January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

A versatile right footed winger/forward is what we need to give us some options on the left (ideally with some pace) and can adequately cover for Watkins too.

Diaby can cover for Ollie but probably shouldn’t. At a push Zaniolo would be worth a try as he a bit of a beast.

29 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Surely we are after a RB? 

It's the biggest area in the squad that is a concern, Konsa is better at CB and Cash is erratic to say the least. 

I really hope so, it’s the most “glaring area” in which we can improve and truly enhance our team and style…

We can be much more effective, going forwards at least, if we bring in a better or more suitable player there.

Beyond that, I’d really love genuine competition or quality cover for Kamara at DM.

Anything after that would be a welcome bonus imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

A versatile right footed winger/forward is what we need to give us some options on the left (ideally with some pace) and can adequately cover for Watkins too.

Diaby can cover for Ollie but probably shouldn’t. At a push Zaniolo would be worth a try as he a bit of a beast.

I think we need to stop sticking Zaniolo on the wing, let Bailey and Diaby (needs to be more positive) battle it out for that position and put Nico in support of Ollie and, yes, I think he’s capable of covering for him too at CF… maybe even moreso than Duran (who I also like)…

There’s Ramsey too but I think it’s best to ease him into form and playing time… once he gets sharp he’s going to be a major asset again… linking up with Moreno too…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

Semenyo fits that bill 

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t see us signing a CF, whether that’s young cover/competition or a veteran backup… Ollie is the main man and I think Unai believes we have sufficient cover or options…

About as clear as Unai can make it. 

RB the only realistic option in Jan. Maybe a CM too. Depends how much business can get done getting rid of a few. 

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

About as clear as Unai can make it. 

RB the only realistic option in Jan. Maybe a CM too. Depends how much business can get done getting rid of a few. 

Yep, only so much we can do but the right tweaks could make us even better and bring more consistency (as well as suffering less when key players are unavailable)…

We need to bring out the best in the players we have too… e.g. invested a lot in Diaby and need to get him into form, for example.

I’d really like to see us focus on playing Zaniolo more centrally rather than sticking him out on the wing, I think it’s the way to get the best out of him and he can be a genuine and consistent goal threat for us. That goal against Sheff Utd was important and a demonstration of what he can offer…

He’s more suited to supporting Ollie than the likes of Bailey and Diaby (wingers) imo…

Moreno is back (but the Digne injury is unfortunate) and JJ should hopefully hit form soon…

Looking forward to having Buendia back…

Kamara will be available again in the new year and that will already make us a lot better…

Just got to keep going and do as well as we can… long season.

9 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

RB and CM were always the priorities for this window and  Unai’s comments give me confidence that we’ll go into February stronger. Hopefully we land the two players that Unai wants. 

DM not CM… we have enough CMs but only one quality DM in Kamara…

Luiz, McGinn, Tielemans… maybe even Iroegbunam (if he sticks around) and JJ… can all play and cover CM.

The drop from Kamara to Dendoncker is too severe… all of our players need to be excellent in possession and in the pass with energy and agility too… Leander just doesn’t fit the bill.

Cash works hard and gets stuck in, helps us out defensively and stick to his task, but is too limited and inconsistent going forwards… our attacks break down because of him and his hesistance… maybe it’s a lack of confidence but he’s also had long enough to show his worth in that sense… maybe a bit of competition would progress him…

Edited by Jas10

Just a rumour that has resurfaced… but, if Chelsea  want Cash and offer a decent fee… should we sell and sign 1 top class RB (with Konsa to continue covering), or 2 RBs (Konsa sticking to CB and first choice with Pau) or would him leaving destabilise us too much?

I think it’s best for him to have competition rather than leaving ourselves short and in a rush/panic to bring players in personally… but, a big fee would really help us out and allow us more “wiggle room” in the market…

• Like 1

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

I agree Jas. Suspect they are looking for a 6 who can also play 8. 

👍

Here’s hoping… I really hope we can add at least 1 or 2 and give us a real boost for the rest of the season… don’t get complacent and don’t rest on any laurels. Competition breeds success as they say… and we don’t want any key players “burning out” or being too heavily relied on and exhausted…

Can’t really recall the last time we were signing players while doing well though 😆 it has usually been a mad dash or panic to bring in anyone (often dross/crap) to try and help us when we’ve been struggling! 

Ah… we really have to enjoy these times… bask in the glory of the Unai era!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just a rumour that has resurfaced… but, if Chelsea  want Cash and offer a decent fee… should we sell and sign 1 top class RB (with Konsa to continue covering), or 2 RBs (Konsa sticking to CB and first choice with Pau) or would him leaving destabilise us too much?

I think it’s best for him to have competition rather than leaving ourselves short and in a rush/panic to bring players in personally… but, a big fee would really help us out and allow us more “wiggle room” in the market…

We would have to sell him if the offer was good enough. That’s the game. Get a sucker to buy a player at a premium when his stock is highest but his value to the team is diminishing and then replace with better. Or in a perfect world have the replacement already in the squad first. 

52 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can’t see us signing a CF, whether that’s young cover/competition or a veteran backup… Ollie is the main man and I think Unai believes we have sufficient cover or options…

Whilst I agree it’s unlikely that we will sign a forward, I wouldn’t put too much credence in those quotes. If we are looking at someone, Emery is hardly likely to say so.

16 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We would have to sell him if the offer was good enough. That’s the game. Get a sucker to buy a player at a premium when his stock is highest but his value to the team is diminishing and then replace with better. Or in a perfect world have the replacement already in the squad first. 

As long as the replacement is lined up… I’d be onboard.

But… I wouldn’t want to take the risk of being unable to bring in a replacement and leaving ourselves short.

He’s the only real RB we have too…

Agree with your general point though, it’s how we improve.

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst I agree it’s unlikely that we will sign a forward, I wouldn’t put too much credence in those quotes. If we are looking at someone, Emery is hardly likely to say so.

True… but I do get the impression that Unai is satisfied with his options up there and that there are greater priorities, for now…

• Like 1

Unai is fairly straight up with the press and his comments there are very clear. It also represents a huge gamble that if Ollie stays fit a much better quality of forward becomes available if we do qualify for champions league. We could then attract a genuine world class striker that really could challenge Ollie for his spot. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

He's right too 

Who is this striker? There's hardly anyone out there available and there's also a lot of PL teams shopping for one, spurs, arsenal, utd, Chelsea all need a proper number 9, there's an argument to be had that nunez isn't good enough too 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's right too 

Who is this striker? There's hardly anyone out there available and there's also a lot of PL teams shopping for one, 

That's the reality. There are not a lot of quality strikers out there and everyone wants one. 

• Like 2