Do you have a "second club"?

Marka Ragnos

I don't have a particular second team anymore since moving away from my home town many many years ago, however, over the years I have flitted between certain teams.

Torquay Utd - For no other silly reason other than I used to always pick them on Football Manager 1997 on the Sega Mega Drive to try and take them up the league's. Because of this silliness, I've found myself looking out for them over the years. Bizarre behaviour I know.

Rushden & Diamonds (before they folded after Griggs sold up) - Used to live 20 minutes from their ground which was absolutely stunning for a non-league club at the time and solely kept an eye on their results just from being local. Very sad when they folded and their lovely stadium was flattened.

Luton Town - Caught my eye over the years of their rags to riches journey seeing where they have came from to where they are now. I have a feeling after this season though I will no longer give a toss about them now they've made it to the PL.

Norwich/Kings Lynn - Used to live in Norfolk. Started looking out for both teams results more when I was there. I remember Farke being appointed at the time. Ian Culverhouse was manager of Lynn.

Rangers - my late father was a Rangers fan being born in Glasgow. (I preferred them more in the 90's though during the Woods, Butcher, McCoist, Hateley era).

I think this season I'll keep an eye on Exeter after learning how they have assembled their team for this season. (they also have Sinisalo on loan)

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Wrexham have been my second team since I was 8-years old or so. They had a good run in the FA Cup in the 96/97 season so they were on Match of the Day a lot. I don't know what it is about them, but I found myself following their FA Cup journey that season and since then I've always kept tabs on them.

• Like 1

I like to see Southampton do well as long as it’s not at our expense.
Having lived in the New Forest since the mid-90s, all of my pals are Saints fans and aside from some friendly banter on game days, they don’t have a bad word to say about our club

I keep an Eye on Wycombe Wanderes and Lincoln as I lived in the areas on and off. 

Always wonder what Lincoln could of acheived if there double managers hadnt left to go to the Championship (Huddersfield?)

There is no other club that comes close to my love of Villa, but there are two other sides that give me some happiness when I see a winning score line or sadness/anger when I see a negative one. Those two being Hertha Berlin and Shrewsbury Town.

Other clubs I monitor but aren't really attached to - Real Oviedo, Fiorentina & AIK.

I guess I now have somewhat of a vested interest in Vitoria now also.

Edited by Hornso

It’s been covered elsewhere many times, but I’ll do a quick recap: 

Vålerenga Oslo. Active club member, active ultra. Season ticket and as much away travel as I can financially and logistically swing. 

Then I have a couple of teams I follow closely, but not religiously, like Celtic and St. Pauli, and more recently and to a smaller extent, Athletic Club. I tend to have soft spots for teams that are part of the left wing/antifa fanfreundschaft circle across Europe. 

Finally, though I don’t actively follow them, watching Boca Juniors live at La Bombonera is my ultimate bucket list item. 

I don’t really have a ‘second team’ in England or Norway. 

On 07/08/2023 at 09:48, ender4 said:

Leicester City because my wife is from Leicester and supports them. The fairytale season made me like them as well. 

Interesting as I have wiped that season from my memory.  It was a tough watch so even though it was a great achievement for them it kind of passed me by.

Edited by S-Platt

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Tamworth as they’re local, and my son plays in their academy. 

You need to get him in the Villa academy so we can discuss the merits of selling him for £12m in a few years time! 👀

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

You need to get him in the Villa academy so we can discuss the merits of selling him for £12m in a few years time! 👀

I’ve seen a few of the lads that have been released from Villa’s academy and they are insanely good. The ones they keep must be unbelievable.

Just now, Genie said:

I’ve seen a few of the lads that have been released from Villa’s academy and they are insanely good. The ones they keep must be unbelievable.

Yeah, I bet. I once played a friendly at Powerleague after our league game got cancelled against a bunch of kids. Ref before the game said to us “go easy on them lads” - they destroyed us. Turns out, 2 of the lads were in the Forest academy and I don’t think either are there anymore. Scary how good kept academy players must be; and that’s only from playing 5-a-side against ones who apparently weren’t good enough :D 

• Like 1

I became interested in watching football largely because of Messi and his wizardry, so I'd watch Barcelona at pretty much every opportunity. I thought that meant they were my second team, but ever since Messi left I've not cared a jot about them.

Â