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Welcome back Cam then. Nailed on to go down! 

Looks likely.  I wonder would we keep him, or try a similar deal again with another bottom half club?  Just wonder how it would affect the summer transfer budget if we're obligated to pay it.

Edited by duke313

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nice one, Cyril....Nice one son, Nice one Cyril, lets have another one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

The plus side is his stock will have risen massively this first half of the season.  If we are looking to sell, we should have no shortage of suitors.

He's 30, will be 31 at the start of next season. How many people are spending more than notional fees on full backs in their 30s?

I'm sure someone would be willing to take him off our hands for a low enough price, but he's also not going to want to take a massive wage cut one presumes. 

Basically I think it's Saudi or nothing with Digne.