January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What's this? Kiwi coming in to his favourite thread tell everyone we don't need a single player ever?

Tbf to kiwi, he’s right about the amount of bullshit and nonsense links which do get annoying and tiring.

But… his incessant “come downs” on mention of any potential signings or rumours can be comparable…

However… I find myself siding more with his view this time around but still want one or two signings of genuine quality.

I don’t want us to be signing any old players anyway… we have the numbers, we don’t have the class or quality depth.

We need top class quality, something approaching or actual “elite” players, imo n they tend to be more known or renowned names unless we bring in another Moreno type signing…

what I most have a problem with are these BS merchants and fake ITKs

Irritating… tiring… non stop.

That’s what I was referring to…

• Like 1

I don't think elite signings are on the cards in January personally 

I think we could land someone who still needs a little bit of developing but is good enough to push us over the line this season before hitting the ground running next season

Someone like a young Spanish RB from girona... 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think we could land someone who still needs a little bit of developing but is good enough to push us over the line this season before hitting the ground running next season

We have scored 40 goals to date, its massive improvement.

The creativity, is in the squad....We have some elite creative players....and they are the ones that cost the big money.

We need some help from players, who can stop opponents from gaining the initiative in games......We have seen Arsenal sign Rice, We see how crucial Rodri is to Man City, and how Spurs miss Bentancur.....these players create the platform from which the team ticks....central midfield.

Kamara has been a massive miss imo.....but to have one, in a squad of 25, is questionable to me....with injuries, suspensions, and form dips, we need more than just Kamara, to give us power, he is the engine room.

However, Unai deems fit to improve us....our goals against, needs some attention.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think very little reasoning behind going for  Paulinha. For the price tag, I don’t see it happening. 

maybe we can catch them earlier in their exposure, thats where the scouting team comes in.

Just now, TRO said:

The creativity, is in the squad....We have some elite creative players....and they are the ones that cost the big money.

We need some help from players, who can stop opponents from gaining the initiative in games......We have seen Arsenal sign Rice, We see how crucial Rodri is to Man City, and how Spurs miss Bentancur.....these players create the platform from which the team ticks....central midfield.

Kamara has been a massive miss imo.....but to have one, on a squad of 25, is questionable to me....with injuries, suspensions, and form dips, we need more than just Kamara, to give us power, he is the engine room.

However, Unai deems fit to improve us....our goals against, needs some attention.

But again if we do identify that position as one that needs strengthening I don't see us going out and getting a £60m elite international midfielder 

It's more likely that we'd spend £20m (probably more..) on say vermeeren or a gourna douath, someone who can play and help but won't be a key player 

The Gloukh link makes a lot of sense for me, that's your kind of signing you make in Jan 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But again if we do identify that position as one that needs strengthening I don't see us going out and getting a £60m elite international midfielder 

It's more likely that we'd spend £20m (probably more..) on say vermeeren or a gourna douath, someone who can play and help but won't be a key player 

The Gloukh link makes a lot of sense for me, that's your kind of signing you make in Jan 

I don't think we need one of that calibre.....I think your type of suggestion, in your second line,  is what we need.

How many, players have you identified, this season, who would not get in our team under normal circumstances, but we have struggled against them...I can think of plenty, in many teams.

Would you have ever believed, you could win the league, and the European cup, with Des Bremner, in the side......only because he has, but many would say no...That is no disrespect to Des, who I value highly, but he is not a technicall gifted player, is my point.

We have oodles of piano players, we need a few piano carriers to help us through some of the agricultural games we are going to face.....that does not mean they play every week, or secure a first team spot.....but we need a bit of grit, to come in and help the talent/guile.

John McGinn, can't do it all on his own.

Edited by TRO

23 hours ago, eholm said:

Yep, agree on YT. I’m just not sure we will do a great deal in Jan, principally due to FFP and so if we are able to recruit for an attacking position after getting a RB, I would prefer someone who could cover Ollie and also give us more creativity in the central no10 area to enable us to better negate the low block tactics that the majority of teams we play will now look to do. These players cost big money so doubt that will happen until the Summer…

Yeah FFP thats the only thing holding us back, well and probably sides like Newcastle too.

Yeah better cover for Ollie is key for us because we are solely reliant on him, but we will try and sign a hybrid player someone that can play there and on the left behind striker. 

