Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep, downing is an "easy" one, they know he's got a broken leg, they'll assess when it will heal, check for everything else and then pass him

Exactly. 

I remember mass confusion on here when Downing was signed because people couldn't understand how he'd passed a medical with a broken foot

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, allani said:

He's better further up the pitch and looking to take on defenders.  He can / will drop back to get the ball but to be honest I think we'll be looking at slide balls for him or Ollie to run onto and then also having the option to exploit the pace of Diaby.  With those three we will be absolutely lethal on the break - so it really plays into our style of trying to draw the opposition towards us and then exploiting the space that leaves.  But Zaniolo can also cause trouble when teams drop back - he's got the skills to either beat defenders camped on the edge of the box or to make space to lay off a pass and he's also got an absolute hammer of a left foot.  Indeed I reckon it would be an interesting experiment to see whether he can challenge Hitz for the "Das Hammer" monicker - although obviously we would need to change it to "il martello" if Zaniolo won.

How good is his passing and ball retention? If he loses the ball fairly often from trying to beat his man, flicks and tricks, then he should be played further forward.

We can all see that Unai wants a side that is proficient in controlling and dictating the play and building up attacks… we can’t afford to cheaply lose possession in dangerous areas - neither Unai nor us fans will tolerate it…

I just keep seeing Nico as a genuine goal threat for us, maybe a future CF, but having an additional ball carrier, other than JJ, will be additionally helpful… Hmm… what happens when Ramsey returns…? Moreno too…

Some lovely depth and options there…

Also wondering whether it should be Diaby dropping back into midfield/wing rather than Nico… no need to play/start the likes of Bailey or any other underperforming player then…

unless Unai tweaks the system…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. 

I remember mass confusion on here when Downing was signed because people couldn't understand how he'd passed a medical with a broken foot

did wonder if they would check a players blood and piss as part of a larger overall health check

as well as probably being handed over the players medical records from his previous clubs but that I'm really not sure on, if say he had an op on the ACL the doctor at villa would get the record and understand exactly what the procedure was and how it healed etc

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How good is his passing and ball retention? If he loses the ball fairly often from trying to beat his man, flicks and tricks, then he should be played further forward.

We can all see that Unai wants a side that is proficient in controlling and dictating the play and building up attacks… we can’t afford to cheaply lose possession in dangerous areas - neither Unai nor us fans will tolerate it…

I just keep seeing Nico as a genuine goal threat for us, maybe a future CF, but having an additional ball carrier, other than JJ, will be additionally helpful… Hmm… what happens when Ramsey returns…? Moreno too…

Some lovely depth and options there…

Also wondering whether it should be Diaby dropping back into midfield/wing rather than Nico… no need to play/start the likes of Bailey or any other underperforming player then…

unless Unai tweaks the system…

I think it depends on how Emery wants to play him. 

My view (and maybe @romavillan will have a view on this?) is that Roma tended to play him as a more advanced player looking to join the forwards and attack the defence.  So it's hard to tell how good his passing and ball retention are because that's not really the way that he was being played.  I mean the lad can absolutely spot and deliver a pass - he's much, much more aware of the players around and in front of him than Ollie (not that that is difficult) even when he's making similar runs / driving forward with the ball to Ollie.  So Ollie and Diaby will enjoy that - as will the likes of Ramsey and Luiz.  It can be hard to tell sometimes whether players passing / ball retention determines how they are used or whether the way they are used determines their stats (For the Love of Paul McGrath covered this point really well in their intro to Zaniolo - and in general I feel).  I think he could play deeper but I do think that his pace and strength are better suited to the 10 role.

The return of Ramsey will be interesting - but I think we've got 3 really strong attacking players there (Diaby, Zaniolo and Ramsey) who all have different strengths but that you can play any of them supporting Ollie and give us a real threat.  My feeling is that all three are probably better when playing narrower (i.e. they are corner of the box type players rather than touchline type players) so the width will need to come from further back - be that Moreno, McGinn or whoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NeilS said:

You Tube Video - This is why Aston Villa want Nicolo Zaniolo

Was it this one? If so I thought the same as you, he dribbles the ball alot but nothing seems to come of it other than he wins fouls in the middle of the pitch, or gives the ball away, has a pop from distance that hits defender or flies over. I did get bored after 4 mins of the same thing in the video though, so maybe the second half of the video is better? 😂

The injury concerns are another major worry, my gut feeling is this won't be a ood signing. I hope that I am wrong though, and to be honest it wouldn't be the first time if I am wrong, I thought that Jordan Ayew would be good once he settled in the PL. 🤣

Yep this is the one i watched, also turned it off after about 4 minutes, actually chuffed someone thought exactly the same as me 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, colhint said:

Get Dougie will be a bit miffed took ages to get him a chant and Zaniolo gets 2 and he hasn't got here yet.

Oh don’t worry once he’s on the pitch it’ll be Super Super Zan, Super Zaniolo 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Oh don’t worry once he’s on the pitch it’ll be Super Super Zan, Super Zaniolo 

Oooooh Nicola Zanioooolooo 
Oooooh Nicola Zanioooolooo 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TOTTI-THE-GOD said:

Yep this is the one i watched, also turned it off after about 4 minutes, actually chuffed someone thought exactly the same as me 😂

Thankfully @alreadyexists has posted a shorter and better highlights Youtube video on page 59 of this thread. It has made me feel a little better about the transfer, and with that video only being 4 minutes long my concentration span wasn't tested too much. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It seems listening to Neil dunworths Italian guest…..Zaniolo could be a major signing.

His attributes will be a huge welcome to our squad…He was once billed as one of Italy’s brightest talents…,.if we can manage and respect his knees, like we did with Macca….he could be really special.

This could go one way or the other, but I am looking positively and I think his diversity to our squad will be will be hugely welcome.

Nic could be a real Filip to our other players and add to the overall belief.

13 hours ago, Wezbid said:

The thing is, Everton have signed Harrison when he's still out for a month or so.

We signed Downing with a broken foot if I remember correctly, so I assume they are still put through as many paces as possible. 

I don't know how they grade a pass/fail but would like to think our medical staff will spot anything overly concerning. 

In fairness, it was us that broke his foot. 

On 10/08/2023 at 09:55, skarroki said:

This should be my thread and therefore I hope we don't sign him.

No but if we were signing this guy 2/3 years ago my jaw would have hit the floor. Same could be said of Tielemans. If we can get them close to their best we have some squad. 

It’s a risk…..but they all are.

it’s a risk that might be worth taking.

We are still some way off of signing complete world class low risk players.

Paul McGrath had his initial doubters….that never ended badly.

• Like 1

Â