LGBTQ+

Seat68

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am aware of Italy's politics going further to the right, again but this is completely disgusting. 

There's a decent growth rate of far right-ism across many countries for a variety of reasons. The west could be moving from a period of progressive liberal politics back to a more conservative, insular society. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I see you Italy and raise you Kenya. Kenya seeing what Uganda are doing with regards their treatment of homosexuals and think we want a piece of that shitty pie. Uganda currently have the harshest anti gay laws in the world. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66079603

A member of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) seen reacting after Kenya's High Court ruled to uphold the British-era penal code that criminalises gay sex (Photo: 24 May 2019)IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
In the latest sign of rising homophobia in different African countries, a Kenyan opposition MP is leading a campaign for parliament to further criminalise the country's small LGBTQ community.

George Peter Kaluma's move comes after neighbouring Uganda adopted a tough new anti-gay law, rejecting threats by US President Joe Biden to impose sanctions and travel restrictions on "anyone involved in serious human rights abuses".

When I met Mr Kaluma - a member of veteran Kenyan opposition politician Raila Odinga's Orange Democratic Movement - he was sitting behind his desk at his office in the capital Nairobi, proof-reading and making corrections to a bill that he intends to table in parliament soon.

"We want to prohibit everything to do with homosexuality," Mr Kaluma tells me, adding that his bill will be much broader than the legislation passed by Uganda's parliament and approved by President Yoweri Museveni in May.

I guess it's not like anyone in the developed world would have anything to do with this.

Although the meeting in Uganda was billed as an attempt to protect the "sovereignty" of African states, it was actually co-sponsored by an American Christian right-wing organisation, Family Watch International (FWI).

Oh. 

I'll take the thread in a different direction and honestly ask this question - what's a queer? And how does that differ from LGBT

And does the "+" mean and others or something in particular?

I sometimes see criticism of straight people for not always understanding but at the same time I don't understand because deep down I don't really care... But that's as an opposite of prejudice

And at the same time I will throw the old man comment out, some of this moves so fast that if like me you're not paying attention or don't care you lose track of it, there's a huge difference between being a homophobic asshole and someone who simoly makes no effort to understand this world because I've got no interest in it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'll take the thread in a different direction and honestly ask this question - what's a queer? And how does that differ from LGBT

I sometimes see criticism of straight people for not always understanding but at the same time I don't understand because deep down I don't really care... But that's as an opposite of prejudice

And at the same time I will throw the old man comment out, some of this moves so fast that if like me you're not paying attention or don't care you lose track of it, there's a huge difference between being a homophobic asshole and someone who simoly makes no effort to understand this world because I've got no interest in it

Id say someone who criticises someone who doesnt understand and wants to be educated is ignorant. Whether they LGBTQ person or not.

This subject is not something im a expect on.  It doesnt really effect me that's why im not heavily invested in it.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think it’s just a cover all term meaning ‘not straight’. I think the idea is some people don’t like to have a well defined (limiting?) label about themselves and prefer a more broad term. I’m not an expert though so someone will probably be along shortly to correct me 😁

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Work at a media agency in Brum so know the author of this article and for those who care the LGBTQ+ thesaurus is in all its glory below:

LGBTQ+ terms explained - what you need to know (yahoo.com)

For decades, the LGBTQ+ community has been bruised by words. My queer younger self used to fear the words that became my labels. Walking on eggshells down school corridors, I was terrified of being called ‘gay’ or ‘poof’ – a sign someone had discovered my secret.

At the time, they were hateful words. But in all honesty, I was a ‘poof’ – always have been, always will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Unfortunately whether we agree with it or not its their countries and they can do as they please no matter how bad it is. Isnt most of the middle east against all the LGBTQ movement too?

What about the people that are born in these countries that are punished and even killed for something that they have absolutely no control over?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What about the people that are born in these countries that are punished and even killed for something that they have absolutely no control over?

Like i said in my previous post whether we like it or not its theie country they can do as they please.  I of course thinks its barbaric however what is 7 people on a villa forum going to do? Your not going to change the way they do things. 

Its going to take time and the people living there are the ones who can implement change by challenging their governments on these issues.

My advice is if you dont like what the country does just dont go there. What more can you do?

Edited by Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My answer to this commonly voiced opinion is: If you had lived in the 1930s, would have said the same about Nazi Germany? "They're gassing Jews in concentration camps? Oh, well, it's their country, well within their rights, none of our business, is it? Doesn't directly affect me, anyway" 

??? 

The world was a different place back then. What is your expectation? Our government getting involved telling other countries how to run their country?

Not gonna happen and let's say even if they did they would just tell us to piss off its their country we cant tell them how to run theie country.  Its like saudi arabia coming here and saying to our government we dont like  gay people showing signs of affection in public  stop this and ban it like we do. We would tell them to go get ****

32 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Hard to believe given the state of play now that same sex marriage was only granted lawful status on 13th March 2014 here in England and Wales.

Not trying to make excuses for the barbaric countries but was plenty of homophobia flying around on these shores in 70s-90s and yet thing were only rectified less than a decade ago.

Think with the Middle East anti-LGTBQ beliefs and convictions are so enshrined in their religion I can't really see anything changing for the foreseeable future. Hey at least Saudi Arabia lets Women drive cars now so anything is possible I guess.....

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Hard to believe given the state of play now that same sex marriage was only granted lawful status on 13th March 2014 here in England and Wales.

Not trying to make excuses for the barbaric countries but was plenty of homophobia flying around on these shores in 70s-90s and yet thing were only rectified less than a decade ago.

Think with the Middle East anti-LGTBQ beliefs and convictions are so enshrined in their religion I can't really see anything changing for the foreseeable future. Hey at least Saudi Arabia lets Women drive cars now so anything is possible I guess.....

it's not gone away. there's a reason sky sports turns replies off on their tweets about rainbow laces etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That’s far more objectionable than any of if 

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My answer to this commonly voiced opinion is: If you had lived in the 1930s, would have said the same about Nazi Germany? "They're gassing Jews in concentration camps? Oh, well, it's their country, well within their rights, none of our business, is it? Doesn't directly affect me, anyway" 

??? 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The world was a different place back then. What is your expectation? Our government getting involved telling other countries how to run their country?

Not gonna happen and let's say even if they did they would just tell us to piss off its their country we cant tell them how to run theie country.  Its like saudi arabia coming here and saying to our government we dont like  gay people showing signs of affection in public  stop this and ban it like we do. We would tell them to go get ****

I think this is part of the problem we can’t go back to the times where european countries had a say in what went on around the world it’s scary to think that less than 40 years ago natives were treated like animals in they’re own country. There’s a reason why the world is broken and it has a lot to do with these developed countries.

Â