Marcos Acuña

wishywashy

55 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

15m is mad for someone who is 32 in a few months.

No thanks.

Totally depends on the player and the needs of the team. He'd be slotting straight into the starting XI and providing depth and experience until we find replacements for both Acuna and Moreno in a couple of years. 

15m is fine, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Would be happy to see this come off. One in, one (very expensive back-up) out.

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1691695785791111448?s=46&t=ypHb-xivXyIOi6hQmFuhAA

We essentially replace Digne with Acuna and halve our annual cost for the player. We also add a more versatile LB who can operate a lot like Moreno does. 

Also never bad adding World Cup winners to the Squad. Europa League winner too like two of our CBs

• Like 2

Just now, CVByrne said:

We essentially replace Digne with Acuna and halve our annual cost for the player. We also add a more versatile LB who can operate a lot like Moreno does. 

Also never bad adding World Cup winners to the Squad. Europa League winner too like two of our CBs

Yes, brilliant business. Imagine if they can pull off a similar deal involving Coutinho?! 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

How do you know we'd be halving the annual cost? Could it not be a third, or even a quarter?

Edited by Tom13

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

How do you know we'd be halving the annual cost? Could it not be a third, or even a quarter?

Just estimation we did in FFP thread. Digne cost 25m over 4.5y so fee cost is 5.5m per year and his wages would be 6.5m per year so total cost 12m per year. If we signed Acuna for 8m fee on 4 year contract and pay him 4m (80k) in salary it's a 6m cost per year. 80k is a big pay increase over what Seville can afford him (google says he's on 30-40k). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Just estimation we did in FFP thread. Digne cost 25m over 4.5y so fee cost is 5.5m per year and his wages would be 6.5m per year so total cost 12m per year. If we signed Acuna for 8m fee on 4 year contract and pay him 4m (80k) in salary it's a 6m cost per year. 80k is a big pay increase over what Seville can afford him (google says he's on 30-40k). 

So the 80k p/w is just a complete estimation yeah?

The amount of numpties on Twitter going ooh I can see Acuna or Moreno playing LM. No, they won't play left mid (regularly at least), just because they're relatively comfortable on the ball doesn't mean they're not full backs ffs. Drives me mad 🤣

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

So the 80k p/w is just a complete estimation yeah?

Yes, most of our senior squad are in the 70-100k range I think. Plus it's a massive pay rise for Acuna vs what he's getting at Seville

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

The amount of numpties on Twitter going ooh I can see Acuna or Moreno playing LM. No, they won't play left mid (regularly at least), just because they're relatively comfortable on the ball doesn't mean they're not full backs ffs. Drives me mad 🤣

But Acura has quite literally played LM for a good chunk of his career. So, he likely will play there at some point.

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes, most of our senior squad are in the 70-100k range I think. Plus it's a massive pay rise for Acuna vs what he's getting at Seville

I was just questioning how you can say we're halving the cost as if it's fact. When really everything's a complete guess, including Digne's wages unless you have inside info.

26 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I know , Moreno was converted from a left midfielder to a fullback for a reason.

Whilst our goalkeeping position represents the greatest drop off on quality between starter and backup, left back will soon have the greatest drop off in handsomeness

However I am willing to let this slide

Genuinely though, would Acuna be considered a starter over Moreno when all are fit? He certainly seems to be a better defender/ tackler than Moreno and we are famous on this site for overrating our players when they are injured over a long period of time.

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Genuinely though, would Acuna be considered a starter over Moreno when all are fit? 

No. Moreno was bought for his attacking prowess. We are aiming to be a top 8 team so we should be more attacking than defensive in most of the games we play this season.

12 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Genuinely though, would Acuna be considered a starter over Moreno when all are fit? He certainly seems to be a better defender/ tackler than Moreno and we are famous on this site for overrating our players when they are injured over a long period of time.

No chance. We're a completely different side when Moreno's playing (in a good way). He was class when he was playing, not just because he's injured. How long has it been since we had a fullback who's comfortable on the ball in tight spaces and can actually dribble, and on top of that play consistently good cutbacks?

Acuña is definitely a back-up, he’s nowhere near good enough to be a regular starter, and should certainly not be considered for a LM spot.

Don’t be fooled by the medals, he’s got into those teams through a mixture of good fortune and the fact that he’s a grafter - which I’ll give him, is a good quality, but he’s just not at the technical level of the other signings we’ve made so far this summer.

All that said, I’m not a massive fan of Digne’s either, so if swapping one back-up for another allows us more funds to use elsewhere then I’m all for it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No chance. We're a completely different side when Moreno's playing (in a good way). He was class when he was playing, not just because he's injured. How long has it been since we had a fullback who's comfortable on the ball in tight spaces and can actually dribble, and on top of that play consistently good cutbacks?

That’s the difference between him and Dinge , I think the reason why Dinge was successful at Everton under Ancelotti was whipping those balls into an inform Calvert Lewin. Crossing the ball doesn’t really work in our system .

Â