Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 37

TheAuthority

Other than quotas astounding Sky have chosen Palace-Wolves over this.

They've known since the fixtures came out this was going to be a Sunday game so not like they can just say it was moved at short notice due to europa after picks were made.

We can certainly hurt their defence with what is missing but I also think this is first game we'll miss Mings as him at Anfield end of last season was arguably his best performance for the club.

Really need Pau-Carlos to be on it as Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Salah at various points in the afternoon is going to be very difficult to keep out.

I fancy a 2-2 anyway which will be a pretty good start after the disaster the opening day.

On 28/08/2023 at 18:43, Keyblade said:

Watkins and Diaby vs Gomez and Matip

Michael Owen Soccer GIF - Michael Owen Soccer - Discover ...

Seeing his horrible, smarmy little face there reminds me that I’ve always really detested Michael Owen. He was an outstanding young talent but one hell of a boring clearing in the woods!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DJBOB said:

To accommodate Trent, Liverpool have switched to the 3-2 box in settled possession with Endo pairing Trent in the double pivot and Mac Allister and Szoboszlai as the 8’s in the half space with Salah wide right and a combination of Diaz wide left and Gakpo at striker. 

Definitely a potent attack but with Konate and VVD out, that back line is ripe for picking apart - especially on our left hand side. Trent is not defensively disciplined in the double pivot and they can be caught in transition. I back McGinn to win any duel against Trent and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Digne arriving late for acres of space to cross. 

I think Villa will definitely focus on attacking the space behind Trent in transition with either Ollie drifting into that space or the McGinn-Digne combo. 

I was thinking just this. McGinn on the left is perfect, will cause Trent issues all game, with Watkins and Diaby hopefully causing Joe Gomez and Matip all sorts of problems in their makeshift defense..

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I was thinking just this. McGinn on the left is perfect, will cause Trent issues all game, with Watkins and Diaby hopefully causing Joe Gomez and Matip all sorts of problems in their makeshift defense..

Yes, I think they can be had at.

My concern is that Liverpool will happily kick it wide to Salah and Diaz and let them go 1v1 vs Digne and whoever starts between Cash/Konsa.

Can not concede first.

This game ain’t even on Sky Sports on Sunday, what a shit show from Sky, they’re showing Palace v Wolves instead 😂

Might actually help us not being on TV, the televised games tend to get the extra extra time and dodgy VaR decisions 

Well, had a look at a Pool forum. On the positive side, they definitely take the Villa seriously. A few grudgers seem to think we wrecked their CL chance. There are some "I have a bad feeling about this" types -- same as we have here. On the negative side, they think our left is vulnerable and Bailey is a real weak spot if he plays on the left. One said we're basically gate-crashers trying to get into the Big Six party and we need to be "put in our place." I wouldn't say they're disrespectful. I saw admiration for Emery and McGinn. Don't seem to realise we have Nicolo now. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I’m not confident about this one. Yes, we have 4 wins in a row, but to be honest it was against teams that weren’t able to challenge us.

Liverpool is on a level we are aiming for, and this match would provide some indication to what level we have reached.

I hope Emery would make improvements to the high defensive line and that we can out-score them for a win. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Nunez absolutely cooked our high line last season. We were lucky he was wearing Timberland boots and missed like 5 one on ones. Don't think he's so forgiving this season.

We might not see the high line in this one.  A few times last season we used that 6-2-2 formation to good effect and hit teams on the counter.  Seems like it would work well against Liverpool, with their weak defense and our pace of front, a counter setup would be perfect.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well, had a look at a Pool forum. On the positive side, they definitely take the Villa seriously. A few grudgers seem to think we wrecked their CL chance. There are some "I have a bad feeling about this" -- same as we have here. On the negative side, they think our left is vulnerable and Bailey is a real weak spot if he plays on the left. One said we're basically gate-crashers trying to get into the Big Six party and we need to be "put in our place." I wouldn't say they're disrespectful. I saw admiration for Emery and McGinn. Don't seem to realise we have Nicolo now. 

I think we'll see McGinn on the left for this one.

• Like 2

Obviously going to be tough this one but I honestly think we’re better equipped this season than last and we managed a draw at Anfield in May. Martinez being fit and ready is crucial but if it is Olsen then so be it. We’re a really good side and I think we could cause a shock or at least gain a point.  I suppose the only argument with team selection is do we play with the three CB’s that served us so well at Burnley or go back to a flat back four?  I reckon we’ll go with the three CB’s again with Cash and Digne pushing on when in possession:

Martinez

Cash        Konsa     Carlos     Pau       Digne

Kamara       Luiz                    

McGinn  
                   Diaby                     
                                  Watkins 

Subs:  Olsen, Lenglet, Chambers, Dendoncker, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Traore, Bailey, Duran 

Edit - Was Lenglet signed in time make the bench? 

A win here would be amazing but I’m going with a very entertaining 2-2. UTV

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, duke313 said:

This game ain’t even on Sky Sports on Sunday, what a shit show from Sky, they’re showing Palace v Wolves instead 😂

Might actually help us not being on TV, the televised games tend to get the extra extra time and dodgy VaR decisions 

With the definitely impartial 'Carra' squealing (or spitting as per his rap sheet if you prefer) bloody murder every time a Villa player goes within 5m of a red shirt...