January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

29 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m sorry but if Watkins was out for a duration would you want any of them (ours) to be the regular striker? No.  Would you be happy to play Gakpo? Without doubt.  For me anything else is being disingenuous.

What kind of striker will agree to come and be Ollie's backup? If we're determined to sort it in January, I think the answer is old heads and youngsters. One of which we already have (Duran) and one of which we sold last January (Ings).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I’m sorry but if Watkins was out for a duration would you want any of them (ours) to be the regular striker? No.  Would you be happy to play Gakpo? Without doubt.  For me anything else is being disingenuous.

If Watkins goes down, then it'll be 50mm plus to have someone anywhere near as good.

So, yes I'd be fine with it. Strikers in January is the premium of the premium pricing. Just don't see that's the kind of long-term-oriented move that we'd make.

You end up buying a Heskey-type on high wages at a reasonable price point.

• Thanks 1

An out and out striker for Watkins, no chance in January. 

A LW/LM that’s equally good up top would be a good option though and give us positional and personnel flexibility moving forward. 

Amine Gouiri would be my shout as his output on the left and as a striker are both equally as good. He scored 15 odd league goals last season or something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I wouldnt be happy playing Gakpo up front or Nketiah. I would also add in Nunez to that list

Gakpo is a better wideman and the other 2 are dreadful

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Even with the dozens of tactics videos about Emery set up how we don't use traditional wingers

Hmmm Bailey tends to offer a fair amount of width. He's the only player we really have that Emery likes out there, he never seems to utilise Diaby that way.

Another winger, of the inverted variety, wouldn't shock me. Very few top level teams use traditional wingers these days in any case, they're a very rare breed. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think we'd cope better without Watkins rather than Luiz for any extended period of time. 

If this is the criteria, I think losing Martinez would hurt worse than anyone else. Of course there are no like replacements out there willing to come on as Emi's backup, but there must be an upgrade from Olsen.

Oscar Glouk... from Salzburg .  But from Football Insider..so on one hand v excited as he is a real talent...on the other its not going to happen. Watched him play in the Euro u19s 2 summers ago when England won the final with carney aaron and tim. Very very exciting. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ultimately, I think essentially anything, or anyone, is on the table as long as Emery sees a need and they're available at a price point the club feel works in terms of the overall scope. That might mean nobody, it might mean another centre half.

Nobody thought a left back was a priority last January, but the right player became available at the right price. 

I actually think our biggest *need* lies in centre mid. Without either Kamara or Luiz we are vulnerable, and they play a position which is the most susceptible to fatigue. I think we'd cope better without Watkins rather than Luiz for any extended period of time. 

spacer.png

;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adman said:

Duran is Ollie's backup.  We're not signing anyone in that position imo

I'm quite sure Emery has worked on scenarios with several players if something were to happen to Watkins. He did say when Diaby signed he wanted him because he covers left and right side forward and striker. 

People don't think we're in title race compared to likes of Arsenal and multiple pundits have said after we beat them Arsenal need to go and sign a striker because Jesus and Nketiah don't cut it. Arsenal have used Trossard at striker and he's predominantly an attacking mid. 

The latest Athletic podcast on rise of Aston Villa they were talking about going and signing one of best wingers in German league in Diaby and not playing him as a winger, that we don't play wingers and overload the central space 

12 hours ago, TRO said:

We are not going to sign anyone, better than Ollie, in his current form 13 in 21,even if we are in for a striker....They are tucked up, at the other Big Clubs.

But it could be a prudent move to go for someone with strong potential, who has one eye on reaching the heights...and young enough to go for it.

We currently have an impressive record, at Polishing potential, and UE and his backroom team, have worked wonders on that.

Maybe someone, none of us has thought about, could come in and surprise us all .....remember David Platt.....Lightning can strike twice, when you have a conductor on the training ground....pardon the pun.

Someone who’s Hungry Like the Wolf, perhaps?

• Haha 1

Given the position we are in, and the fact we have Monchi identifying players, I’d be very surprised if at least a couple of quality players don’t come in January. 

There are definite holes in the squad, in particular:

1. Right back - need a first choice right back to come in as Cash not quite up to it and Konsa shouldn’t be playing there. Frimpong ideal but doubt that happens in January, Geertruida someone more likely and can cover centre back.

2. Defensive midfielder - basically a better backup than Dendoncker, whose passing is a big drop off from Kamara and he just isn’t mobile enough. Actually Kalvin Phillips wouldn’t be a bad shout but he’d be trading City’s bench for ours. Onana at Everton would be ideal but Everton would want ridiculous money. The issue is anyone we buy at the quality we need will want to play which isn’t guaranteed with Dougie and Kamara first choice. If we make Champions League we’ll need someone in the summer definitely.

3. Striker - I like Duran but feel he needs a loan and playing every week and we bring in a striker that is ready now, the only issue again is anyone we bring in at a certain level will want to start. Options could be Guirassy at Stuttgart who is having a hell of a season but could be a flash in the pan. I always liked Jonathan David but after a great season last season he’s been mediocre so far this season although Lille are not creating many chances. Could be one for the summer, again if we make Champions League.

In summer we might need to look at a left back given both of ours will be 31 next season (Kerkez at Bournemouth would be my choice) and maybe a left sided creative midfielder if we decide not to sign Zaniolo (Goncalves or Baena both been linked). I’m still hoping Zaniolo will come good though and Buendia will add more depth, and Ramsey is now fit. A backup keeper is also another one as I think we need to move Olsen on this summer. Think Traore, Chambers and Dendoncker will all be gone by next summer.

January might be hard to sign the quality we need but I think we need to sign a right back at the very minimum and hopefully a holding midfielder if we can move Dendoncker on. All other positions we can probably cope until summer 2024.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I wouldnt be happy playing Gakpo up front or Nketiah. I would also add in Nunez to that list

Gakpo is a better wideman and the other 2 are dreadful

You wouldn’t be happy with Gakpo or Nunez up front if Watkins was out…wow! I can’t disagree more.

• Like 2