Clément Lenglet

Tom13

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Wrong call by Emi but, also, Lenglet could have done better at least shielding Muniz and recognizing the ball path. Just because the keeper calls for it doesn't absolve Lenglet of all responsibility. At the minimum, he could have looked over his shoulder for Muniz and blocked his path.

Whilst I dont agree being Left footed should be a disadvantage to him playing on  the right, I do believe moving across is partly to blame. This is because his positioning by default is for playing in his usual place. I think he got his angles wrong ,either pitch position or goalies position. Therefore he didnt push the attacker out wide enough and so didnt shield the ball as good as he should. So as he gets used to his new role he will get better. I think things are so good in the Premier League that a drop of 1 or 2%  in performance can be significant.

So what I am saying is dont get too hooked up on us giving this goal away. Just blame it on the injuries and we are still looking good.

9 minutes ago, captain said:

Whilst I dont agree being Left footed should be a disadvantage to him playing on  the right, I do believe moving across is partly to blame. This is because his positioning by default is for playing in his usual place. I think he got his angles wrong ,either pitch position or goalies position. Therefore he didnt push the attacker out wide enough and so didnt shield the ball as good as he should. So as he gets used to his new role he will get better. I think things are so good in the Premier League that a drop of 1 or 2%  in performance can be significant.

So what I am saying is dont get too hooked up on us giving this goal away. Just blame it on the injuries and we are still looking good.

I agree - it's not a huge deal.

I'm sure Unai will be frustrated by the nature of the goal, but a combination of the trajectory of the ball, Lenglet in an unfamiliar position, and a rare bad call by Emi (and that's what I think he admitted) - led to a goal.

45 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I agree - it's not a huge deal.

I'm sure Unai will be frustrated by the nature of the goal, but a combination of the trajectory of the ball, Lenglet in an unfamiliar position, and a rare bad call by Emi (and that's what I think he admitted) - led to a goal.

Was Emi's fault. He makes the call "clear it" or "mine" 

I think he has been really good and solid, less impressed by his first games, but need to take into consideration taht it's always difficult to just be thrown in now and then and also in a new team. I think I'd pick him over Diego Carlos, feels more solid and reliable. He is probably on to o high wages, otherwise I'd be happy to have him here over the next years as well.

• Like 3

I worry about him against pace, would much rather have Konsa in there, but generally has been a superb signing and has made our injury crisis a lot more bearable.

We need to make more signings like this.

I’ve been critical of him at times but considering he was a last minute loan to be 4th choice he’s done a good job. Is definitely getting better the more he plays. Be good to see him and Torres get a good partnership together over the next few weeks. Will prove two left footed centre halves can play together too! 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve been critical of him at times but considering he was a last minute loan to be 4th choice he’s done a good job. Is definitely getting better the more he plays. Be good to see him and Torres get a good partnership together over the next few weeks. Will prove two left footed centre halves can play together too! 

Not critical of you specifically but why do people call Lenglet or 4th or 5th choice CB?! He is back up to Torres... not Konsa or Carlos (unless there is a defensive crisis 😏) so is 2nd choice. Likewise they aren't back up for Torres. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Not critical of you specifically but why do people call Lenglet or 4th or 5th choice CB?! He is back up to Torres... not Konsa or Carlos (unless there is a defensive crisis 😏) so is 2nd choice. Likewise they aren't back up for Torres. 

Fair point.  Guess we need to start looking at left side and right side of centre half as positions in their own right.  Fairly new thing in the game isn’t it? I’m sure it was always 2 best centre halves in defence and the rest cover.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 11:38, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point.  Guess we need to start looking at left side and right side of centre half as positions in their own right.  Fairly new thing in the game isn’t it? I’m sure it was always 2 best centre halves in defence and the rest cover.

Yeah think you're right. Emery has a thing for leftie CBs though.

On 09/02/2024 at 15:08, villan95 said:

Interesting. I think he's tried to bring the ball out of defence like Pau as the stats show but the difference has been the passing. There was one particular moment the other night where he should have released Moreno (and I'm convinced Torres would have) but he opted to play it safer.

Moreno as an outlet when under pressure is much much worse than digne. His control and his short passing makes it so you aren't going to be playing as adventurous passes to him. 

I've been harsh on him in the past but watching him actually at the ground today he really is quite good.

Still think defensively he can be weak but on the ball he's very good, his passing is top class. 

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I wonder if we’ll be interested in keeping him for next season?

He’s decent but not for the wages. I’d be looking at some of the better players for lower clubs in the PL tbh. Brainthwaite for example looks top class

12 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He’s decent but not for the wages. I’d be looking at some of the better players for lower clubs in the PL tbh. Brainthwaite for example looks top class

Braithwaite would cost £50m plus. 

Jacob Greaves at Hull looks a top left-footed centre-back, watching him, the way he somtimes dribbles past players is more like watching a winger play, so could probably also play as a defensive left-back, very good on the ball.

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

I wonder if we’ll be interested in keeping him for next season?

If he keeps this up and would be willing to take a little bit of a pay cut, I think we should definitely be looking into it. 

The style of play seems to play to his relative strengths as a footballer and defender, as he's more technical than physical, but still a good defender in his own right. 

Â