Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/23 at 22:59

50 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

And I guarantee he will

He will

We just have to forget this

Just so sad… the injuries to Emi and now Ty…

We have to splash the cash and forget about doing anything in January 

We can’t lose out shit, have to keep it together and not overreact. We finally have a manager who is worth believing in and fully supporting.

Roar them on at VP next week!

It’s just so typical isn’t it. We really should have expected today to have gone the way it did. New signings… only 1 starts. Injuries. Some of the same players playing crap like they did for much of last season. 
Why? Why do we allow this?  

• Sad 1

Well that was a hard watch from the Newcastle end. Before the match they asked if any Villa fans were there and I was the only one. 

After the game and in the post match speech by Super Mac I had him telling me not to worry and some sort of commiseration round of applause. 

For me the match was gone as soon as they scored at the start, and too many bad performances, Konsa, Kamara and Bailey all not at it.

Just now, Mantis said:

This seems like a bit of an overstatement to say the least. We now personify lack of preparedness because of one bad loss to a team that finished 3rd last season and because we haven't completed all of our transfer dealings by early August?

We surely know that this fixture was one of the toughest, many fans said it was a nightmare fixture. Did Emery not think that too?

First five minutes Villa gave them everything, it set the tone. Hence my reasoning for saying Villa were unprepared.

Just now, brummybloke said:

Today emery got it badly wrong.

Can't help injuries but he's seen enough of the players to know who can be relied on and who can't.

He will not be so trusting with certain players again I feel.

Agreed.

Just now, Pinebro said:

Why are people disrespecting Howe though?

They have drastically improved every year under him and are not looking like slowing down anytime soon.

Riding a crest of a wave, lots of positive energy around them now...

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I didn't want to put this into the Universe, but that showing and the set of new circumstances we've been presented with, almost make me feel like we could be in for another season of " transition " ffs.

Let's see how the window and our next couple go though.

We are all probably still in shock and wound up.

Yup.

Totally feeling that too...

Villa's plans were in disarray with Buendia's injury hence unprepared for the game...

Now Mings potentially out for six months; he's a leader on and off the pitch.

Transitional season for sure.

6 minutes ago, striker said:

That’s so not true. Newcastle have a very good coach who has bought well and knew how to blow Villa’s high line apart.

Bought well with blood money. I like Howe but you can’t disconnect the two. 

• Haha 1

Another opening day defeat, compounded by a bad injury to Tyrone. We did ok in patches but our defence were hopeless and were even worse when we went to a back three. 

Newcastle deserved that and they doubled or trebled up on our players when we had the all out wide, it was one of those days but I expect a big improvement next weekend.

15 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

If someone said to me after Brighton on the last game of the season "you'll be starting next season with the exact same starting 11 except for 1 player" I would have been mighty pissed off.

What if i told you that one player would be moussa Diaby and we’d have tielemans and Pau Torres on the bench though? 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup.

Totally feeling that too...

Villa's plans were in disarray with Buendia's injury hence unprepared for the game...

Now Mings potentially out for six months; he's a leader on and off the pitch.

Transitional season for sure.

**** it

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But why eveey 1st game of the season do we perform this poorly? Its unacceptable 

Why do you think? Do you think the owners are telling everyone to be shit? The players don't care about the first game? Emery has decided to carry on a long running club tradition of starting badly?

Or maybe correlation =/= causation and we have had a bad first game for different reasons than we have in the past.

• Like 1

Just now, Sam-AVFC said:

Why do you think? Do you think the owners are telling everyone to be shit? The players don't care about the first game? Emery has decided to carry on a long running club tradition of starting badly?

Or maybe correlation =/= causation and we have had a bad first game for different reasons than we have in the past.

I get all of this, but why earth can we not just get off to a flying start for once?

I am shocked by that. We would have had a gameplan that involved little Emi which went out the window. 

The players were affected by this wearing the t shirts prior to the game.  Mings the onfield leader booming out instructions then having an even worse injury you just feel that it doubled down on the misery.

The Don has his work cut out to pick the confidence up off the floor and to get us out of feeling sorry for ourselves.

Big game next week a must win really.

My humble opinions

Martinez 5 - Well below his usual standards. Did some strange things like the foul that led to a yellow and poor distribution. Still made a couple of big saves though.

Cash 3 - Stupid fouls all game. Played them onside for the 2nd goal.

Konsa 4 - Awful mistake for goal 3 I think it was? losing the ball in his own box.

Mings 6 - Not at fault for anything. Going to be a big loss.

Digne 5 - Was alright, some nice crosses in the first half.

Kamara 4 - Sloppy. Not sure what's happened to him since the end of last season.

Luiz 5 - Not the worst player but didn't affect the game enough either.

Bailey 4 - A bit of nice link up play with Diaby but didn't do enough really.

McGinn 5 - Was okay bearing in mind he was out of position on the left.

Diaby 7 - A bright spark in a terrible team performance. Especially lively in the first half and took his goal well.

Watkins 5 - Really quiet game from him. Missed a good chance in the first half.

Subs: 

Pau 5 - Wasn't particularly at fault I don't think but didn't shine either.

Carlos 4 - Defence arguably got worse when he came on but not sure it was all on him.

Tielemans 4 - Game passed him by. Barely noticed him considering he played half the match!

Coutinho 6 - Some nice touches, could do worse than give him a start next match.

Philogene 5 - Not on long but didn't notice him.

Edited by villan95

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

I get all of this, but why earth can we not just get off to a flying start for once?

Trust me, I feel the same and wish we had! Particularly as this will probably be the only game I'm not working during for the next few months.

We got our tactics a bit wrong. Mings going off removed any pace from our defence. Chasing the game we left ourselves even more open and conceded cheap goals at the end.

What I hate is vague talk suggesting we are destined to be losers based on unconnected events in the past.

• Like 1