January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

19 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Disagree, the smoke came about because he didn't make the bench for a couple of games, it just turned out he had an infected toe. 

Not sure I agree. I think there is something off about the whole Duran thing. You could be right, of course. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

No because we need players of a similar level and competition. E.g. look how Bailey has improved since Diaby came in.

If we keep signing average or mediocre players, the drop off continues to be severe. E.g. Kamara to Dendoncker.

Our squad isn’t “great” unless everyone is fit, our strongest or preferred first 11 is (but can still be improved).

But the debate was over signing bargain players to fill positions - something I don’t think is worthwhile or necessary.

Again, quality not quantity. We don’t need to fill positions, we need enhancements or genuine competition.

Got it - and yeah agree 100%

I don't think we'll sign clear enhancements for any position in January, but your  "genuine competition" is a good standard to aim for, getting two in to compete with Cash and Kamara would be amazing.

Obviously CF is another area where the drop is clear, but Duran is growing into the role. I'd be open to a loan for someone like Werner though.

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Milan arent paying anything what we paid for him to be a 3rd choice striker

Likely a loan with option to buy, or mandatory transfer if certain conditions are met, bit like Zaniolo deal. 

24 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

What's Éver Banega up to these days? Did well for Emery at Sevilla, would know the system etc.

In Saudi the last 3 years. I think we be fine without him

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Likely a loan with option to buy, or mandatory transfer if certain conditions are met, bit like Zaniolo deal. 

Smells like paper-talk BS to me tbh.

11 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Got it - and yeah agree 100%

I don't think we'll sign clear enhancements for any position in January, but your  "genuine competition" is a good standard to aim for, getting two in to compete with Cash and Kamara would be amazing.

Obviously CF is another area where the drop is clear, but Duran is growing into the role. I'd be open to a loan for someone like Werner though.

I think it’s at least possible to get a “proper RB” in, can’t say whether or if we will. I’m relaxed in the sense that we’re only going to sign players that Unai actually wants… the rest is just speculation and a bit of fun for us fans…

When Unai brought Moreno in, it was to address a “deficiency” in terms of needing a specific kind of player to actually improve the team and make us better - that’s exactly what happened. A player more suited to the style Unai wanted to implement…

He was a major upgrade on Digne at that particular time (who has adapted well since) and made us a much better team while linking up with an in form Ramsey at the time.

It’s so impressive how Unai has dealt with the absences and injuries (most, especially ex Villa, managers would have let this bring us down and derail our season and continually complained) and how we’ve overcome them and had such a remarkable season and standing so far… probably by making small tweaks to the side. Just imagine if everyone was/stayed fit!! 😮 

Since then, Digne has improved and performed admirably in Moreno’s absence but now the roles are reversed… Digne is out and Moreno will have to step up again…

The competition has improved the players and is needed throughout the side really, rather than signing poorer players… once again, we are not short on numbers but the quality can definitely be improved. No point in bringing anyone in just to fill a quota or space. Shouldn’t be many players in our side who can afford to be too relaxed/complacent and guaranteed of their place regardless of form & fitness… most need to be challenged…

Bailey had been with us for a while, we brought Diaby in who made an instant impact but tailed off. Bailey has stepped up to the plate and been our most effective attacker alongside Watkins.

We need players that can push each other and ensure that we have players performing at or somewhere near their peak levels…

that is, if we genuinely want to consistently compete at the higher levels of the game… rather than accept mediocrity…

Unai is on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

The original article is a bit vague, but this sounds like a permanent transfer to me, rather than a loan.  Or it could be bollocks.  

It’s usually the latter…

42 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

What's Éver Banega up to these days? Did well for Emery at Sevilla, would know the system etc.

Why would we sign a 35 year old midfielder playing in a shite league, winding down his career?

Simply no need and would be of no use to us.

We don’t need mediocre or average signings anymore…

Such a waste of finances and burden on our wage budget… surely we’ve tried to make room for more worthy and worthwhile options…

Must look for the best possible players that we can convince/attract and those that fit in as seamlessly as possible…

We don’t need signings or more players unless they actually improve us…

it would be better not to sign anyone if we were looking in that kind of market…

Standards must keep rising, not dropping…

it’s what Unai has done…

Edited by Jas10

Scenes when the Duran deal is in a swap for Rafael Leao 💀

*** Yes, I know there's as much chance of this happening as swapping Dendonker for Jude Bellingham

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

*** Yes, I know there's as much chance of this happening as swapping Dendonker for Jude Bellingham

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again, the vast majority of “fat” has been trimmed off this squad (but we’ll still have to come to permanent solutions for those out on loan like Sanson and Coutinho) and we hear that Unai likes to work with a high quality, close knit squad or “family”…

like he says, he is “very demanding”. If the players can’t meet those demands or standards, they’ll be sent on their way and replaced with better - exactly what McGinn stated in a recent interview.

All of the players that we’ve offloaded… we won’t look for anyone comparable, they’ll have to be much better and more suitable.

With a tight squad and our lofty ambitions, the quality will need to go higher and higher to achieve those goals.

We’ve made moves to manage our finances and withstand the force and limitations of FFP… we won’t be wasting funds on anyone who isn’t really up to standard.

I expect future signings to be or prove to be exceptional…

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hey Donk,

Don't let us down

Take a sad donk

And make it Dendonker

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

iT's DeCeMbEr ThE sEcOnD. 

WE'RE ARE THE SIGNINGS? 

Calm down!!!!!

It's traditional to wait until the 3rd before we freak out and lose our minds.

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure I agree. I think there is something off about the whole Duran thing. You could be right, of course. 

His infected toe.