1. 1. Pick the two!

• Luiz + McGinn
    • Luiz + Tielemans
    • Luiz + Kamara
    • Kamara + Tielemans
    • Kamara + McGinn
    • McGinn + Tielemans

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/23 at 06:56

I know we’ll rotate and play lots of games this year, but let’s say it’s the FA cup final (a game where we’d pick our best team), who would start as the two in central midfield…

It’s also obviously early days and there may even be a formation change to accommodate three in midfield so take this with a pinch of salt. Personally, I don’t think Emery will change the system and 2 will always fight it out for the central spots. 

I can see us adopting a 433 or 4141 at times this season, especially if we see another wide player come in. We’d therefore possibly be playing three of them at the same time.

Assuming Ramsey and Buendia are preferred out wide I’d go Kamara, Luiz, Tielemans/McGinn.

If it was just the two though, n a double pivot, it has to be Kamara/Luiz for me (at the moment) but Luiz has some competition in Tielemans I think. 

• Like 1

We won't play with a midfield two.  Our "first choice" midfield will be Kamara, Tielemans and Luiz.  The extra player will depend on whether we are playing home or away and on who we are playing.  The added bonus is that we can rotate in other players pretty seemlessly.

My prediction is that not very long into the season, people will start to recognise that possibly we have one of the best midfield units in the league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

All 4 can play. We were playing a 4222 last season as it was and 622 in defence. 

Luiz Kamara

McGinn Tielemans 

Watkins Diaby

In front of back 4 could be starting 11

I think that’s our best generic team at the moment and would be scary to play against. 

• Like 1

I think the question will be on whether we play with a winger and a support forward or whether we play with the box four midfielders.

If we play with the box, then it'll be a straight shootout between Luiz, Kamara, McGinn, Tielemans and Jacob Ramsey, with one of those missing out.

If we play with Diaby and Buendia behind Watkins, then I'm guessing it'll be McGinn, Luiz and Kamara with Tielemans and Ramsey backing up.

I think we'll mix it up a lot though.

• Like 1

What's brilliant about them is how different they all are and how much they complement each other.

McGinn is the bustling forward thinker who wants to get around the box, Luiz the player who can bring the team forward with the ball, Tielemans passing from deep, Kamara's positioning and ball winning and Ramsey's running power.

Emery is very noticeably building a tool kit - different attributes for different games and different systems.

It's a mile away from last summer and we look really strong.

• Like 4

Think we'll start with Kamara Luiz at the base and McGinn and Buendia the two ahead of them.

Tielemans could well force himself in though on the basis of what we've seen in preseason - but I don't see hom playing higher otherwise Unai would have tried it in one of these games.

Ramsey will replace Buendia as first choice when fit - I'm expecting a big season from him.

As many have mentioned all 4 of them have their own strengths and qualities so it’s no longer about having 2 that are always nailed on start. Whoever Emery picks we will have a good midfield. But if we then lose that game he picked the wrong two ;)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Luiz, Kamara and Tielemans all playing.

Luiz Kamara Tielemans

Diaby Watkins New LW 

With McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia and Bailey all rotating in and out of the team. Not sure that will happen though with McGinn being captain.

• Like 2

Â