Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 37

TheAuthority

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm actually disappointed VVD is not playing. Ollie has him on toast every game. He's awfully overrated

Well… he’s their leader and organiser too and exerts a lot of influence. In much the same way Ty has been for us (but hopefully we’ve addressed and covered for that). Certainly a miss for them…

Konate missing too, so they’ve lost a fair bit of physicality.

Regardless, we’d be stupid not to pressure or focus on that partnership of Matip and Gomez… it’s far inferior. Wonder if they’ll play that young CB too/instead…

Unai has it sorted.

They have such attacking quality and Anfield is a real fortress (we need VP to be something similar for us) for them but we showed our resilience last season and Unai always has a plan…

We’ve got to at least try and take advantage of this opportunity… before they get into their groove really. They may have goals in their side but they can also be got at… the players need to follow McGinn’s lead in terms of being tenacious and aggressive…

We have some brilliant players of our own.. let’s see if we can spring a surprise…

Diaby and Zaniolo are going to class for us…

6 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

9 wins on the trot in all competitions at The Church. 

I'd say it's already a fortress. 

Good point… I do think the atmosphere could be better and more consistent though… let’s intimidate the opposition.

Should be bouncing!

• Like 3

It’s such a good feeling going into this game, for the first time in many many years it’s not just about hoping they will have a day off, a good defensive performance from us and manging to nick a win. Now I feel we actually can compete with them on equal terms. Still hold them as favourits of course, but the feeling is so good and looking forward to a great game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It’s such a good feeling going into this game, for the first time in many many years it’s not just about hoping they will have a day off, a good defensive performance from us and manging to nick a win. Now I feel we actually can compete with them on equal terms. Still hold them as favourits of course, but the feeling is so good and looking forward to a great game.

Totally agree!  I’m nervous though, but probably because with the added ability to really compete comes added expectation that we actually CAN do something! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Totally agree!  I’m nervous though, but probably because with the added ability to really compete comes added expectation that we actually CAN do something! 

Yes, and considering how much they have spent on their squad it’s a bit frightening, the attacking players in particular. I guess most would expect them to win, hopefully they underestimate us!

• Like 1

This will be a tough one.

Liverpool are a tough ask, in their own back yard.....I would happily accept a performance from us, like last season.

For me, I will be watching how we nullify their threat....and to be honest a clean sheet is my main objective.....get that and I will be happy.

17 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Thats key, to getting anything from this game.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

This will be a tough one.

Liverpool are a tough ask, in their own back yard.....I would happily accept a performance from us, like last season.

For me, I will be watching how we nullify their threat....and to be honest a clean sheet is my main objective.....get that and I will be happy.

If Villa get a clean sheet we win the game I think.

Big ask though, I'd take a draw but also feel it is Villa's best chance to do them over.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If Villa get a clean sheet we win the game I think.

Big ask though, I'd take a draw but also feel it is Villa's best chance to do them over.

I don't have a fear of us not scoring.....I think we can find the net, reasonably comfortably, in most games.

Its our end, I am not so sure about.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats key, to getting anything from this game.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't have a fear of us not scoring.....I think we can find the net, reasonably comfortably, in most games.

Its our end, I am not so sure about.

spacer.png

😉 😆 

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It’s the kind of game where I really miss Mings, the only slight questionmark for me is how we shall line up on the right hand side in defence. I’d want Konsa to play both in the RCB and RB position!

spacer.png