Our priority i would assume is the RB position and would like that to be a similar profile of Alex Moreno.

Might do a buy and a loan deal for two players. I see at least two coming in and two going out. 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 16:18, RicRic said:

Stop mentioning last season ffs  look at the position we are in you think we got time to wait until he gets back to last seasons levels NO we need someone playing there who has momentum and full energy, never said hes a bad player hes a top player when operating at the levels he did last year… we cannot afford to drop out because we are waiting for him to hit full speed. 

We cannot buy another player everytime one gets injured or has a loss of form, this is not a video game 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

Kamara has been a massive miss imo.....but to have one, on a squad of 25, is questionable to me....with injuries, suspensions, and form dips, we need more than just Kamara, to give us power, he is the engine room.

But getting someone like that is nigh on impossible, even City struggle there when replacing Rodri (look at Phillips wasting away there).

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

But getting someone like that is nigh on impossible, even City struggle there when replacing Rodri (look at Phillips wasting away there).

Not buying that.

20 minutes ago, macandally said:

We cannot buy another player everytime one gets injured or has a loss of form, this is not a video game 

so, are you telling me one quality CDM in a squad of 25 is sufficient to launch an ambitious assault on the Premier league? and other competitions.

No one has suggested you buy a player, soley based on a 3 match ban or form dip.

The suggestion is based on an eye test, to witness how a young CDM facing an Arduous league campaign and a European cup campaign, and a possible domestic cup, might need some help in a position, that is extremely demanding.

CDM is one of the most crucial positions on a football field....and it requires a combative and robust approach, which attracts suspensions and injuries, not to mention form challenges.

To have one, is a squad weakness imo.

Edited by TRO

There are decent players out there that can and would come to little ole Villa. Vermeeren is being talked up no end and he has a low release clause, surely we must be looking at a player like this, even if there are others doing the same. We've got to be in it to win it so to speak.

Personally I want 4 players that can boss our midfield, we have 2 already but I'd like 2 more. Vermeeren would be a good understudy to Kamara and could be supported, if needed by a more utility player, such as a Geertruida for example.

I'd really like a Luiz Mk2 though, someone who can push him and slot in perfectly for when he needs a rest or has a suspension or drop in form. A van den Boomen, Veerman, Merino type of player.

Those and a RB would be my foundation, a left sided right footed attacker would be next on my list.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

This is why I have been banging on about signing a very good DM, the lad has an injury record and no one else on the squad comes even close to what he does for us. It’s similar to Ollie but Ollie is there to create and score and teams can score without a good striker in form. It can’t function if you can walk through the midfield 

• Like 1

I think it's hard to deny that whist our first eleven can beat most teams in the league. As soon as just a couple of players are unavailable we start to struggle and at the moment that will be the difference between us finishing in the top 4 and not.

The big teams in the top 6 often manage to make big signings in January when needed, so we have to think like they do, not saying we spank 100 mil on one player but a couple of signings shouldn't be out of reach.

We seem to buy proven big name talent these days mostly, whereas I hope we fish out a few bargains and develop some overseas talent, think i'd rather have potential than dead wood in the squad. Buying young players potential in January feels a lot easier than buying ready made solutions also. But having said that now we have the set up we do, getting some high quality players from the Spanish league seems more feasible now. Look at Moreno.

It's frustrating Tielemans was starting to become a key player before injury. Zaniolo has showed signs of life. But Ramsey needs to be benched and give time off the bench till he gets his confidence back as he offers nothing at the moment. But as many have covered 100s of times in this thread we need more cover for Watkins and at right back at the bare minimum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Pretty much this. Teams only sign players in January if desperate or the selling club is desperate

Good well run teams dont do this

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty much this. Teams only sign players in January if desperate or the selling club is desperate

A team that is exceeding expectations in terms of their league position, and with the potential to go deep in two cup competitions, might decide that reinforcing the squad with one or two quality additions in January is prudent risk management. 

The sign of a good, well run team.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2023 Jan transfers to name but a few

Spurs: Pedro Porro 
Arsenal: Trossard, Jorginho 
Wolves: Matheus Cunha
Forest: Danilo
Newcastle: Anthony Gordon
Liverpool: Cody Gakpo

All desperate poorly run clubs.

• Haha 1