January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Adam eating the apple.....The serpent wants you to click.

successfully resisting temptation is one of lifes most rewarding feats.

I have tried not going to the villa, when we are not playing well....but failed miserably.

Back on topic

Can we afford any new players, with the Everton saga, to consider?.....This could spook quite a few of us.

The Everton saga is important - together with issues involving Chelsea and Man City. But providing our finances are sound this could be a good time to close the gap on clubs above us. Providing being the operative word because we must not fall into the obvious trap …….. which brings us nicely back to ‘click or not to click’ that is the question.

Edited by PerryBarrPet
spelling
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd have Tammy back for 16m

We were reported to have been interested before his injury and I could see us going in for him, once he has proved his fitness. Whether he would be happy to join us again without being guaranteed a starting place is a bigger question, as would be Watkins reaction to real competition for his jersey again. I think they would also probably want treble that.  

1 hour ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Don’t just tell me that “clicking here will be (was) the best decision ……..” . Tell me what it actually is, why the need for a ‘click’ when you can just tell me straight? Or does each click produce for you a benefit - financial or otherwise? 

In digital marketing terms, yes, essentially.

Clicks mean engagement, engagement means traffic and traffic means advertising possibilities to make money. 

The best thing to do with anything like that, on FB or Twitter or whatever is to completely ignore it or block/hide the account. Any response, positive or negative, is engagement and there's no distinction as of yet. 

EDIT - I would also like to clarify that I am not Rick Astley and will not gain anything monetarily from you clicking that link.

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

I think aside from a RB the most important thing for us to improve further is an upgrade on Dendoncker. We need someone we can be comfortable playing next to Kamara or instead of him. Both coming off the bench to give our engine room more legs but also starting vs weaker opposition to buy some rest for the likes of Luiz and Kamara. 

Someone like Kepheren Thuram from Nice or Caquaret for Lyon would work nicely and they could step into the starting role if Luiz or Kamara move on. Thuram especially I think would be a great fit due to his height. Being 6'3 he'd help us against corners when we are leading and his ability to carry the ball is great as well. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

In digital marketing terms, yes, essentially.

Clicks mean engagement, engagement means traffic and traffic means advertising possibilities to make money. 

The best thing to do with anything like that, on FB or Twitter or whatever is to completely ignore it or block/hide the account. Any response, positive or negative, is engagement and there's no distinction as of yet. 

EDIT - I would also like to clarify that I am not Rick Astley and will not gain anything monetarily from you clicking that link.

No worries, there was never a chance I would click that link. I do understand the connection between traffic and possible reward which is precisely why I am very cautious over what I read and what I believe - particularly in internet chatter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryBarrPet said:

The Everton saga is important - together with issues involving Chelsea and Man City. But providing our finances are sound this could be a good time to close the gap on clubs above us. Providing being the operative word because we must not fall into the obvious trap …….. which brings us nicely back to ‘click or not to click’ that is the question.

I don’t think we’ve done good in that aspect at the beginning, but being conservative and progressing is the good part lately. Some went angry on selling our young players yet that gave me an idea about how our board are acting and knowing how to sell and when. 
I think we’re progressing financially (which a lot of teams are getting into bigger mess with regressing as a team). So I agree with you on the timing, but again we can’t gamble. We just have to continue our clever progress. 

Well ofcourse if January came and we’re first with a chance of winning the league, I won’t mind getting two upgrades that would help us, but with a view of benefiting out of them in the future. Otherwise clever loans can help us.

Sugawara is a pretty good shout thinking about it.

He's at AZ, 23 and nearly 100 games for them in the Dutch league. Starting regularly for Japan and played very well for them v Germany a couple of months ago.

He's clearly a top level player in the making and we saw v us he has a similar style to Cash. Think his contract is up in 2025 so you'd assume they'd be open to offers for around 15m in January.

Just think 20 years ago Japanese players were just seen as marketing tools and now they beat Spain and Germany in a world cup and no one really sees that as a massive shock anymore, great progress by them and with a decent draw I could see them making the SFs at next world cup like Morocco have just done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

We were reported to have been interested before his injury and I could see us going in for him, once he has proved his fitness. Whether he would be happy to join us again without being guaranteed a starting place is a bigger question, as would be Watkins reaction to real competition for his jersey again. I think they would also probably want treble that.  

Tammy would be no competition to Watkins. He would be struggling to get ahead of Duran on last seasons form

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Just think 20 years ago Japanese players were just seen as marketing tools and now they beat Spain and Germany in a world cup and no one really sees that as a massive shock anymore. 

The rise of the J League and the improvement of coaching in Japan's university system is really paying dividends now. Players who go through the uni system play at a pretty high level (equivalent to 2nd tier in Japan) week in week out and get a longer football (and more general) education than most young players. It seems to create smart, technical players at a good rate. 9 of their last world cup squad came through the academic system. 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 3

Assume the source is complete dog shit but still

Don't know much about him aside from the fact he's 6', 20 years old. 

Seems like he's a winger who can play at full back? 

Seems like he'd be a natural replacement for digne as a sort of like for like with moreno but a decade younger and taller?

Edited by MotoMkali

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would be more of a Bailey replacement.

Yeah I'd like us to get him but he wouldn't be replacing moreno or Digne he'd be replacing traore, zaniolo, Bailey further up the pitch 

Price would be interesting, if he was at an English club you'd be talking £30m, if juve have made a mess of their FFP a deal could be there to be done 

I've seen a few comments recently suggesting Illng Jr hasn't been very good for England U21s, I haven't been watching myself as no Villa players involved, but makes me wonder if we would be just as well bringing Philogene back. From what I'd seen previously he looked decent enough to me, maybe lost a bit of confidence as I think getting less game time with Juve, usually plays on the left cutting onto his right, I've never heard of him playing left-back, he's a very attack minded winger/wide forward.

• Like 1

Been linked with Inaki Williams in the Spanish press.

That feels far more realistic than getting in his brother.

Not sure what his own contract situation is with Bilbao but he tends to hit 8-12 goals a season in La Liga for last 5-6 years and has good pace for counter attack situations so think he could replace Bailey/Zaniolo very comfortably in our present squad and also fill in at CF if Ollie isn't around and we to keep Diaby dropping deeper.

Even if he's 30 in June I think that would be a smart signing rather than another Duran type punt for potentially 30m. His fitness record is also (somehow) better than Ollie's, went six years without missing a single league game!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1