1. 1. Pick the two!

• Luiz + McGinn
    • Luiz + Tielemans
    • Luiz + Kamara
    • Kamara + Tielemans
    • Kamara + McGinn
    • McGinn + Tielemans

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/23 at 06:56

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Can't see Dendoncker staying now, he's not going to get much game time, except probably to rest Kamara.  But if we need cover for Kamara then Chambers can surely fulfill that role.

Donk will certainly be sold if there's anything in the Tyler Adams link.

I would say though he was a regular for Wolves when they made quarters of europa league in 2020 so would be useful option in europe but yes think we'll sell him if we get a bid of what we paid.

5 hours ago, TomC said:

With the box, I don't see it so much as one straight shootout as two straight shootouts. Tielemans, Doug, and Kamara for the back 2 of the box.

Absolutely agree with you on this bit - we've got two for each position - but especially here wit Dendoncker also in the mix and even Chambers at a push.

JJ, McGinn, Buendia, Bailey, and JPB for the front 2 of the box.

On this bit though, I don't think Bailey or JPB would ever be part of the box - they'd compete for the 'loose' forward who plays off Watkins - they'd provide the width on the right with Moreno providing it down the left and McGinn and JJ in between.  I think Doug can play higher and get in the mix for that, maybe Tielemans too, but I don't see it as something that Buendia would do in anything but an emergency.

I voted Doug and Tielemans because, in the three preseason games I saw, Tielemans outperformed Kamara. That said, I think that it's pretty clear that you will see all three in most games while they're healthy.

I think we'll most often see four as the box, so maybe Kamara and Doug behind Ramsey and McGinn for example, with Watkins up front and Diaby playing off him - but I also think we'll see three a fair bit with two playing off Watkins, we've seen a fair bit of that in pre-season - we may even see a bit of both with three at the back, a four man box midfield in front of them and two men further forward supporting Ollie - I didn't vote because I don't think we'll see just the two very often at all.

It's a brilliant mix of players which give Emery the tools to try different ways to beat teams.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On this bit though, I don't think Bailey or JPB would ever be part of the box - they'd compete for the 'loose' forward who plays off Watkins - they'd provide the width on the right with Moreno providing it down the left and McGinn and JJ in between.  I think Doug can play higher and get in the mix for that, maybe Tielemans too, but I don't see it as something that Buendia would do in anything but an emergency.

I think that Unai used Buendia in the box last year. As I see it, the front two in the box are players playing in half space, and Buendia thrives in that role. The front five form a "W" (let's face it, the 3-box-3 is just an update to the old W-M).

Moreno                   Watkins                     Diaby

Buendia                    McGinn

35 minutes ago, TomC said:

Moreno                   Watkins                     Diaby

Buendia                    McGinn             

I think we'll maybe see some of that, but mostly Buendia played the Diaby role last season with Ramsey where Buendia is and Kamara and Luiz behind.

It'll be horses for courses and we've got a manager who knows exactly what he's doing - it's going to be flexible and it's going to be exciting, we've got a lot of quality right now.

Can't answer the poll because I genuinely have no idea. They're all so good.

I think it'll be Luiz and Kamara for Newcastle though: Tielemans is great but a big part of Newcastle's playstyle is just having the most relentless athletes: think that's a better matchup for Luiz and Kamara than the less physical Tielemans. But it's so good that we have options! Ability to adapt!

Have we ever had a more technically proficient selection of midfielders than this bunch?

I'd say particularly Luiz and Tielemens, but both Kamara and McGinn are both very good too (even if Kamara looks more composed vs McGinn's rampaging approach :D).

• 8 months later...

The sample size is too small. 
There have been plenty of games where Tielemans has been crap in central midfield (though I do like him and think he’s very good)

What we should be happy with is that we can be missing key players like Luiz and Kamara and still put in excellent displays like the last two league games

• Like 3

Anyone alongside McGinn in the center is strong. He's the key. Reminds me a lot of Petrov, as in he does whatever is asked of him by the manger. Plays wherever he's asked to the best of his ability.

Great player but still underrated for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Anyone alongside McGinn in the center is strong. He's the key. Reminds me a lot of Petrov, as in he does whatever is asked of him by the manger. Plays wherever he's asked to the best of his ability.

I prefer McGinn in the middle. Then let Diaby, Bailey, Watkins and Rogers do there stuff up top

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Absolutely he and Luiz need to work on establishing a chemistry in that central midfield because it's not been great.

Basically they need a Rocky III montage.

38 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

It's still Luiz and Kamara and it's not even close.

Oh it's definitely Kamara plus another. 0% hesitation.

Unai Emery is a **** outrageous miracle worker.

It's Luiz and Kamara by a mile. 

Personally for Chelsea I think I might put Luiz further forward. Tielemans and Mcginn seem to have developed a nice chemistry as a duo in midfield that Luiz doesn't have with Mcginn or Tielemans for whatever reason (probably because Tielemans isn't physical enough and Mcginn never drops to receive the pass which prevents Luiz from being higher up himself to make the passes he wants). 

Either way though Luiz is the best player of the 4, the question how we can unlock him not whether or not he shouldn't be starting. 

40 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh it's definitely Kamara plus another. 0% hesitation.

Unai Emery is a **** outrageous miracle worker.

Kamara and Mcginn and Kamara and Tielemans is still a mile off Luiz and Kamara. 

Next season’s central midfield for me is the next big debate.

Imho, Luiz will be sold, irrespective of qualifying for CL as we need the dosh. In any case, I seriously do not think Luiz & Kamara is the best pairing. Against Arsenal & Bournemouth, McGinn & Tielemans were fantastic. Mostly Luiz has been brilliant but at others he seems prone to losing the ball. I have always felt McGinn is best in the centre and both he and Tielemans are capable of defence splitting passes. Both are like terriers out of possession. For some time I felt Tielemans was a bottler but now he really gets stuck in and is one of our most improved players. The only slight worry I have about McGinn is that he sometimes tries his trademark arse-turn too deep - he got away with a few on Sunday. As Luiz is back for Chelsea game, almost certainly Emery will revert but it will be interesting to see how we set up for the  2024/25 season. Hopefully, Kamara, Ramsey, Buendia etc will all come back fit and able to play, but I will be happy if we start with McGinn & Tielemans. 

Â