January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I am wondering this at the moment as  in my opinion January is the time to invest with us starting so well

possibly yeah, but jan is a notoriously hard time to strengthen well, and costlier than in the summer for sure.

I agree if 1 top player becomes available we should go for it, but it does seem from those comments, that we may not have gazillions sloshing around, maybe we will need to sell some fringe players to fund a big buy or two in Jan or the summer?

• Like 1

I think the renewed talk about Acuna is to do with wages. Monchi is a wheeler dealer in many respects. Sell Digne on half a billion a week for 15 mill and buy Acuna on 60k for 10 mill. This is the kind of thing we will see at times i reckon. 

Not to be tight. But to maximise every penny we are allowed to spend..

We have a big stadium, a big training ground and a huge coaching team both 1st team and academy. These fixed costs are probably the same as the Spurs and Chelseas of this world. And they have double the revenue. 

So we have to box clever all of the time to make sure we can continue to buy players. 

That said it would be nice to spend 60 mill in Jan !!!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think the renewed talk about Acuna is to do with wages. Monchi is a wheeler dealer in many respects. Sell Digne on half a billion a week for 15 mill and buy Acuna on 60k for 10 mill. This is the kind of thing we will see at times i reckon. 

Not to be tight. But to maximise every penny we are allowed to spend..

We have a big stadium, a big training ground and a huge coaching team both 1st team and academy. These fixed costs are probably the same as the Spurs and Chelseas of this world. And they have double the revenue. 

So we have to box clever all of the time to make sure we can continue to buy players. 

That said it would be nice to spend 60 mill in Jan !!!!

Acuna is pretty old, don't really get the point given Digne seems to be really enjoying his football currently. If the Saudi option is still there I'd prefer to wait until next summer where some decent LBs in their mid 20s will be on the market.

I think in January we'll look to get another RB in and depending on what's up with Duran probably get another forward in.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Emery said in an interview a lot of the summer sales (archer, Ramsey etc) were to help balance the FFP books.

I wonder how much flexibility we will have FFP wise in jan and leading in to the summer?

It may partly depend on the conference league. Qualify to the knockout stages with some wins in the group stage and we’ve probably added £10m to the kitty.

Sell Hause & Chambers for a couple of extra million.

Then buy 1 player for £30m spread over 5 years. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

possibly yeah, but jan is a notoriously hard time to strengthen well, and costlier than in the summer for sure.

I agree if 1 top player becomes available we should go for it, but it does seem from those comments, that we may not have gazillions sloshing around, maybe we will need to sell some fringe players to fund a big buy or two in Jan or the summer?

No idea, last time I looked which was the summer it looked like we had loads of leeway

id be after another right back and a proper DM to compete with Kamara.

it goes without saying like everyone else thinks we need a back up keeper.

id rather gamble on not signing a striker

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

id be after another right back and a proper DM to compete with Kamara.

Tim's injury might just give him the biggest (and maybe only...) chance he'll ever get

I think he'll play before January and if he plays well we won't need that DM

My prediction would be that he ends the season either ahead of dendoncker or about to be sold on a monchi special

We have 2 spare spots in the Premier League squad plus Emi and Mings.

I think the issue is registering players for Europe as need certain restrictions so unless we sell a player we need to bring in locally trained players as we have 3 spots for that

I hope we buy no one, it will mean that the squad is balanced and we don't see any one of quality for the right price.

I can see us buying another RB, but there is no need to be hasty and/or frivolous.

Can't remember ever going into a January transfer window content and not panicking about how shite we are.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I hope we buy no one, it will mean that the squad is balanced and we don't see any one of quality for the right price.

I can see us buying another RB, but there is no need to be hasty and/or frivolous.

Can't remember ever going into a January transfer window content and not panicking about how shite we are.

The obvious purchase for a right back would be Frimpong from leverkusen, may as well sign a third from there 

• Like 1

I think I'd do it on a 2+1 or a 3+1 where the risk isn't significant for us but he's a really talented player with some issues. Perhaps in a more settled situation where he has been humbled by his failure at United he might knuckle down and work. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I think I'd do it on a 2+1 or a 3+1 where the risk isn't significant for us but he's a really talented player with some issues. Perhaps in a more settled situation where he has been humbled by his failure at United he might knuckle down and work. 

This statement could be made about dozens of players who have had a big trajectory change in their career.

The key is always to work out why and the likelihood that moving to our club would change it in a positive direction.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

This statement could be made about dozens of players who have had a big trajectory change in their career.

The key is always to work out why and the likelihood that moving to our club would change it in a positive direction.

I mean I think he's probably been too lackadaisical initially just believing in his talent and ability not training as hard as he could. Then he's come into a dysfunctional mess and even when he's performed decently (in terms of goals and assists) he's still had fans on his back. The environment at United is completely toxic and they'll just jump on players backs immediately. 

Think him being in a more stable environment with a close a knit group where he's not coming in as this superstar could do him a world of good in terms of forcing him to mature and work harder as well as save him from the scrutiny and pressure. 

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You don't want us to find a player we deem to be of the right quality and right price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean I think he's probably been too lackadaisical initially just believing in his talent and ability not training as hard as he could. Then he's come into a dysfunctional mess and even when he's performed decently (in terms of goals and assists) he's still had fans on his back. The environment at United is completely toxic and they'll just jump on players backs immediately. 

Think him being in a more stable environment with a close a knit group where he's not coming in as this superstar could do him a world of good in terms of forcing him to mature and work harder as well as save him from the scrutiny and pressure. 

fair enough, it's the kind of thing you just have to trust the transfer team have done the due diligence well, unless its a low cost loan