January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Guendouzi would be a great squad addition, as would Dani Ceballos. Agree on Werner too. How many loans can we get?

We can't loan anybody, Zaniolo & Lenglet use up our loan slots. We'll have to send one back to take another Loan

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

I expect we only sign 1, maybe 2 players. My Priority order being RB, DM, LW, GK. 

I raise you to 2-3 and would go RB, DM, Striker. 

• Like 1

I think improvement on what we’ve got is the reserve of the Summer window, along with a reserve keeper.

sitting second, level on points with Liverpool is great advertising for January.  Champions League will open doors and increase our financial clout in the summer so keep the powder dry.

Zaniolo needs to display his value, but could be a solid signing,I hope we can sort a deal for Lenglet too,  but RB, Keeper, midfield and Forwards all need strengthening with good quality if we are to kick on.

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We can't loan anybody, Zaniolo & Lenglet use up our loan slots. We'll have to send one back to take another Loan

I thought it was two from the premier league but overseas loans were on top of this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

100%, but I think recent games and a look at our options on the bench have suggested, we could use 2 or 3 quality players to add to the current squad to keep us challenging at the top, and in Europe during the second half of the season.   

Should have a fully fit Torres, Digne, Kamara and Tielemans coming back this month. Tielemans had to wait 3 months for his first Premier League start. I think Lenglet has had to wait 4 months for his first Premier League start. Quality players won’t come to Villa to sit on the bench in January unfortunately. We’ve got 1 game a week roughly till March so there isn’t as much game time available over the next few months like there has been since the start of the season.

Sure FFP will play its part also, sure the club won’t want to put themselves in a position which restricts spending in the summer where the club will most likely be a very attractive place for players to come! Already got Zaniolo/Lenglet on loan so unless one is surprisingly cancelled can’t have any more loan signings. 

Guess if the club can sell Chambers/Traore this month maybe buy a young player whose happy to bide his time (like Duran last January) but I just don’t see it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I thought it was two from the premier league but overseas loans were on top of this?

Can only register 2 at a time. 

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Maximum 2 at one time. 4 over the season. Google PL loan rules. Overseas vs PL is irrelevant

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Maximum 2 at one time. 4 over the season. Google PL loan rules. Overseas vs PL is irrelevant

Forest will be in for a punishment for breaking loan rules then, right?

Screenshot_20240101-105553~2.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No it’s not.

You can have more than 2 players at a time, just not more than 2 from another PL club.

You can have 4 max over the season, technically you can have four at a time.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Guendouzi would be a great squad addition, as would Dani Ceballos. Agree on Werner too. How many loans can we get?

Guendouzi is already out on loan

19 hours ago, striker said:

How do you know this? If you have a connection to the higher echelons of the club then please tell us.

I’m not talking about poaching players from a top four side although Villa did bring in Martinez.

I’m saying Villa should, could, approach a habitual bottom half Premiership team and inquire about their two best players.

If you want to bring quality to the club then, as you put it, Villa will have to pay ridiculous money to do exactly that especially when Villa have very wealthy owners!

We might have wealthy owners, but they do not want to spend that hard earned wealth on chasing rainbows.....The inititial view, that Newcastle, was going to blitz everyone, that has fell flat ish.

Clubs have to be seen to be acting responsible as much as possible, No financier wants to waste money.

I still see an approach from Villa, that screams........Value for money as the precursor.

We also have a precious team spirit to protect, so no big ego's will be welcome imo.....Unai had them at Arsenal, and it undermined his tenure.

1 hour ago, bose said:

No it’s not.

You can have more than 2 players at a time, just not more than 2 from another PL club.

You can have 4 max over the season, technically you can have four at a time.

From the official Premier League website:-

They are:
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

So I’d interpret that as you can only have 2 registered at any time, can have a max 4 during the season but an example of that would be signing 2 players on loan in the summer, cancelling them in January and signing two more on in January? Can’t have 4 loans registered at the same time. 

I guess Villa could sign somebody on loan in January but then would have to de-register either Zaniolo or Lenglet but pay his wages for the rest of the season if the parent club wouldn’t want them back? Quite frankly wouldn’t ever happen. 

Think some people might be getting the Premier League and EFL loan rules mixed up. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RichW said:

From the official Premier League website:-

They are:
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

So I’d interpret that as you can only have 2 registered at any time, can have a max 4 during the season but an example of that would be signing 2 players on loan in the summer, cancelling them in January and signing two more on in January? Can’t have 4 loans registered at the same time. 

I guess Villa could sign somebody on loan in January but then would have to de-register either Zaniolo or Lenglet but pay his wages for the rest of the season if the parent club wouldn’t want them back? Quite frankly wouldn’t ever happen. 

Think some people might be getting the Premier League and EFL loan rules mixed up. 

You missed this bit at the start of the page:

Loans between Premier League clubs and other English counterparts are officially called temporary transfers.

Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2022/23 (Download PDF, size: 16MB), there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs

Under FIFA  rules there is a limit of 7 players loaned in. We have 2 loaned player from non-English clubs, meaning we can loan 5 more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

You missed this bit at the start of the page:

Loans between Premier League clubs and other English counterparts are officially called temporary transfers.

Under the rules in the Premier League Handbook 2022/23 (Download PDF, size: 16MB), there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs

Under FIFA  rules there is a limit of 7 players loaned in. We have 2 loaned player from non-English clubs, meaning we can loan 5 more.

I saw the post about Forest above and thought I must have interpreted it wrong if they have 4. Wonder why the Premier League call them “temporary transfers” and not loans then? 

2 hours ago, RichW said:

Should have a fully fit Torres, Digne, Kamara and Tielemans coming back this month. Tielemans had to wait 3 months for his first Premier League start. I think Lenglet has had to wait 4 months for his first Premier League start. Quality players won’t come to Villa to sit on the bench in January unfortunately. We’ve got 1 game a week roughly till March so there isn’t as much game time available over the next few months like there has been since the start of the season.

Sure FFP will play its part also, sure the club won’t want to put themselves in a position which restricts spending in the summer where the club will most likely be a very attractive place for players to come! Already got Zaniolo/Lenglet on loan so unless one is surprisingly cancelled can’t have any more loan signings. 

Guess if the club can sell Chambers/Traore this month maybe buy a young player whose happy to bide his time (like Duran last January) but I just don’t see it. 

I understand your points, although I think Digne may be match fit by the end of the month or possibly at the start of the next.

I just think that if there is a deal to be done and it's one that UE wants done, we really need to back him now. We hope that we are in a similar situation this time next season, but there is no guarantee. Quality players will want to join us now and they will back themselves to get games like Tilemans did. If they don't want to come now they probably never will, so we will at least not need to waste time looking at them in the next window, when hopefully CL qualification will have boosted our permissible FFP spending.  We might also have up to 6 FA Cup ties and 7 Europa Conference League games to field teams in alongside our PL fixtures. So, I think a couple of additions would help us during the run-in. 

• Like 1