January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

you must be in a good mood!

I was torn. Look, I’d move him, Traore, Zaniolo and Coutinho out in Jan/Summer and start again in that position. It’s fantastic to see Bailey playing so well lately because it’s helped us with Diabys drop off in form. 

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Just get in a decent RB and assess in the summer.

My thinking as well, if we only do one thing, say sod it and go in for a top Right Back in January.

I feel like this enhances us massively. We can survive in other areas for now I think, and as you note, smarter thing would be to wait till summer to spend bigger bucks.

• Like 1

We’re in a fantastic position, we really should be willing to invest this month if we can bring in the required quality. If the only options are squad fillers then leave it.

My choices would be:

1. Right back: Frimpong 

2. Winger: Pedro Neto

3. Holding midfielder: Vermeeren 

Sell Dendoncker, Chambers and potentially Traore and send Zaniolo back if he isn’t going to be used. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We’re in a fantastic position, we really should be willing to invest this month if we can bring in the required quality. If the only options are squad fillers then leave it.

My choices would be:

Sell Dendoncker, Chambers and potentially Traore and send Zaniolo back if he isn’t going to be used. 

Neto would be a very risky signing and very expensive. Just permanently injured (fantastic player mind).

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Neto would be a very risky signing and very expensive. Just permanently injured (fantastic player mind).

He’s had his fair share of injuries I’ll give you that. Both Neto and Frimpong would probably cost £50m each at least and are probably extremely difficult deals to make in January, but would really turn us into serious contenders IMO. 

16 hours ago, macandally said:

I get the analogies back to 81 and 82, but the game has changed so much that you cannot have one trick ponies anymore, you need the full spread of attributes to play in the Premier League, look at McGinn/Luiz, both have had to evolve and they are not in isolation.

I agree to some degree, but disagree with your point that modern players need to do everything( ideally yes)....If they are Jude Bellingham maybe, the game had Duncan Edwards years back, who equally could do everything....Its very difficult to get players who can do everything, thats why balance is so critical to winning teams....as an eg. what one player is short of, another makes up for, thats what creating a balanced team does.....we are very close.

I get that the game has changed,it's always a chesnut,  but the game hasn't changed enough to not need, players whose job it is, primarliy to negate the opposition.

Spurs, just as one random example, have Skipp, Hojbjerg, Bentancur and Bissouma.....they clearly value the work of that kind of player. I accept that a CDM today has to have more in his locker, than just stopping the opposition.....but there are modern day versions of these players.

The game does evolve, mainly in trends.....as an example we go from big centre forwards , to smaller deep lying centre forwards and back again....The top clubs, know they will be copied, so they change to shake the wanna be's off the trail...Pep has done it with Dzeko, then Aguero/Jesus and back to Haaland.

In 80/81/82 we wasn't the most technical side of the day, but we knew how to wins matches, we had some technical players like Cowans and Shaw, but mainly it was workrate...our Mantra was 110% workrate and it took us a long way...it sometimes gets underrated.

Ipswich was the technical darlings, in those days and they beat us 3 times that season we won the league....but they didn't win the league, we did.

urgency, intensity, and workrate, gets under valued in my view...and it doesn't matter what era of football you chose to study....it's always required in the c150 odd years of the game.

Talent, guile and Tech ability is grand, and essential, but on its own, will only take any team, so far....other ingredients need to accompany it.

I fancy, that Unai will enter the market, and the big money signing won't be his target....I think we may see some players come in that many might be underwhelmed by.....just my hunch.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Dunno, he could do a job as the deeper one of a front two I reckon. That said, that would still require Watkins so not really a replacement/rotation option.

Exactly we have Diaby, Bailey, zaniolo and McGinn who can do that 

28 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

He’s had his fair share of injuries I’ll give you that. Both Neto and Frimpong would probably cost £50m each at least and are probably extremely difficult deals to make in January, but would really turn us into serious contenders IMO. 

Frimpong is 37m

neto will be more than 50

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Frimpong is 37m

neto will be more than 50

I’d pay the £37m for Frimpong even if that was the only signing we made.

Would probably mean moving more to a 3-4-3 though with Kamara dropping into a back 3 with Konsa and Pau and Frimpong and Moreno/Digne playing as wide midfielders when we have the ball. 

Not too dissimilar to how Emery has set up away from home with Cash anyway, but with Frimpong a big upgrade on Cash particularly going forward.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

The great thing about Monchi/ Unai is they will pick players that work in the system. Not necessarily players we know. 

If they can find another Moreno type for right back we will be very happy.

Have you factored in the possibility,  that the system, might be tweaked or change slightly.....That it is, what it is, for the players we have available to us.

New players, might create a rethink, not majorly, just a nuance of what we have.

Top teams do morph, if they think they are being sussed out....just a thought.

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

My choices would be:

Although I think Neto is a good player he seems to get injured a fair bit.

Also, Wolves would hate to sell him to us so the price might be well overflated.

• Like 1