Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

Just now, ChesterDad said:

I kinda think you are trying to justify that you like many of us waited for Bailey to come good - yet you don’t think Zaniolo could do the same ?

I’m not justifying anything, just giving my opinion on a player who I don’t think is good enough for this level. You think he is, that’s fine. I would love him to prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

Hard to draw conclusions after the sh*t show that came before him but he's not filling me with confidence. There's a naivety to his game that perhaps he can iron out over time but is that worth the investment? Just doesn't seem like a good fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Can’t blame him or any of the subs for coming on so late into that shit show of a second half. For once, that’s on Emery. 

It’s sort of the point of the subs though mate, to change the game. Both him and Diaby had over 20 minutes to make an impact. I’m not blaming either for tonight but they offered nothing when they come on. 

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Because he was trash like he always is and lost the ball every time he touched it.

I guess you want to sell Diaby at the first opportunity, because he was even worse when he came on

9 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

We back to blaming the subs when those on the pitch had already lost the game?? lmao 

We lost a game, so everyone is shit again. 

• Like 1

Like all reasonable fans I want this guy to come good and be a key part of the team, but - within reason - I think we need to be a bit more ruthless as a club when it comes to recruitment. 

The question applied to every player should be ‘would they get into any of the squads that finished above us?’ If at the end of the season the answer is no, we either shouldn’t be looking to sign them permanently, or actively planning to upgrade them. 

I really hope Zaniolo makes the grade because I think he’s got it in him to be fantastic, he just needs to show us that in the next 19 games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

Like all reasonable fans I want this guy to come good and be a key part of the team, but - within reason - I think we need to be a bit more ruthless as a club when it comes to recruitment. 

The question applied to every player should be ‘would they get into any of the squads that finished above us?’ If at the end of the season the answer is no, we either shouldn’t be looking to sign them permanently, or actively planning to upgrade them. 

I really hope Zaniolo makes the grade because I think he’s got it in him to be fantastic, he just needs to show us that in the next 19 games.

Aren't we obliged to buy him after a certain number of games (20?) So he really needs to be showing his worth a lot sooner than that, or we could end up having to shell out £30m+ on a player who hasn't shown very much at all thus far.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Aren't we obliged to buy him after a certain number of games (20?) So he really needs to be showing his worth a lot sooner than that, or we could end up having to shell out £30m+ on a player who hasn't shown very much at all thus far.

Oh okay, I didn’t know that. 

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

Be interesting what the contractual terms are on that. Is it 20 starts or 20 appearances? 

Either way we are in a sticky spot with tiredness, games, injuries, suspensions we need the squad to step up. He’ll get his chance to show he’s worth the money. Let’s hope he is. 

11 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I kinda think you are trying to justify that you like many of us waited for Bailey to come good - yet you don’t think Zaniolo could do the same ?

I see zero between the Leon Bailey who first came to the club and Zaniolo 

There is one major major difference. 

Bailey had a year playing under Gerrard.  Anyone playing under Gerrard looked awful and can be excused for that period if their Villa career. 

Zaniolo has played exclusively under Emery. 

That's a big difference. Zaniolo isn't suddenly going to be coached into better performances. They've been working on him for months now. 

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is one major major difference. 

Bailey had a year playing under Gerrard.  Anyone playing under Gerrard looked awful and can be excused for that period if their Villa career. 

Zaniolo has played exclusively under Emery. 

That's a big difference. Zaniolo isn't suddenly going to be coached into better performances. They've been working on him for months now. 

I’ll grant you the Gerrard factor - but let’s be fair Bailey showed nothing whatsoever during this tenure - I would have expected a little more even during this dark spell.

Zaniolo yes of course has also been poor, but I see enough to suggest there is a player in there, and I am willing to give him time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

I guess you want to sell Diaby at the first opportunity, because he was even worse when he came on

Did you even mean to reply to my post?

I never mentioned Diaby. Or getting rid of Zaniolo.

Just said he played shit. Which he did. And always does. It's annoying AF.

11 hours ago, WHY said:

It’s sort of the point of the subs though mate, to change the game. Both him and Diaby had over 20 minutes to make an impact. I’m not blaming either for tonight but they offered nothing when they come on. 

IMO the system we were playing needed to be changed not just the players. 2 subs, but same system same outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokingzen said:

IMO the system we were playing needed to be changed not just the players. 2 subs, but same system same outcome.

I don’t disagree but we didn’t really have the players on the bench to change much. 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd have brought him on for Ramsey at half time or soon after on the left.  I thought when Zaniolo played there at the start of the season it wasn't getting the best out of him but looking back, he was actually doing a fair enough job there.

I agree, Villa are carrying Ramsey as he's still not match-fit it would seem.

Half-time of around sixty minutes would have been a better time to bring Zaniolo on.

Â