Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That goal was finished with such technique, it's almost like he fakes to hit it with his other foot. A lot of players would have snatched at that. 

You are absolutely right - as soon as it went in and I saw the view from behind the goal.

That was no mean feat - and for me it further highlights, we do indeed have a player on our hands 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

You are absolutely right - as soon as it went in and I saw the view from behind the goal.

That was no mean feat - and for me it further highlights, we do indeed have a player on our hands 

He has that Latin panache about his game. I think you make a valid point, when he finds that groove, he could be something else.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I disagree on making the move permanent (it wouldn’t be wise based on how the loan has gone and the asking price, we should only be paying significant fees for starters and players that can elevate/upgrade our first 11. We don’t have free rein to spend so need to be extra savvy in the market. He’s not a favoured player of Unai’s so what would be the point? Save the funds for a more effective option, esp if we get CL) but I want to see him be given more game time and opportunities in a favoured position… especially with the squad depleted as it is. 

He just wouldn’t get into our strongest 11 if everyone were available. The evidence so far supports that… if Unai liked him, he’d have been playing much more…

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Because he's been really bad?

I don't want to pile on the guy but I am really perplexed at what people see in him. It's like Gil.

Maybe at a push go for another loan deal and see if he can acclimatise but he's going to cost 25/30m and he has not shown anywhere near that level of player...and FFP is going to be to the wire and tight as anything.

It's a non starter.

All depends on how he is behind the scenes. As a loan on the pitch, he hasn’t been great at all. Some moments, but largely incredibly average. HOWEVER…

…if he’s working well off the pitch and Emery is seeing an improvement, getting that potential calibre of player for £20-£30m is decent value these days. Much in the same way that Bailey wasn’t written off despite looking poor and has suddenly come into his own.

All depends what’s happening off the pitch. There’s certainly a baller in there and he’s got plenty of years left (turns 25 in the summer).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Did he 'shush' the Villa fans after he scored? Looked like it to me...

They were the other end of the ground I think. 

Edited by Steero113

Nice quotes from Unai today about Nico. Rates him a lot more than some here which is all that matters.

“Every player was there when we needed them. Zaniolo was one of them,” said Emery. “His impact was fantastic.

“I am very happy for him and hopefully we can add him in this mood for the rest of the season.”

Link

Not sure how much he rates him considering how few minutes he gets and not being played in a position that best suits him…

Unai’s a nice guy anyway, he doesn’t treat players like shit - unlike inferior managers.

I think it’s obvious that he isn’t a huge fan and doesn’t see him as a starter in his Villa team. Would be shocked if we signed Nico with the way things have gone but… he can contribute and help us out for the rest of the season. Deserves more game time and has shown what he can do…

Time is running out… I think if we actually wanted to sign him he would’ve been in the team and starting a lot more than he has… don’t see the point in paying a big fee for a player unless they are actually going to start and play in the side.

Save it for someone who will… we don’t have an unlimited budget and, if we believe the reports, possibly a heavily restricted one that is dependent on moving players out and freeing up funds however we can… we need to enhance, not add numbers.

Again, he can help us out and continue to score important goals for us… but, it’s up to Unai whether to pick him and imo he should ahead of players like Rogers and Duran.

Edited by Jas10

I've assumed that his lack of playing time is down to us not wanting to make the deal permanent. Suspect if he plays x amount of minutes we'd be forced to buy him. 

No one really knows the details of the deal or loan arrangement… it’s mostly just speculation. If we were worried about activating a fee and didn’t want to sign him, he simply would not be played or dropped before the “set number of games” etc.

I’m assuming we have the final say on whether we decide to make it a permanent deal or not once the season has ended… I suspect and assume we won’t. Regardless of how much I like the player or believe in the potential he may have…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

If we were worried about activating a fee and didn’t want to sign him, he simply would not be played or dropped before the “set number of games” etc.

That's exactly the point i'm making. I suspect this is the case and it's why he hasn't started a match in ages. Bringing him on for 20mins here and there might be totally viable without the need to sign him permanently. Speculation though. 

2 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

His frustrating,  but his one of a few who has flair and x factor ability for me .

Tbh… I don’t see that much flair or panache from him… not as much as I expected anyway. He’s more of a goal getter than a playmaker or skilled dribbler… the lad can finish and get into good positions… I was impressed with his goal against Sheff Utd too, got us out of a hole there and showed more bravery and anticipation than his team mates… he has a decent strike in him too, and we don’t tend to make many long range efforts…

IIRC, his shot rebounded for Duran’s goal in ECL… vs Legia?? I do sometimes wish we would pepper the opposition goal with more shots than we do…

I really do believe his best position in our side would be in support of Ollie and even covering for him at times…

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

That's exactly the point i'm making. I suspect this is the case and it's why he hasn't started a match in ages. Bringing him on for 20mins here and there might be totally viable without the need to sign him permanently. Speculation though. 

Maybe… who knows? 😆🤷‍♂️

Like I said, we’re just speculating…

Was a great finish today as caught the keeper off guard as expected a side footed shot. Think he tried a similar finish vs Spurs last week but missed it

Â